Too Cool For School

Too Cool For School

A Chapter by EvilToast

I get my stuff ready for school, its pretty early but I want to get to school early so I have enough times to talk to my friends Alijah and Chris. I wonder if they saw that figure last night. With all my stuff ready, I walk to school in deep thought of what I witnessed last night. From behind someone grabs my hand, its soft and smooth, my heart begins to race and I turn to face the culprit of the one who grabbed it. It was Tiffany. She looked so cute with her white blouse and red skirt. The sun was just rising behind her, and it was either the sun or her that took my heart away.
"Hey Sean, I guess I have to walk you to school again." She smiled and squeezed my hand a bit tighter. 
"Well I guess you do." It was my best attempt at flirting, Tiffany was really pretty and it was times like these that made me think she and I would be in a relationship one day. A smile found its way to my face, I couldn't help but feel confident.
"Did you hear anything from Zack? I think he's going to ask me out?" Then it all came crashing down, Zack was the "cool guy" of our class. He was a buffer, someone with the power to increase his strength. I didn't want to talk to her anymore. I let my hand slip a bit, I was no longer eager to walk with her. Was i being friend zoned? I hated this feeling. It didn't seem like she noticed either. We got to school, and I almost threw her hand away. I walked to the usual spot I hang out, Tiffany was saying something but I ignored it, I was use to her being like this. 
When I got to the usual spot, they were already there waiting for me. To my surprise Kamille was there. She's a year older than me; even though she is a senior she seems so childish. She could make me laugh no matter the mood. I kinda like Kamille, but she was always in a relationship so there was never really a chance. I wouldn't know how to deal with it anyway, I have never been in a relationship. She smiles and waves at me. She walks towards me, opens her arms, and hugs me.
"Hey Sean, I missed you, how was your weekend?" She didn't let go, and it was nice having her here, in my arms.
"I almost got robbed by a s****y ghost!" To my surprise, she giggled. She kept holding me, I didn't want her to let go.
"Don't worry Sean, I know you can handle a ghost." She finally let go, i wish she didn't but it was nice while it lasted. Kamille didn't have powers. Neither did Chris. Alijah was a keeper. He had the power to summon certain objects. 
"Hey guys!" 
"Hey Sean." In unison.
"Did any of you see something last night?" For some reason my stomach was in a knot, as if i did something wrong. 
"What are you talking about?" Alijah asked in confusion. 
"I saw a cat outside my window!" Chris said in excitement.
It was getting hard to breath, I felt like somewhere, someone, something, was watching me. Before someone could say something, the bell rang for school. I had regular classes, others with powers could sign up for special classes that cater to their abilities. My classes were Physics, English, Pre-Calculus, History, Emergency Care, and Survival Training. My first four periods are pretty easy, the usual homework and tests. Once it got to Emergency Care, things got difficult. It's a class meant for anyone who wants to be a doctor or nurse. Usually sewers or limiters sign up for the class. Limiters were less powerful than sewers, the difference is that their healing abilities cannot compare and they can slightly increase endurance and strength at any moment. There was only eight of us that didn't have powers in that class. Survival training was a class...that put our lives at risk. The teacher of my Physics class was also the teacher for Survival Training. His names was Professor Gallardo, he was the best swordsman I knew. 
The first four periods pass by pretty quickly today. During Emergency Care we had to diagnose a patient. It was difficult for everyone, the main problem of the lesson today was that the patient had a dangerous fever, and we had a limited time to figure it out. Luckily for me, my family deals with these situations quite often so i kept calm and passed today's lesson with ease. I couldn't say the same for the others in the class. James, a limiter was the only other person to pass today's lesson. He was really great in the medical field. I knew that one day, he perhaps would join the infirmary my family owned. 
Finally the dreaded class was here. My entire family healed people, worked to keep everyone in full condition, so I was a pacifist. The only reason i signed up for the class is so that if I ever had to go out into the wilderness I had the resources and knowledge to survive. The world we lived in called for the need to know how to survive on your own. 
"Welcome class! Today we have a very special lesson. It's going to be very difficult so if you do not think you can do it, then please step down. Do not underestimate the task. This is simply a chance to get a taste of the creatures out there waiting for young adventurers." Professor Gallardo said with such confidence it shook the woods in which we had class in. 
"Professor, what exactly are you talking about?" A senior asked what we were all thinking. A cynical grin reached across his face. The sound of a rattling chain rung in the distance. Scuffling, as if something was being dragged. I could already tell whatever it was, it was massive. 
The woods beside the school was vast and it was entirely engulfed by shadows, nobody truly knew what inhabited the biome. The rattling increased, an eerie roar comes from the depths of the woods. All the students looked frantic. In the distance several trees fall, and a beast breaks through the mysterious shadows. I look in terror, behind me a girl screams in shock of what is being dragged towards us. The creature, bound by chains has wings reaching about ten feet. Professor Gallardo has brought to the class, a griffin. Someone comes to my side and holds my arm. I don't bother to look, I know it's Kamille, I can tell by the way she smells. Although I face such a ferocious beast, my mind still goes about thinking about how sweet she smells, like a spring flower. Something catches my eye; I look to my left I see Tiffany staring over, she quickly turns away. I still haven't forgiven her from what happened in the morning. 
My mind goes blank, the creature is close, I can sense its intention to do harm. Could the griffin be the creature of the previous night...it has wings...no although it is large, it is no where near as big as what i saw last night. I calm down, indeed the griffin wishes to do harm, it does not give me the ominous feeling from what I experienced this morning and the previous night. 
"Class, today you shall work together to fight the griffin. I warn you again, this is not an easy task. Can anyone tell me anything special about the griffin?" A student from the senior class quickly answers. 
"A griffin is usually found guarding treasure or valuable locations, right professor?" The professor nods in approval. 
"So class, all those who feel up to the task, step up. Please if you cannot keep up, step back and simply observe the others." Five other teachers were there holding down the griffin. I could not fight, so I took a step back with the majority of the class. Roughly thirty students stepped forward, including Zack, Alijah, Chris, and Tiffany. Most students weren't too powerful, the strongest was probably a senior named Lex. He was a shocker, someone who can summon lightning from their body. At his best he could probably kill someone with one shot. There were multiple people with powers, but there were normal people as well. Chris picked up an ax from the weapons bench. He was probably the most efficient one without powers. 
As the students got ready to face the griffin, I note that Professor Gallardo has unsheathe his sword, ready to join in the fight if it got too serious for my fellow students. 
"When I sound the bell, the teachers shall release the griffin. If you feel like you cannot continues signal Professor Zal, who will quickly remove you from Professor Mackie's barrier. Professor Zal was a tempter, someone who can influence the mind of any conscious being who does not have a strong enough will. Professor Mackie was a guard, one of the few people who had the power to create barriers. Although the two professors were strong, Professor Gallardo was immensely stronger, even though he had no power. He is so well renowned he has earned the right to be called a knight. The professor can stand face to face with the most powerful flamers, shockers, and anyone else who possess power. 
The space surrounding the students and griffin turn a shade of light orange, Professor Mackie put up the barrier. Almost immediately Professor Gallardo rung the bell and the fight began. The chains dropped from the griffin, and it charged at the closest student, a junior from my class. He was knocked down, the armor he was wearing provided enough defense to prevent any serious damage. A small barrier formed around him, yet the griffin did not stop its charge at him. Without warning, the griffin stopped, backed away and spread its wings. The two professors worked together to ensure his safety. Professor Zal jumped into the small opening Professor Mackie made and carried him out. Close behind were two girls who could not stand the pressure of the fight. 
"Chris, distract it while I work on its right flank!" Alijah took charge of the situation, but before either could do anything, the griffin took flight. It soared high above the students. The griffin was knocked back by the barrier. Dazed by what has happened, three seniors took the chance and rushed the griffin. The three students were able to cause damage, but not nearly enough to stop it. The griffin's powerful talons, ripped through their armor exposing flesh. The griffin raised up its beak and prepared for the finishing blow. The three students began to glow, white rays coming from them. It was Tiffany, she was healing them. The griffin was stopped before it can come down by Zack. A flash of light, then the deafening sound of thunder as Lex shot a powerful beam of lighting at the griffin. A flamer from the junior class takes the chance to burn set the griffin on fire. From behind, Chris slices the griffin's wings, keeping it from going airborne. 
"Zack, careful! The griffin!" The griffin swiped at Zack with incredible speed, but before it could make contact, Alijah summoned a cement wall just to his right. The griffin recoiled, and the students backed away before allowing the griffin to strike. The griffin let loose a cry of pain, and the students head back for another assault. Not allowing the griffin to take advantage, they spread out and use teamwork to suppress the griffin's movement. Some students began to fall due to fatigue, and the limiters could not keep up with the main offensive. Those who cannot continue were rescued by the professors. The fight did not stop, it got to the point that Tiffany and Alijah could no longer participate. 
I stood there shocked to see so many students fall to such a beast, but I was still confident in the outcome. It began to get dark and still the fight kept going. Those who quit the fight were being healed by both the staff and fellow students. From deep within the forest, something came racing towards us. Its body slammed into Professor Mackie, removing his barrier. The damaged griffin knocked Lex and Zack down, while the other students fled towards us. I was paralyzed as to what was happening. Then it occurred to me. A second griffin answered the call of the cries of the other. The students were scrambling to get away from the two beasts. It was a riot. Everyone was too tired, I didn't know what to do, my hands instinctively rose up and formed fists, ready to face the griffins. The two griffins rushed towards the injured students, one charging from the ground, the other in an aerial descent towards us. Most are too weak and injured to stop them, others still in shock. We're in trouble...I'm in trouble. The soaring griffin has set its sights on me! 
"Somebody! Please!" I cry out without fear of ridicule, this may be my last moments. The griffin is only a few meters away, then all of the sudden, everything goes red. The sky stained with a thick crimson liquid, it spreads across my eyesight and rains upon me. Soaking myself and others. The two grffins, cleanly sliced in half, blood spattering everywhere. The griffins remain in place as though they have not realized that they were slain. Standing there in the same spot he has always been, is Professor Gallardo, his suit riddled with blood, his blade, soaked in it. When did he have the time to do that, how did he do that. The griffins fall. The students cheer, and the Professor simply smiles and cleans his blade. 
I finally notice that I'm shaking. In fear? Well whatever it was, I can't help but wonder about the full strength of this man I call my teacher. 
The entire staff rushes out to help. The injured are quickly looked after, and this horrible mess we had for a lesson is being cleaned.
"Sean I heard what happened today, are you all right?" My father said in a concerned tone. All the students were sent home immediately after.
"Yeah pops, I'm fine, I'm just a little worried about what happened today." I look down in disappointment, I feel so ashamed not being able to do anything. 
"What's wrong son?" 
"Dad...what exactly do you know about Professor Gallardo?" He looked confused.
"Well he's a powerful warrior and fought in the first war that broke out. He was almost chosen to be an angel."
"Wait dad, i never heard that term before, what do you mean angel?"
"Well to be considered an angel means you are to be both feared and respected. Only a few people were ever called an angel." I didn't fully understand, but it seams like Professor Gallardo is someone a lot more powerful than he appears. It actually feels reassuring knowing someone like him is close by to protect the people I love. Due to the events, Tiffany did not come by for dinner, I was relieved. 
Tuesday and Wednesday went by pretty fast. Hardly anything happened. In Emergency Care we worked on bleeding victims. In Survival Training we worked on evasion and concealment. Professor Gallardo did not seem so excited to teach. 
Thursday came, and the morning going to school something weird happened. My chest began to burn, all my muscles in my body began to tremble. It was as if my  body fell asleep and it was just waking up. Except it hurt a lot more. The pain was unbearable. The burning sensation exploded throughout my body, I couldn't move. It was as though something was erupting out of me, something wanted to get out. I began to get lightheaded, I swayed back and forth. I couldn't breath. At the peak of the pain, it stopped. Just as soon as it begun, it simply vanished. I didn't know what to make of it, whatever it was, it was frightening...and it somehow reminded me of that one night, when the figure flew across my window.
"What's happening in Reiyleh." I quietly whispered, under the shadow of something atrocious. 


© 2012 EvilToast


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on January 8, 2012
Last Updated on January 13, 2012


Author

EvilToast
EvilToast

CA



About
Hey I'm Ryan(male) and i hope you enjoy my writing. Lets be awesome friends :D cuz literature is the best way to pour your heart out! I'm 17 :p I love physics, so you better too! I enjoy writing th.. more..

Writing
Recuperation Recuperation

A Chapter by EvilToast