a sorta Al Jolson poem

a sorta Al Jolson poem

A Poem by Alicante lullaby

Is this you,dead great grandma

 floating through the room

on an unseeable balloon,

with eyes all ballooned up.

Is it Al Jolson with his face daubed

in dark black ichor...

why is everyone laughing.

why do people always laugh at things that scare me.

© 2011 Alicante lullaby


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

the last line really has a lot of weight. Perceptions differ... The world is insensitive and scornful most of the time...

Posted 13 Years Ago


"I have not been
As others were — I have not seen
As others saw — I could not bring
My passions from a common spring —
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow — I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone " Edgar Allen Poe...

Posted 13 Years Ago


To see your great grandma floating through the air would maybe be good ... but to associate with a clown looking like Al Jolson would scare anyone!
Me for one anyway.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's probably just me, but this felt like a dream after a night of grass. Images and plenty of surreal humour, but you never feel like you're going to land. A beautifully unique piece, great job.
Oh, and when you figure out the answer to your final question, let me know. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's strange how our own fears - no matter how small - are so huge and personal, almost like children that we can't seem to share with other people and make them understand HOW important they are. Bulbous eyes are yukky - I agree.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is not Mammy and Pappy waiting for the Robert E. Lee. I would have never tied Jolson to something like this. Utterly inventive work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A lyrical pleasure, it's strange how things that children once loved now scare them, like Clowns, I blame Stephen King and his ilk

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TAO
Alicante Lullaby, I like this voice...mostly because it's kind of weird. It has this subtle darkness to it (or maybe that's just me?). For what it is, it's a pleasurable read, and beautiful piece. Very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. well, my take is that we live in an insensitive world ... and people just don't get it ... and when they laugh ... they trivialize a genuinely felt human emotion ... i disagree with emily ... laughing is just a convenient way to camouflage internal hysteria ... or exhibit contempt and derision ... we are to express freely and anything that obstructs that is technically a human rights violation ... you stand out and are outstanding because you don't laugh when everyone else is laughing ... only because you want to fit in ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have a certain quirky trait to yor writes and i love that quirkiness..

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 31, 2011
Last Updated on January 31, 2011

Author

Alicante lullaby
Alicante lullaby

About
The Hanging Man By the roots of my hair some god got hold of me. I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet. The nights snapped out of the sight like a lizard's eyelid: The wor.. more..

Writing
... ...

A Poem by Alicante lullaby



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart in Hand Heart in Hand

A Poem by OT


I Wonder I Wonder

A Poem by OT


The Uni Verse The Uni Verse

A Poem by .