X Is The New Y

X Is The New Y

A Story by S DEAKIN
"

Young Adult short story.Rosetta is late returning a book to the school library and is drawn towards a mysterious new student.

"

Am I really blushing?  Most of the boys at Newberry High can barely string a sentence together, let alone actually pick up a book in the school library by choice. I had spied a few other male students in here a few times, mostly they were kind of weedy and bookish; these anorak types who normally hide in here to study or escape the bullies. However, I could tell this guy was different. He was wearing Adidas white trainers instead of the uniform required black shoes. He had a mop of hair that wasn't brown so much as dirty blonde, which under the library’s artificial light couldn't decide what pigmentation it wanted to be.


This wasn't the first time we met though...It was either fate or the seating plan that put him in the row in front of me of Mr Graft’s science lesson.


The new boy first spoke to me while Mr Graft was fixing the projector.


“Hi I'm _____.” Goddamnit this guy was so good looking I missed his name.


“Rosetta Erlichman…” I smiled helpless, we shake hands deliberately exaggerated.


The projector was on again.


“Ok then class. Why do teenagers experiment with drugs and alcohol?”


“Because we have nothing better to do.” Someone groans from the back of the class, apparently without sarcasm.


Whatshisname turned back around to face the teacher. Maybe I gave a good first impression but I'm not sure…


Today I'm returning a novel. The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Book loan is a couple weeks overdue so I am expecting to pay a fine.


"That’s ok don’t worry Rosie.” The librarian is this owl looking old fashioned Jewish lady called Mrs Applebaum.


“You know it’s just nice to see that a young lady like yourself is still reading in this age of computer gadgets and other distractions. Just make sure you return the next one on time”


“Sorry Miss A. won’t happen again.”


With false pretence of finding a new book, I walk over to the general fiction section where the handsome boy is.


“Hi Rose right?” God he knows my name.


“Hey, so like what you doing down here with all the bookworms?”


“Well this is… (whispers in my ear) where I pick up.”


“Pick up what Jane Austin’s?” I smirk.


“What’s that? No… like pot.”


“Like marijuana?” I ask appalled at my high level of interest. 

© 2014 S DEAKIN


Author's Note

S DEAKIN
work in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ohh, I want to know what happens next... Though I don't understand why a new student at a school has already decided to pick up pot in the library? Not my best choice though perhaps the conversation continues and he is just joking?

I like the way you write, good descriptions without them getting in the way of the story. I can picture him. Ia lso like the awkward way she didn't catch his name then can't ask. It happens to me all the time!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Added on January 17, 2014
Last Updated on March 4, 2014

Author

S DEAKIN
S DEAKIN

United Kingdom



Writing
Icebreaker Icebreaker

A Story by S DEAKIN


Good Apple Good Apple

A Story by S DEAKIN