Sages

Sages

A Story by Shannon
"

100 words and something very different

"
Two sages from opposite points on the earth meet high in the air between them, having been granted infallibility by the divine.

“Shall we solve the problems that plague the world?”

“We cannot.”

“You are correct. What would the people rail against?”

“What shall we do then?”

“Try to be good, kind and fair.”

“That is all anyone can do.”

“Try to lead the way.”

“I have a disturbing thought: what will happen to the world if we disagree? Will we tear it apart? Create a paradox?”

“No, we will create a grey space and name it open mindedness”

“Agreed”

© 2016 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
For those who often read my writing, I know it's not what you expect from me. Open to ideas for improvement and wondering if the end is worth it. The whole piece was written for the last two lines.
Thanks to an amazingo person for both the inspiration and encouragment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Sages'
Shannon,
This was the theme of 'sages' taking some kind of active role in the lives of humanity and two from opposite sides of the earth. I saw it as the difficulty of finding commonality between cultures. The whole world is different in that the different cultures are different as poeple groups and often exercise themselves as a separate unit within there own culture. I had trouble explaining myself. Sometimes philosophical explanations are hard to put into words. Anyway, this poem was valuable for the opportunity it presents for considering how we think and view others.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


The simplicity of this is perfect. A simple piece of writing about a simple idea: being good, kind, and fair. It is a short story, but it has depth to it. You are extremely talented.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed this. It was an excersize in carving words down to a bare concept.
“What shall we do then?”

“Try to be good, kind and fair.”

“That is all anyone can do.”

“Try to lead the way.

Exactly! Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Gullia, it's one of my more unusual works.
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Simple yet Interesting. I'd say these two make a fine pair Sages; which in my opinion a Sage is any form of a guardian, someone or something that may watch over the earth with us and guide us from time to time, but not necessarily do anything to directly change or control the natural order of things. They both seem like very humble and sensible characters I would even love to read a story surrounding their partnership and how they might influence the chaos of the world.

Also I'm curious are these the only sages in your universe or are there others?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this piece.
I liked this idea of open mindedness coming from disagreements and I think it's especially interesting because in general disagreements open mindedness is not often considered. I think the end was very clever. Just a small thing, some lines don't have punctuation at the end so you might want to just give it a brief read and put it in. For something so short there was to think about it, wonderful job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


While the significance of sage escaped me going into reading this piece, I really enjoyed the message I perceived and the very unique writing approach and writing style. I really enjoyed the back and forth dialogue with the two sages interacting. I thought this was both cleverly written and enjoyable with a positive message whether intended or not. This was a nice read, but I keep thinking back to "Slumped" though, and the man walking the turtle/tortoise keeps making me laugh, lol.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I did write them back to back, funnily enough. But the inspiration was completely differe.. read more
Lost, n'MT

7 Years Ago

Interesting, definitely very different, I did enjoy them both different reasons. You're welcome.
Amazing thoughts in your words. I have carry sage for many years. Sage support to heal and repair. A paradox? Old wisdom taught to me by kind grandfather. Lead with concern, kindness and love. May disagree but we must stay friends. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

You, sir are the first to notice how carefully the word sage was chosen. Many words mean "wise pe.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I learn many years ago. Different kinds of sage. Each with their own healing power.
A wonderful tale and a brilliant conclusion, all masterfully told in 100 words. I know how difficult it can be to work with such limitations, so I am all the more delighted when I come across a drabble that really impresses me. Hats off, this is great!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your very encouraging words. Brevity, especially in prose, is always a challenge!
Open mindedness...
That would be the best outcome for sure!
As much as we say we are open minded, we're not really.
We all have our personal views on things. We just don't always voice them.



Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

I think most of our open mindedness has large black spits where we can't see. But doesn't make the .. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

And thank you so much for reading and weighing in.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

You're welcome! :)
I live in the grey. I liked the conclusion. It was a smooth jab at fundamentalism.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Intolerance in general. Thank you

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

814 Views
17 Reviews
Added on May 26, 2016
Last Updated on September 3, 2016

Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon