Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Ryan Rynders

PROLOGUE
YORK 1837
The wind outside was brisk and the rain was as sharp on Gabriel Louves' face as tiny daggers. It was already late in the evening when he finally decided it was best to head home, of course the sudden rain burst had its influence, and the only light illuminated from a distant full moon and few speckled stars scattered ever so randomly.
His pace quickened with every step, eager for a warm meal and dry clothes. The walk was not long, a few distractions along the way always made it a pleasant one, tonight however was different. A heavy burden seemed to rest on his chest, an unknwon one to him, the day was lovely and perfectly normal, beside his near fatal accident of a felled tree falling in his direction, nothing went wrong. The itch made him restless.
In the distance small lights loomed and grew every second. Gabriel couldn't help but think how comforting it was to see home, knowing that the people you love were waiting on the other side of the cold, damp, stone walls. The smell of smoke filled Gabriels nostrils as he approached, he knew a steady puff of smoke was floating from the chimney, even though he couldn't see it due to the rain and dark night sky. Any home without a fire warming its heart was not a home, he thought.
The door of the house was small compared to his large build, he couldn't count the amount of times he knocked his head on the frame.
"Father! Father!" three little figures raced around the only corner in the two bedroom cottage and hurtled for Gabriel with full force, almost knocking him back into the cold rain. Their hugs were powerful and fierce with childly love for their father.
"Quiet you three! You'll wake little Esther" Amanda Louves' voice was gentle but firm as it carried across the room from a small corner. She was seated in a beautifully crafted rocking chair, the only peice of treasured furniture in the house, in her lap was what appeared to be a baby sized jumper, her hands still as she ceased her sewing.
"Hello dear.." Amanda became ever more beautiful to Gabriel with every passing day, he truly was blessed.
"You were out late tonight, I was starting to worry, it's raining buckets out there." Her eyes were gentle as she met her husbands across the room. The grey of her pupils were ignited to silver as the fire in the hearth glinted and reflected against them.
"Yes, The crew decided to push a little harder today... and a little later. I am exhausted but you know me." He dared not mention the incident to her, she knew the job was dangerous but was always concerned none the less, it comforted him in a way.
"Yes, yes. 'Hard work is a glorious reward in itself' " She quoted him with a deep and manly voice "But if you work any harder dear, you will never see sixty."
A small shiver ran down his back and he felt a sudden cold, he couldn't place his finger on what was burdening him. Perhaps he was just cold, his long hair was plastered against his unshaved face, made ever darker because it was wet.
The three little figures still swarmed around their parents as they chased each other around the room, quietly, they knew when to listen to their mother.
Gabriel shrugged his heavy sheep skin coat off and hung it on a steel hook next to the door, a small puddle started to form at the base.
"How is little Jude? Feeling any better?" The memory of the sleepless night the night before was still fresh, Judes' screams of pain still echoed gravely in his mind.
"He seems as fit as a fiddle! I don't understand Gabriel... Some days he is the healthiest child I've seen and other days it is as if he is on his death bed..."The concern in her voice was hard no to hear. Her attention was fully focused on Gabriel and the sewing lay untouced in her lap.
"And we've had Doctor Mortimer have a look again?"
"Yes. He came by again this afternoon and clearly stated that there seemed nothing wrong! Gabriel.. I don't want to lose him..."
"Amanda dear.." Gabriel easily covered the gap between them in two large strides, he knelt in front of her and cupped his large caloused hands over her small soft ones. They were warm in comparison to his, they thawed them pleasantly "Jude is a Louve, he is a warrior! He will... We will, emerge from this as a whole family ... Amanda, I love you and I love them equally. It was my promise to you when we married, that I would look after you and all of our precious  creations..." A lonely tear rolled down Amandas cheek and brought a sorrowful beat to Gabriels heart, gently he removed it as he kissed her forehead.
"Now, how about some family music?" He stood up warily from his kneeling position, towering over his seated wife, his every bone ached from fatigue "Come along you little rascals, we're to sing a sweet tune tonight and be joyous, for we are alive and united."
It was an old Louve tradition to sing songs as a family, one which was uncommon among most families.
The fire continued its steady blaze in the hearth as all members found themselves somewhere comfortable; Amanda, after having risen to fetch little Esther, a bundle of blankets, from the room, returned to her previous seat, the three boys Jude, Ezra and Samson gathered at her feet.
"Right!" Gabriel felt a flutter of excitement in his belly as he gathered up his fathers old and battered violin, music was his counselor and escape from the harsh, testing world "I want to hear all my little vocalists tonight and of course.. my dearests"
Music was something which came naturally to Gabriel, he always marvelled at why, with his huge, clumpsy fingers and terrible ear for rythmic tunes.
"Another day has gone under
together we gather, loving each other
sister and brother
father and mother..."
The sweet sound of music filled the room, it made up for the lack of furniture and money, it made the family rich in many ways.
Slowly the children went off with their dreams, eventually the voices died down altogether, those who were left awake listened peacefully to the resounding tunes of the violin. They held a sorrowful tune now...
A loud crash brought the wooden door tumbling to the floor, the walls would have shaken were they not made by strong competent hands and the hardest stone. Frightened by the unexpected entrance, a screeching noise brought the music to an abrupt end. Needless to say all were awoken as five men entered the building in a purposeful manner, each toward their assigned positions, the attack was clearly planned.
The men were dressed in black coats, identical top hats fitted their heads, all wore black masks over their faces, revealing only their eyes, which were mere slits.
One in particular stood out, he was smaller than the rest and dressed differently. A grey coat hung loosely over his shoulders and he wore no hat, his face bare, betraying his indentity.
"Good evening Mr Louve!"
"Henry..." Gabriel was both shocked and frightened to see the man which stood before him. Mr Henry Wood.... his debt collector.
"Pleased to see me old chap? Your face says it all really! Good to see the family together and happy"
"Why are you here, Henry?" Gabriel managed to recover his composure in the knick of time as he stood and towered over Mr Wood, his face set in a fierce line
"Why to collect our payment of course.. or have you forgotten?"
"I was promised one month, it has been a mere two weeks!" His voice boomed over the silence
"Now, now Gabriel. There is no need to get angry at me, I am after all just doing my job" The small Mr wood grinned from ear to ear and he gazed up at Gabriel, if he was in any way frightened of the huge man before him, he hid it extremely well.
"I don't have the money..."
"Gabriel, what is he talking about?" Amanda had gathered all her children and encircled them in her free arm, one held little Esther
"Oh... This is all very delicious I might say" The excitement in Mr woods voice was extremely clear, he looked as if he were about to hop about with happiness " Haven't told the Mrs I see!"
"Gabriel, please.." Amandas voice shook as one of the masked men approached her slowly
"Amanda..." Gabriel had to sound strong in front of her, no matter how much it ashamed him "Let me deal with this, take the children to the other room." She hesitated for a moment and after catching the ordering gaze from Gabriel, started off with the children.
"Not so fast Amanda" it was Mr Wood "I am not finished with you"
"Henry I am warning you! Leave them out of this!" rage distorted Gabriels usually calm expression
"Oh no but I can't, don't you see Gabriel... If you cannot pay me the money tonight, I shall have to take other means of pay..." Mr Woods' stare passed from Gabriel and hungrily settled upon Amanda.
The masked man set himself behind Amanda, startling her, she didn't even notice him approach.
"No! I will not allow it! You filthy rotten stench!" Gabriel made a swift movement for the small figure before him but was caught in mid-air by three of the masked men, beside his bulk they managed to wrestle him to the floor. Commotion unsettled the tense silence as the man behind Amanda grabbed and pulled her into an iron grip, his arms tethered both of hers to her body, sending little Esther falling to the floor.
"Esther!" Amandas scream was ear splitting as Esther collided with a hard thud onto the stone floor "Gabriel!"
Gabriel was wrestling the three men upon him with all his might, fueled by the horrific screams of his beloved, the unsettled cry of three little children and even more so, the deadly silence of Esther.
Swiftly, Gabriel shoved his hand forward and managed to connect his hardened fist with one of his opponents' chest, sending him flying. In the background Mr Wood was cheering merrily and dancing on the spot as he watched the scene before him unravel, like a child being presented with a gift.
Gabriel stilled for a while to hear what was going on around him.
"Bring Mrs Louve." Struggling footsteps echoed in his ears
"Gabriel! Help me!"
"Amanda! Amanda! no..." Gabriel choked on his tears and felt as if all the air was knocked from his gut. Another surge of rage bubbled up as he hurtled the last two off his body and scrambled to his feet.. the house was empty of Amanda, Mr Wood and one of the men. Ezra had gathered up little Esther and was speaking soothing words into the blankets, he remained calm while the others still sobbed and weeped a great loss.
"Boys, take your sister and-"
Darkness.


© 2017 Ryan Rynders


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on January 6, 2017
Last Updated on January 6, 2017
Tags: vigilante, crime, action, victorian era, love, family, adventure, betrayal, London


Author

Ryan Rynders
Ryan Rynders

George, Western Cape, South Africa



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ryan Rynders


Louve Louve

A Book by Ryan Rynders