Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ruma.K

Chapter 1

“Your majesty, Bertha has sent word that a Shadite has crossed into the kingdoms.”

“Using the portal?”

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Interesting. Tell Bertha to keep an eye on him for me.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

*^*

Zeno hurried into the forest, away from the forest, panting. He was blinded by the sunlight which did not exist in the Exiled Lands. The forest too, was so green and lush that Zeno wondered if it was paradise. There was chirping of birds and a beautiful breeze which carried the sweet scent of flowers and the leaves whispered secrets to one another. After living in the midst of dead, dried trees and barren land, he felt both excited and fearful.

So this is how the kingdom people live…He looked around, walking towards a huge tree which blocked most of the sun. He sat down with a sigh, letting his long black hair fall over his left eye, thinking about the mission his father had given him to prove himself worthy. Of course, his brand proved to be a problem.  After all, that was a sure way to recognize an escaped Shadite, dark creatures who lived in the Exiled Lands. Since he could not remove it, his father, King of the Exiled, had moved it to his back.

Zeno took out a map from his rucksack, and spread it open. It was a map of the four kingdoms, North, West, East and South with a big red dot on the western mountains to represent where the thing he was looking for was.

“The gem of Luxrae…” He mumbled, putting it back inside his bag and getting up to go but first putting up his hood as he was still unsure of the sun. Then suddenly he grasped his side, checking the pocket of his dark green cape and let out a sigh of relief. He took out the small pouch made of leather and from inside in he took out his treasure: A light green ocarina which he had had since he was a child. He had played it in secret all his life, light, happy tunes, sad and dark tunes which seemed to come out of nowhere. His father had once taken it away and threatened to break it if he heard him playing such “soppy” tunes, as he called it. Zeno carefully tucked it in his pocket and set off deep into the forest.

*^*

So this is the Northern village…Zeno thought, peeking at the giant gates from afar. He wondered if anyone would recognize him as a Shadite. Taking a deep breath, he wandered close to the gates, where two Elves were guarding it. They immediately looked up and stared at him, suspiciously. As soon as Zeno was at the gates they stopped him.

“State your identity,” said one of the elves, his hand on his sword.

“An elf as you can see…from the Southern kingdom.” Zeno took of his hood and pointed to his pointy ear with three blue earrings in it.

“How old are you and what’s your name?”

“Zeno, I’m nineteen.” Zeno replied, his heart beating fast.

The elves looked at each other and then moved away, letting him pass through.

Ha…Zeno, Prince of the Shadites, more like, Zeno thought, grinning.

The village was full of Elves, dwarves and he saw a Viking or two as well. Everyone was laughing and talking, without a care in the world. The market was selling things Zeno had never seen before, like ‘Hair growing cream’ and ‘Grow some teeth!’ and ‘Charm the ladies! Automatic Prince Charming look!’

Zeno rolled his eyes and smirked. He didn’t need that one, that’s for sure, he thought, winking at some lady elves who immediately giggled and started whispering. Zeno shook his head and stared at the massive castle which stood on top of a hill outside the village. The towers gleamed in the sun and he could see a Xonius dragon perched on top of one of the towers, the most fearsome yet obedient type of dragons. Of course, if it doesn’t like you, you’re a goner. Stealing an apple from a stall, he continued walking, looking for an inn.

“Hey, mate!”

Zeno turned around and staring into a face with blonde hair coming up to its nose. He stepped backwards and accidently tripped on his cape and fell down.

“Oh, sorry!” the person grinned and offered him a hand which Zeno refused. He got up, enraged, but managed to hide it.

“Who are you?” He asked through gritted teeth, looking him up and down. He seemed his age, and had blonde hair which was tied back into a loose ponytail but the bangs still covered half his face.

“The name’s Shojin. Call me Sho, everyone does,” He said grinning, “You’re new here arentcha? Lemme show you around.”

Zeno thought hard. He didn’t know the kingdoms well and even though he didn’t want to admit it, he needed some help.

“You’re hired.” He said and Sho put his arm around him.

“Great! Where’re you headed? You’re Zeno, aren’t you? I asked the guards.”

“Yes…” Zeno took his hand off his shoulder, “I need an inn to spend the night.”

Sho nodded and marched off, while Zeno jogged behind. It was amazing how well Sho could dodge people even though he couldn’t see anything.

“You said one night? Leaving so soon?” Sho called, turning into a street.

“Yes, I’m heading west.” Zeno followed him, knocking down a few people along the way.

“West? What for? That’s Viking territory, that is.”

“Not to the village, the mountains.”

“The what?” Sho stopped abruptly in front of a two-story house with a sign which read “Gin et Vodka”

“The mountains!” Zeno panted, looking as if he could strangle Sho.

“Are. You. Barking. Mad?” Zeno couldn’t see Sho’s eyes but he was sure he was looking at him as if he was a lunatic.

“What? Why can’t I go there?” Zeno asked defensively.

“That place is full of monsters! No one has gotten out of there alive!” Sho put his hands on Zeno’s shoulders, “You’ll die.”

Zeno chuckled and brushed of Sho’s hands.

“Death is my slave,” He looked up at the sign, “Is this the place?”

Sho nodded and Zeno went inside. It was a bar, with a band playing festive music and the laughter and talk filled the place. Zeno looked around, disgusted.

“How dare they keep laughing in my presence?” He spat and Sho looked at him, surprised.

“What, are you supposed to be some hot shot or something? Come and get a drink! I know the bartender; he’ll give you half off. Hey, Draske!”

He pulled Zeno over to the counter and sat him down.

“Sho!” The man at the bar grinned, “Same as usual? And who’s this youngster?”

“Zeno from the south.” Sho said as Zeno stared into space, trying not to blow.

“Hand us a beer! And make it free, so he knows what kind of man you are, eh?”

Draske laughed and handed them a bottle of beer.

“Free for him, but not for you, lad.” He said and some of the men chuckled as Shojin protested.

“Zeno, say something, he’ll listen to you- Woah, are you okay?”

Zeno forced a smile and turned to him.

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“Your eye…” Sho stared, and Zeno looked in the beer bottle glass. His eyes were completely red.

“Yes, that happens sometimes.” He said and started drinking, “Cheers. I’ll pay for you.”

“Heck yeah!” Sho cried drinking his beer, “Everyone, give it up for Zeno!”

The bar applauded and laughed while Zeno sighed.

I can kill them all without a sound…how easy it would be…But father forbade me…Trust…Make them trust you…It will be more satisfying…

“So about the mountains…” Sho asked, “Why are you heading there?”

“That is not your business.”

Sho nodded.

“I’ll tag along.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’ll come with you. You’re new here aren’t you? You need me. There are beasts which you don’t know anything about. I can help you there.”

Zeno looked at him, thinking.

I can easily kill him after getting the jewel…

“Alright,” He smiled innocently, “Come along if you want.”

Sho cheered and clapped him on the back.

“Alright, then, it’s settled!”

“Do you know anything about the gem of Luxrae?” Zeno asked, after a while.

“The gem of Luxrae? Been missing for at least twelve years. Right, Draske?”  Sho asked the bartender.

Draske nodded.

“Last I heard of it, it was in the hands of a pirate who just recently got executed. He left no hints as to where it is; neither did he have any relations who knew about it. But…” He scratched his chin with his dirty nails, “I’m sure he had a grandson. Dunno where he is now, though.”

Hmm…Zeno thought. I wonder how father knew about it being in the Western mountains.

“What’s that gotta do with you, though?” Sho asked, curiously, “Don’t tell me you’re interested in it?”

“Sort of.” Zeno answered, finishing his beer. Turning to Draske he asked, “Do you have an available room?”

“That we do, lad. One night is forty silver rix.” Draske asked, leaning under the counter to get a key.

Zeno nodded and went straight to his room after handing him the money and telling Sho to meet him at dawn. They would then buy supplies and head out. Even though it was early he went straight to sleep dreaming about the day he became king.

 

*^*

“This, definitely,” Sho announced, holding up a bottle with blue powder in it, “It makes things float no matter how heavy it is. It’ll help!”

“Yes, yes.” Zeno waved his hand and let Sho pay for it, “What about this? An ointment to make things grow. It’ll be useful if we need more food.”

Sho laughed.

“Yes, let’s get it! I would love a never-ending burger,” he said, grinning, “I say, this is fun, eh? I don’t get along much with people my age. I don’t mind though. Draske and the others at the bar treat me like family.”

Zeno could have slapped himself. He was supposed to kill the Elf for goodness sakes! He can’t get attached to him!

“I think we have all we need now.” He said, turning to Sho, “Food and supplies, check. Now let’s get out of here, already.”

“Alright then!” Sho said, putting the new ointment in his bag pack and heaving it up on his shoulder, “Let’s go then! You have a map, right?”

“Yes,” Zeno started walking towards the gates. Then he suddenly moved close to Sho and whispered in his ear, “Don’t look behind you and keep walking.”

Sho immediately turned around then realizing his foolishness, bent down and pretended to pick up something he dropped while Zeno rubbed his forehead.

“Sorry.” Sho grinned, “Why though?”

“There’s someone following us…ever since we left the bar.”

“Was he wearing a helmet with a blue rose etched onto it?”

“I think so, yes. You know him?”

Sho lowered his voice even more and looked at Zeno.

“He’s one of the palace guards, I reckon…”

Zeno clicked his tongue in annoyance. They’re onto him already? But there was no way-

“The portal…” He muttered. Of course the portal would be closely guarded by the Eastern Queen. But why hadn’t she captured him yet?

“Portal? What portal-“Sho asked loudly and Zeno smacked him on the head.

“Quiet!”

“Sorry. What portal?”

“I said ‘mortal’.”

“Oh…okay.”

Zeno went red, knowing that Sho probably thought he was crazy. He curled his fist in his pocket.

“There’s the gates,” Sho pointed, “Get the map out.”

As much as Zeno hated Sho’s bossy way of speaking, he took out the map and spread it out.

“We need to pass through the northern forest and the village of Gerth.” Sho said, peeking at it, “That will take three days.”

“I know that.” Zeno put the map in his pocket, “Well, let’s keep going then. Have you any weapons to use?”

“I’ve got a dagger.” Sho took out a dagger with a beautiful, carved sheath with shone like gold, “Been in my family. Saved Grampy’s life once. He died two days later, though. Speaking of which, does your family live in the south?”

“My mother died and my father works somewhere else. I have no siblings.” Zeno said, as they neared the forest, “Will your family not worry about you? You might die. Have you said goodbye to them?”

Sho laughed.

“My family left me a long time ago. My granddad raised me, but as I said, he died about two years ago.”

“Your family left you?”

“Oh yeah. Turns out they wanted a girl. My father hated me at first sight and my mum left me to grandad. They moved east. Haven’t heard of them since.”

Zeno was silent. He had grown up as a prince and people respected him without even knowing who he was. He wasn’t exactly loved, but he was respected, at least.

“You have some of my sympathy.” He said, awkwardly, “If you want, I can kill them for you.”

After I kill you, of course.

“You’re a weird guy aren’t you, Zeno?” Sho asked, grinning, “But you’re alright.”

“Zeno?”

“That’s your name right? Or did I get it wrong?”

“No, that’s my name. I have been called other names though.”

“Like what? I had weird nicknames. Like, Blondie or Blindy. Cuz, my hair, you know. “

“I see…Are you really blind?”

Sho grinned.

“Sort of.” And after that, he grew quiet.

The forest grew darker and darker. The trees blocked out almost all the sun, making it look like it was night time. Strange sounds were coming from here and there, sounding like dying birds. The trees were black with grey leaves.

“I’ve heard too many creepy stories about this forest…” Sho said, taking hold of Zeno’s cape.

“I can take on anything,” boasted Zeno, looking around, “They are just…birds and insects.”

“People have never seen a living creature here…”

“That’s absurd. They are probably not used to people.”

“One of them got scratched by something and he was in a clearing. There was nothing around, not even a bird.”

Zeno took a deep breath.

“Well then, let’s get out of here as soon as possible.”

Sho nodded.

Suddenly a scream pierced through the sky like a bullet and then echoed through the trees. Sho yelled and so did Zeno, who immediately stopped and cursed.

“What the hell was that?”

“How am I supposed to know?”

“I wasn’t asking you!”

“Then who were you asking, the trees? Cuz I don’t think they’ll tell us.”

Zeno whipped around, enraged.

“You dare make fun of-“

Another yell came from Zeno’s right and he looked at the trees.

“Come.” He said to Sho and started towards where the scream came from.

“Um, why are we heading TOWARDS the yell? Aren’t we supposed to be heading away from it?”

“Quiet.” Zeno stepped over the curled tree roots and through a narrow path, avoiding the thorns. Then he stopped and stared.

“Shojin, so not come here if you don’t like blood.”

Right in front of him was a man’s body completely ripped apart. His face showed horror and some of his teeth were missing. There was a big scar from his forehead to his cheek.

“It’s the guard that was following me!” Zeno said.

“That’s nice, can we go now? That thing might still be around you know.”

Zeno turned around and started walking away, when something wound around his feet and pulled. He fell to the ground and the next thing he knew, he was being dragged through the forest, hitting his head on branches and rocks. He yelled and tried to hold onto a branch but whatever it was pulled so hard that the branch broke. Zeno tried to look back to see where it was heading and wasn’t happy to see a cliff from where the black slimy thing which was pulling him was coming from. He felt his legs in midair and was about to fall off when Sho grabbed his hands, pulling him towards him.

“Enjoying…the rollercoaster ride?” He panted as he managed to pull Zeno onto the ground, “Hold onto the tree trunk.”

Zeno held on to the tree while Sho took out his dagger and stabbed the black slime which shrieked and disappeared under the cliff. Sho helped up Zeno.

“You okay, mate?” he asked, taking deep breaths, “Man, that thing is fast. Good thing I’m a fast runner. My granddad chased me around a lot, with a stick.”

“Thanks…” Zeno stood up, rubbing his head which was full of small cuts and bruises. His hair was also messed up and Sho looked at his left eye which was usually covered with hair. It was closed and a scar ran from it to his cheek.

“I say…How’d you get that cut?”

Zeno let his hair fall over his eye again, not answering the question.

“What was that thing, anyway?”

“A Skint,” said Sho, “As you saw, they’re black, slimy creatures that like to give tours around the forest. They usually have a face but I guess yours put theirs to shame, hahaha!”

Zeno grinned, taking out leaves from his hair.

“I thought you said there weren’t any creatures in the forest.”

“Well, we know these creatures but we’ve never seen them here.”

“Lost!” Sho announced cheerfully and Zeno looked around, “Hey, I have a healing ointment if you want.”

“Later.” Zeno said, heading away from the cliff, “We’ll try climbing a tree to see where we are.”

“Yeah, alright.”

They headed back into the forest, looking around carefully for any signs of Skints or other creatures. They spotted an easy to climb tree with plenty of thick branches and Sho climbed up it, muttering about ‘rabid birds’ and ‘poisonous leaves’.

“Oh, I see something!” Sho cried, “We should head straight on, I see a chimney or something.”

He climbed back down and Zeno immediately grabbed his collar.

“Why. The. Heck. Are you so loud?” He hissed angrily.

A huge crash was heard and the whole ground shook.

“Whoops.” Sho smiled nervously.

“GOOOOAAAAUUGGGGH!!!”

“What was-“Zeno started, but shook his head, “Just run.”

They rushed through the forest, dodging low branched and jumping over tree roots. The stomps were growing closer and closer.

“Mind telling me what that is?” Zeno asked Sho as they ran.

“Probably a Helix! That might be what killed the guard!” Sho cried, “They’re huge!”

Another roar.

Zeno grinned.

“It’s loud…I don’t like loudness. Keep that in mind, will you?”

He turned around and stopped.

“What are you doing?” Sho asked, curiously.

“I shall kill it and wear its skin.”

“You’re crazy aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

The stomping was just a small distance away. Zeno could see a hairy face through the trees, with glowing white eyes. It looked like some sort of ape but three times bigger. It stood on four legs and slowly came towards Zeno, snorting. It had a gigantic tail with a tip of huge needle at the end and its claws were sharp and black. Sho grinned and leaned against a tree.

“I like crazy.”

“Stay tuned.” Zeno smirked, and raised his arms. Heat started rising from them and they glowed with green light. He curled them into fists and with a yell, he ran straight at the Helix and punched it in the side of its face. It flew a couple of meters, breaking trees and landing with a roar on the ground. Zeno laughed and menacingly walked towards it while Sho watched with an open mouth. He punched the Helix again and again in the face, the belly, the arms and legs until it couldn’t get up. He then created a laser from the beam and Sho could hardly see it move as it was so fast. At last, it stopped and the Helix lay there, cut into pieces while Zeno stood there grinning and panting.

“Damn…” He said, “I ruined the skin…”

“The head should be good enough…!” Sho called to him, “There’s a weapon maker in the Village of Garth! He can make a helmet for you…or something.”

“Very well.” Zeno said and he lifted the head of the Helix which was only a bit smaller than Zeno himself, “Onwards, then.”

He marched ahead while Sho stared after him-then he ran up to him.

“That was bloody amazing!” he cried, “I’ve never seen that fighting style before! I was planning out what to do for your funeral but then BAM!” Zeno jumped, and then glared at Sho. “You were awesome back there! Are you sure you’re from the south?”

“You’re being loud again. Are we going the right way?”

“Huh, oh yeah. I think it’s around here somewhere…Oh there! It’s right there!” 



© 2014 Ruma.K


Author's Note

Ruma.K
Please leave feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on January 6, 2014
Last Updated on January 6, 2014


Author

Ruma.K
Ruma.K

Writing