Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Colorado Kid

The next morning Mira was woken up by the sound of pots and pans banging around in the kitchen above her head. She sat up sleepily and looked over at the clock. It was already ten? Crap! She'd overslept. Mira hated waking up past nine thirty. It seemed to her that there was little point in getting up at all if you didn't have an entire day to spend fully conscious. She swiftly jumped out of bed and yanked a brush through her long, brown hair. She brushed her teeth as fast as she could in the bathroom across the hall. She wanted to hurry and eat quickly. Everyday she practiced her guitar outside in the fresh air for an hour, from eleven to twelve. It helped her get better. Of course, she played as much as she could, but it was always nice to have that hour set aside, just in case she was doing something for the rest of the day. Plus, if she didn't get in her hour of practice she was quite cranky.

Mira jumped up the stairs with her guitar strapped to her back. It was only ten fifteen, she realized as she inhaled a delicious smell, she had time to eat. Mira tiptoed quietly into the kitchen, she sat down in a chair listening to Kimmy as she sang beautifully. Kimmy turned around getting ready to scoop eggs onto a plate, but when she turned, she let out a startled screech. She dropped the plate back onto the counter and it shattered as she did so.

“Mrs. River are you alright?” Mira asked, concerned, as she rushed over and began picking up large pieces of glass that scattered across the counter. Kimmy stood frozen for a moment, waiting for her heart to slow back to normal, she shook her head slightly, coming out of her trance.

“You scared the crap out of me, that's it,” Kimmy answered. She reached over and began picking up glass with her estranged step-daughter. “Why are you up so early honey? Your father and brothers are still fast asleep.” Mira glanced over at her step-mom and smiled.

“I hate sleeping in,” she answered. “Besides, I have to eat breakfast before I practice anyways. I practice everyday from eleven to twelve and even more if I can.” Mira reached down and stroked her guitar lovingly. Kimmy grinned at her.

“I hate sleeping in too. It feels like a waste of time. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.” Kimmy's eyes gleamed happily. Mira nodded up at her. When all the glass was cleaned up, Kimmy started humming again.

“You have a beautiful voice,” Mira said quietly as she returned to her seat at the table. Kimmy's grin grew wider.

“Thank you dear,” she responded happily. Kimmy took a deep breath suddenly. “Mira, I was wondering... since you're going to be staying her awhile, do you need some new clothes? I could take you shopping.”

“Oh, I was actually planning on doing just that. I can buy my own clothes, but I would love it if you came with me!” Kimmy's smile could hardly get any bigger than it did at just that moment. “Can we go after I practice though?”

“Of course honey!” Kimmy answered. “I just wanted to tell you, I think it will be really nice to finally have a girl around the house.”

***

“Papa!” Niko called loudly from the kitchen. He held a piece of paper securely between his fingers. It was from Kimmy and Mira. Whenever Niko thought about her he cringed a little bit. He'd heard his father and step-mom talking the night before, how could any sister of his be kicked out of seven schools in three years? It didn't seem possible. But of course, she hadn't been raised the same way he had.

“What's wrong Niko?” Arthur asked his son as he entered the kitchen. Niko held up the note.

“Kimmy and Mira went to buy her new clothes. So I guess it's just us guys.” Arthur read the letter carefully before folding it up and slipping it into his pocket.

“I guess so,” Arthur replied. “At least until three. Kimmy wants us to all go out for lunch.” Niko frowned. He really didn't like the idea of having his sister around. “Niko,” Arthur warned. “She's your sister. Your twin sister. You will treat her with respect.”

“I will?” Niko asked with a glare. “Papa, the moment she walked in the door I knew I wouldn't like her. I mean, she smelled horrible and she looked like hell. She was a b***h to Kacey. I don't like her. I won't like her.” Niko folded his arms and stared at his dad. Arthur couldn't believe what his son had just said. But the more he stood there and thought about it, the more he realized he'd said similar things not 24 hours earlier. But what he also realized was that Mira and Kimmy had walked in during their conversation and heard the whole thing. Mira looked from Niko to Arthur and then back.

“I knew I should have left when I had the chance,” she muttered thoughtfully. She didn't look sad or hurt or angry, she just looked like she'd made a bad decision. She slowly set her bags on the ground and picked up her guitar. Started strumming quietly as she thought. Around her, everyone was silent, waiting for her reaction. “I didn't know I had a twin, hell, I didn't even know I had a brother. I'm sorry I intruded on your perfect life, Niko. I'll leave now. I guess I understand your obvious aversion. Thanks for being so honorable Mr. River that you would be willing to allow me to live with you. I'll go now and come back later to get my stuff from the basement.” Mira was so calm that it seemed unreal. “I really wish I'd grown up around her with you guys. Maybe then I'd actually be accepted. But we can't always choose who our parents decide to love. Peace guys. Thanks for the wonderful afternoon Kimmy.” With that, she picked up her guitar and left. Every word she spoke caused everyone in the room to cringe a little bit more. The three of them stood frozen for a moment, neither knowing what to do. By the time Kimmy ran to the window to see which way she went, Mira was long gone.

“You, Arthur River, it's your fault,” Kimmy whispered angrily. Her icy blue eyes were swimming with tears. She shakily shoved her pale blond hair behind her ears before sitting heavily on a chair. She was already wishing she could go back in time to the wonderful day she'd shared with the daughter she never had.

“I didn't say anything, my idiot son over here did,” Arthur disagreed. Kimmy shook her head slowly.

“Do you realize that you never smiled or said a single kind word to her when you saw her? You never hugged her or showed her any kind of affection. Not even after she told us her mother died.” Kimmy's voice shook as tears poured from her eyes and down her rosy cheeks. “You wanted to send her away. Like she didn't �" like she doesn't matter to you. You made that child feel like she wasn't a part of you and your family. And so did your miserable son. Do you realize she never once called you, dad, she only called you Arthur, when she introduced herself? She referred to me as Kimmy, but she only ever referred to you as Mr. River, does that mean nothing to you?”

“I didn't know Mom died,” Niko whispered. “I didn't know she wasn't told about me. Whenever I went to visit mom, I always thought she didn't want to see me.” Niko stared at the ground. He wouldn't have been so mean if he'd known.

“Yeah well... Ana was an idiot not to tell Mira about either of us. You're right Kimmy. But you know, I don't love her, she was right too. You can't always choose who your parents pick. When we divorced Ana wanted Mira. I was content to take Niko and worry about raising him. I sent child support, that should have been enough.”

“You're an a*****e Papa you know that?” Niko growled. He turned and walked away, he didn't want to hear Kimmy and Arthur argue. He felt the need to say that first. Damn that girl, now he had to find her and bring her home.



© 2012 Colorado Kid


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
Added on February 13, 2012
Last Updated on February 13, 2012


Author

Colorado Kid
Colorado Kid

CO



About
My name is Rosebud (a nickname, I'm only ever called by my real name when I'm in trouble). I'm twenty-two. I spend way too much time in the garden. Dreams are my biggest inspiration. I'm a notorio.. more..

Writing