Chapter 1: Dishwasher

Chapter 1: Dishwasher

A Chapter by Shannon
"

The soup kitchen, some of the people in it and a disappointing start.

"

"Hey, Red."

I turn towards the voice, a scold at his lack of originality forming in my mind. I encounter a short, stout man, with lots of silver-grey hair. He is wearing a clean apron, the white dimmed by time and repeated washings. His mouth is not smiling, but his eyes are alive with humour and challenge.

"You here to work or just look around?" the stout man says. There's the challenge.

With all the courage I can muster, I announce, "Work. What can I do?"

The kitchen is large, with two old metal commercial stoves gleaming at one end, framed by equally elderly and glinting oven units. The man tilts his head towards the other side of the kitchen where a walk-in cooler and four deep stainless steel sinks take up most of the space, along with a small restaurant style dishwasher. A woman is loading plastic cups into the dishwasher. "She'll show you what to do."

Not what I want to hear. I've done dishes every second night since I was eight, this is not why I have volunteered at Meals Shared. I want to do something more important than dishes.

He adds, "If that’s too hard, I'll find you something easier."

Ha! I've got five years of experience. It can't be that different. I march over to help the woman. She’s maybe twenty-five, but looks exhausted. She gestures with her arms, adorned in homemade tattoos, for me to tie my hair back.

I sigh, thinking about the nickname my hair has already earned me in this kitchen, as I dig into my pocket for a covered elastic. I’ve had red hair, that lightens to strawberry blond in the summer, and freckles, that do the opposite, for my whole life.  Like I've never been called ‘Red’ or ‘Carrots’ or a dozen other names before.

"I'll run the machine, you take care of the sinks. You'll want gloves. Third one's got bleach in it." She thrusts a pair of yellow rubber gloves at me before she turns to stack more cups into the tray. The full tray is shoved into the dishwasher, which closes with a clunk.

I lean down into the deep sink and start to wash the first of many huge pots. It's hard work maneuvering the heavy pots, with the high sided sinks being low to the ground. I debate with myself whether the job would be easier if I were taller than my five-foot-two, because the edge of the sink would not cut into my stomach when I reach to scrub the bottom of the pot, or more difficult, because I would have to lean over farther yet.

I’m about halfway through the mountain of dishes, presumably having correctly guessed one washes in the first, soapy sink, dips in second, dips in the third, before a final rinse in the fourth, when Mr. Stout comes over.

"Com'on, Red, let's go find some supper."

Relieved, I remove the sticky gloves. Following him to the food line, I notice that he is not short and stout so much as very square. He lists heavily to one side, pulling his right leg behind him in an uneven gait.

The line is shorter than it was when I had arrived, an hour earlier, so our plates are quickly loaded with mashed potatoes, liver and onions in gravy and chunks of boiled carrots. I pass on the bread bowl and grab a glass of sweet-smelling red drink from a jug.

Mr. Stout limps over to a large round table where a few older people are sitting, along with a woman who has two small children in tow. The adults stop talking as we sit down, but one little girl is smiling at me from across the table, head tucked low, so I can just see her upturned mouth. I smile back and wiggle my fingers instead of a full wave. She beams widely and digs into her plate with gusto.

"I'm Leonard," my boss turned supper companion says.

"Sarah," I reply.

"What made you come in today, Sarah?"

"I want to help."

"Sounds good. Why here?" Leonard gestures vaguely to the room around us.

The building had been an old, run-down bar until it was seized for back taxes. The carpet covering most of the floor is decades old, dark and patterned in a large orange, brown and green floral; dark with stains or white where it is wearing through in spots.

One wall is covered in a man-made rock treatment that was popular when the carpet was installed, the serving station built in is used for drinks and desserts.  Three volunteers serve supper from another alcove. Circular and rectangular tables are surrounded by a mix of plastic and wooden stackable chairs.

The room is lit with noisy overhead fluorescent lights and yellow-tinged wall sconces. No natural light enters unless someone opens the back entrance, designated for staff and volunteers to enter.

Patrons enter through the front door and walk down a hall, made dimmer by dark wood paneling, past public washrooms to get to the eating area.  Here anyone who comes can get a free meal five days a week, except a few holidays, when the Salvation Army takes over.

"Because food is a human right," I begin, "and Canada signed the Human Rights Charter… " I taper off as Leonard lets out a low chuckle.

"What else is a right?" Is that amusement?

"That all people are born with dignity and freedom..." I begin.

"That's a good one," he declares.

"So I saw Meals Shared in the paper and thought I would come help. I talked to Bev and she said it was okay?" I was surprised when I saw the article. How do people in Canada not have enough food? It said the soup kitchen needed more volunteers, so I asked my mom about volunteering.  She told me to phone and find out more, to see if after school would work. The director Bev said four o’clock was good, so I made plans to come in.

"’Course it's okay. What else do you do, where do you go to school?"

"I'm in grade eight at the academy," I tell him, referring to the girl's school which is less than twenty blocks from here,” I like to swim and read and I believe in people!"

I am used to that amused look from adults and take it as a good sign. So I ask, "What about you, how long have you been coming here? Do you work here, like Bev? What else do you do?"

"I volunteer. Used to be a cook, but messed up my back a long time ago, Now, it’s too bad for me to work."

I think back to the the stool Leonard was sitting on, while chopping up things and coaching other volunteers through cooking meals on the giant stoves. Oh, it's hard for Leonard to stand? When dinner is over, we go back to the kitchen. He walks volunteers through clean up. I get back to the pile of pots, which has grown in my absence.

****

I yank the staff door open; I know the routine. I pull my hair back as I enter the kitchen and start the water running in all four sinks.

Leonard calls: "Hey, Red," like he has every week for the last three.

I wave back as I add soap to the first sink and measure bleach into the third. I got here earlier today; the stack waiting for me is a bit shorter.

Sweat is trickling down my forehead when Leonard decides it’s time to have supper. "Let's get some food, Sarah."

Waiting in line, Leonard asks me about school and my swim meet. As I tell him about my English test and finishing a hard swim, with an admittedly dismal time, he looks over my shoulder. Pausing my monologue to glance towards the front of the line, I see a woman holding a baby, a toddler close to her legs.

"I'll just go..." I start to explain to Leonard, but he is already smiling and nodding.

"Need a hand?" I ask the woman, who doesn't seem much older than me.

She has darkness under her eyes, one side not only from lack of sleep. She nods her head at me, then hands me a bundle of blankets, with a nose and eyes peeking out. Not sure I’m actually qualified for this duty. I bounce the bundle like I saw the mother doing, as she loads up a tray for herself and her son.

Since she is heading for a table, I follow. No need to invite me! The mother sits down and I attempt to hand the bundle back, when the boy knocks over a drink, orange liquid splashes across the table. The woman's face begins to crumble; it looks like toddler and mother are both about to cry. I get some napkins and a cloth from the dessert station to help clean up. Seeing she has enough to manage, I keep the bundle in my arms and sit down.

"How old are they?" I ask, searching for a topic. Don’t know if I’ve ever talked to an adult who looked so worn out.   Or one with a black eye.

"John’s almost three, baby’s… two months, already” she says, glancing at both of them, her tired eyes brighten for a few seconds.

"John is really busy… " I start, watching him kick his legs under the table, while taking bites of a sandwich.

"You don't even know! This morning, I was changing the baby in the bedroom. Come out and can't find John. The door is still locked, check the bathroom. I’m thinking he's f*****g lost or stolen. Then the little monkey starts to giggle. He climbed the fridge! Lucky he didn't kill himself!"

As she is talking, Leonard limps his way to our table followed by another volunteer, "Edgar brought you supper."

Edgar, like Leonard, is older than almost all the volunteers. He is tall and lean, with a grey beard that touches his chest. Maybe he hopes it will make up for the lack of hair on top of his head? He wears silver wire glasses, a pair of worn jeans and a red plaid button down shirt that appears a bit newer.

I haven't met Edgar yet; he’s usually out front, working at the dish bins and dessert/drink area, while I do the never ending dishes.

"Thank you," I say.

He nods and walks back to his station with long sure strides. I look down at the tray: the steaming hot vegetable soup, I saw Leonard orchestrating earlier, sandwiches from a local corner store, whose best before dates are tomorrow and an orange drink. Then I look at the bundle in my arms. A sandwich will have to do, because there is no way I am bringing hot soup anywhere near a baby!

Our mealtime is quieter today. Leonard makes conversation between eating with both me and the mom, periodically talking to the boy, too. It all fades into the background as Bundle opens his eyes. And smiles at me. Only he and I exist until he opens his mouth and lets out a squall.

His mother lets out a deep breath and holds out her arms to reclaim Bundle, concealing him beneath a blanket to feed. It’s time to get back to work. I grab the finished trays to take to Edgar's station.

Leonard catches my eye, "They need more help out here, Edgar’ll show you what to do."

"What about dishes?"

"Someone else can do dishes," he dismisses.

"Okay!"

He doesn't need to tell me twice.  I try not to bounce on my way over to the alcove where the dish bins are kept. I've been promoted!



© 2017 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
I've had some feedback about orienting the reader much more quickly to where we are and what we are doing there. Any thoughts on the pacing? Is there too much description of the space or does that feel comfortable?

Constructive feedback is appreciated. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would say bravo!!! Because the way you have presented the beginning of this long story here is very detailed and descriptive... This is what I like to see when I read a story, having all the elements and information to understand it... All the characters have their own unique voice and you have soundly separated them through their conversation...

The place where the story is taking place is itself a place of interest... The narrator may be 13 yrs old girl? And I do think its an appropriate introduction chapter for the long story that's coming... Your cleverness of speaking can be seen in this first part... Very well done S...

Sincerely
Dhiman

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Was trying to paint a picture, set up a place time and part of cast. Glad that you enjoy.. read more
You take the time to describe the surroundings and after a while, the reader feels like he's really there in the soup kitchen. Your dialogues are real and with good flow, the characters come to life.

You have an endearing sense of humour, humble and likeable. I like the ending about being promoted. It breathes hope and youthful optimism.

Overall, a promising start to a longer/deeper story I would say.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Descriptive language tends to be my downfall. Not my favourite thing to read or write. .. read more
it definitely looks like the beginning of an interesting story. you are good with details and descriptions. in fact you're very good at describing surroundings whic is something I personally haven't mastered yet. but I'm learning.
this is a very good beginning, S. I won't point out the little typos but one in particular made me smile. I guess I only noticed it because I'm used to grading papers and encountering "strange" things sometimes. ok tell me if I'm right.
"with her home made tattoo-adorned arms" this looks like her arms are home made :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Woody. Describing details a learned behaviour. Apparently people who visualize really l.. read more
I like what you have started here. If you ever write more of this, I would love to read it. The ending dialogue confused me some. I wasn't sure who was saying what. Other than that, great work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I believe I will continue to add!
I can't wait to see where this story goes. You have already introduced some very interesting characters.
There are a few typos, but I'm sure you'll correct those as you continue writing and editing.

I want to be clear though. Red is still in school, here in the U.S. 8th grade would be children between the ages of 13 - 14, usually. Is this about the age of Red?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Dave. I need to get on the next phase of this one.. It's tricky for me to capture. I app.. read more
Dave

7 Years Ago

I started to post a novel I had written. Peggy and Her Friends. It's a bit long. I was wondering,.. read more
All in all, good story, easy to read & interesting to compel the reader along. Realistic descriptions for the scene with these kinds of people. I'm not really feeling this as being a story primarily about Leonard & Edgar (they were so forgettable, I had to re-read after your author's note to see who they are). Here's what stands out to me -- "Red" is the main character & she seems to gravitate toward kids, so I get the feeling kids will play a bigger part in her story than Leonard & Edgar. Her humanistic point of view is what this story seems to be about. I can see this story heading in that direction, with her helping people or getting tangled up in people situations becuz of her helpfulness & concern. I'm not saying your story needs to be about this, I'm just saying this is what I would guess, after reading this beginning.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the feedback barleygirl. I hadn't noticed the kid thing before and interesting that I .. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I am definitely feeling more fully oriented to your storyline, much sooner & more fully. Even tho yo.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

I really, really appreciate the detailed feedback and encouragement. The grammar and word choice com.. read more
I have always enjoyed your writing style S.Mi. You have a style all of your own. The (internal and external) dialogue is great and as usual, the descriptions are wonderful.
I wish you luck in turning this into a story, but I know that there is definitely more & it's intriguing. If/when you post another chapter, please let me know!


Very friendly and hopefully helpful comments:

- What is Meals Shared? I'm guessing it's like the salvation army from your description.
- I think maybe you mean "high sided sinks being so deep"?
- "I remove the sticky gloves"
- "That's a good one," he declares. (Then hit enter so we know he doesn't continue speaking just then).
- "I would come help"
- "it's okay" (did you want even the little missing apostrophes to be pointed out?.... no biggie... there's more than one though) ;)
- "Less than 20 blocks"
- "how long have you been coming here"
- "the stool he sits on"
- "kick his legs under the table"
- put "thank you" on a new line. I think it would make it easier to understand.
- "there is no way"

Whew, sorry about that long list S.Mi. I saw your comments below about boogers ;) No biggies anyhow, just simple slips of the fingers no doubt.

I think this one is going to be interesting.
I look forward to knowing what happens next!!

:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to find so many of Ty and Otto's influences. It means a lot t.. read more
This story certainly COULD work as an introduction, if you were so inclined. I enjoyed some of the back-and-forth with the characters, and you had a lot of good detail present throughout the whole thing. I like the time skip, showing us how the characters' relationships have developed and how they've gotten used to their positions.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you Clifford. I appreciate the encouragement. Think I will keep chipping away at this one.
I really enjoyed the story. I can totally relate and you told it well "Red". :)
I think you rushed to post, you have some silly typos and such throughout.
I really like how the relationships develop in this piece. From red having her back up at first to finding a routine and comfort with the place.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

It could turn into something very meaningful. Technology and I have a love / hate relationship. I .. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for not letting me run around with boogers on my nose!
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

That's what friends are for. ;)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

984 Views
19 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 24, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2017


Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon