Firmament

Firmament

A Story by Max Moore
"

Another old school assignment

"

A still blue hue lingers above me as the foliage begins to change. The leaves are a perfect middle ground between vivid green and a pale, dying orange. The sounds of the city are faint as they filter through the air to this small haven. Casual conversation slowly dissipates and vanishes as quickly as it arrived. Many have fond childhood memories of this place, though it’s not the same for me, I didn’t arrive until later on. Brick walls contrast with the sky, like single white clouds blocking out the sun over a vast desert. The brisk wind rustling the trees seems to have a rhythmic tone as they sway back and forth in an even motion. Places like these never seem to change, as the years pass they remain as they always have. Upon closer inspection, certain peculiarities present themselves, sneakers hanging from a tree branch, walls painted with colourful murals, things that make these corridors unique. There’s an air of optimism about the place as the season change, many are likely preparing holiday decorations. It seemed, for the time being, that escape wasn’t necessary.


Who knows how long I sat there, time flew like a flock of sparrows. Few times before had such a tranquility washed over me. The world felt like a renaissance painting you’d find on the walls of a suburban home. The sultry glow of the sun swept across the city while everything around me sat still. Though sound filled my ears it still felt silent, like I was on a separate plane from the rest of the world around me. A state of repose such as this isn’t something that comes easily to some people, I could be included in that group, but for the time being I sat and felt the world turning like an exotic bird perched upon a branch. 


It never dawned on me then what would happen after, but I didn’t care. It was the most free I’d felt in a long time. Gazing at the firmament above me without anyone else around, I felt unchained from the world. Unwinding in this nature is something I need to do more often, and although it feels at times that I can’t make the time for it, it should be undertaken. All individuals should find a place such as this.

© 2019 Max Moore


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice sensory meditation, rich imagery, complex voice. Answer some of the questions and statements here, and the story will expand exponentially.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 25, 2019
Last Updated on June 25, 2019
Tags: short story, nature, sensory, autumn

Author

Max Moore
Max Moore

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada



About
I'm a music loving teenager from Vancouver who likes playing guitar, video games and sometimes writes short stories. more..

Writing
Northwest Northwest

A Poem by Max Moore