Grammatolartry

Grammatolartry

A Poem by Shannon
"

Thank you Inject Positivity and hcarson for including me in your fun game!

"

Worship at the alter of knowledge

Of meaning, of words, of power

Employing useless verbigeration,

More impotent hour upon hour

 

Logophilia weighing heavily:

Do the words their justice

Trying to force the words out-

Mind completely busted

 

Finding myself wordbound

When normally largiloquent

In front of a soulless screen

Pondering where my words went


Finally, they start to flow

Fear of verbicide waning

Words suddenly on the page

May demand explaining.

© 2016 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
Any constructive feedback more than welcome. But in particular punctuation, if anyone can help please?
This was a challenge to use a few obscure words:
grammatolatry = worship of letters and words.
verbigeration = morbid and purposeless repetition of certain words.
logophile = a lover of words.
wordbound = unable to find expression in words.
largiloquent = talkative; full of words.
verbicide = destroying the meaning of a word.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well there you go... You learn something new every day. I didn't know what any of those words meant. Makes me wonder what other tremendous words there might be waiting to be used that I have not yet discovered!
Poetry and education in one! :) Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shannon

8 Years Ago

I was thinking you might see the humor in something so overly complicated!



Reviews

S.Mi,
It took some doing to bring forth "Grammatolartry" for sure! I learned a little bit regarding the thoughts of others in your sophisticated but free flowing poem. As far as punctuation is concerned. It depends really on how you want it to read. In its present form which is free flowing thought: I think it really works. The poem rocks!
Blessings, Kathy

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Kathy. Poetry for me almost always a mental excersize. But in this case, even more so. .. read more
Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

You can take pride in your work! I know it is a work and takes work...........................You ar.. read more
I liked this one S.Mi. :)
It's fun to play around with words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

I agree, the mental workout was fun! I am glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping by.
First off, I greatly appreciate you including the definition of the unfamiliar sophisticated words you chose for this piece. I foolishly was starting and stopping to googled each definitely before scrolling down, lol. I should really read the Author's note first, but I don't like to be influenced my first time reading. Having them as a list makes it much easier to go back and read as a hole.

Grammatolatry is a great word to learn and an excellent choice for your title. It all becomes much clearer once I learned each new word and grasped it altogether.

Did you by chance choose they words in particular or were you given these words to with? If it's the former, that's truly mind-blowing because they are all excellent sesquipedalian (evidently means long) terms. Regardless of whether chosen or given these words to use, I don't feel that it feels forced which is a great skill to have. I think what draws attention is said words seem so foreign it's hard to grasp so many at once but the definition key at the bottom is a great help. And I really appreciate how you were able to spread them out in such a small piece to where it draws my attention each stanza. And yet you still managed to subtly blend it altogether while still keeping a desirable rhyme scheme and expressing a compelling story from the thoughts of a writer at work as he's mastering and crafting his passion for his writing. I think this is a intricate well-thought out piece that brilliantly describes the mindset of the appreciate and dedication a writer (yourself in particular) puts in to your work. After reading this another time, it feels as if each line and stanza is so precise and thought out, yet you the final products appears if you constructed it into a effortless way. I feel you take great pride and sincerity in this piece, and I can imagine and time, concentration, and effort put into this piece from a personal perspective. Even though this is longer than the other pieces you've written, I feel this piece conveys so much with more impact behind each line and word for that matter. Personally love this style and rhyme scheme, and I'm thoroughly impressed as I greatly enjoy and hold this piece in high regard. If I was mistaken and this was more simplistic than the piece implies, then that is surreal, but it's a fantastic write nonetheless.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind words. I feel like my process is not like you might expect. But I w.. read more
Lost, n'MT

7 Years Ago

Interesting, I really enjoyed what you did with what you were given, you really crafted it together .. read more
You do seem to have a lot of fun using "tape-measured words". Are you trying to get us non-users to be sure to have a dictionary handy? Now you've done it! First thing tomorrow, its' late here, I'm going to look up some of those gigantic examples of verbiage. (Hah! Not up to your caliber.)

Take care - Dave

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Glad it made you think and thanks for the read.... Psst.. Check the authors notes😉
Dave

7 Years Ago

There I am , getting in trouble again for not following directions!
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Is this a pattern? Lol. And yes, as per the challenge, the words were purposely difficult.
I really like the ending on this one. That last stanza made my fears of writer's block come alive. Scary, I know! Thanks for the read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Shannon

8 Years Ago

I am surprised more people didn't get one my case about giving them nightmares, between the crazy w.. read more
haha.. Gee, quite a mouthful, those words! funny and well penned. love the idea of using more than one unusual word. gosh, I have a cramp in my tongue, now :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shannon

8 Years Ago

I am not even sure I know how to say some if those words. Thank you for the read. I am still findi.. read more
Well there you go... You learn something new every day. I didn't know what any of those words meant. Makes me wonder what other tremendous words there might be waiting to be used that I have not yet discovered!
Poetry and education in one! :) Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shannon

8 Years Ago

I was thinking you might see the humor in something so overly complicated!
I think in terms of the game and the topic we chose to write poem here you did an amazing job, why I am saying this is because the words are very complicated and their meanings are very complicated so to come up with them with something very clear at fitst is very hard... I don't think we all had enough time to work on these words, so this was bound to happen... I truly understand what BG was saying, you have to give more clear descriptions in it, which I believe you will do soon or later.... I'm happy that you took the challenge and did the best one among us.... This one will get better, I will Tell you if any idea hits me... But for the effort and for writing something like this is great for me.... We are all on the same journey...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shannon

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and the invite to join!
i love this!!considering the words you were given to use i think you did amazing..i'm also impressed with myself in that i understood themm most unusual for me..there is something to this way of writing :) i am going to library this one as i'm so impressed how you got them in there, full marks!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


Shannon

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. And thanks for including me, this was fun. For the first time ever, I did not.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

581 Views
11 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 9, 2016
Last Updated on April 9, 2016

Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon