Drowning

Drowning

A Poem by sabine

Sand fills your lungs and an elephant sits on your chest, a buzz rings in your ears and and a lump swells in your throat. Your mind races, but it's like a car stuck in the mud, going nowhere. You frantically try to calm your sporadic breathing, your racing heartbeat, desperately trying to regain any kind of control, but it remains just out of reach. All of your attempts to calm yourself down are useless and you realize there's nothing you can do but ride the wave of panic until it dissipates. You feel it overtaking you and you fight with every bit of strength you have to keep your head above water, but it quickly saps your energy and you are pulled under. Your fear of drowning in this raging sea of panic only gives it fuel. You wonder if a physical pain could be enough to end this unbearable mental agony. If you could only hit hard enough, cut deep enough, would that be enough to stop this? You rock back and forth, unable to stop for fear of falling apart and never being able to pull yourself back together again. You've been here before, but that doesn't make this any less hellish. You try to scream, but all that comes out are strangled sobs. Your breathing devolves into a series of frantic gasps. You can't stop shaking. You can't think, but your mind won't shut up. It feels like a band is being wrapped around your chest, tighter and tighter, until you just might implode. Why can't you calm yourself down? Why is this happening to you? Why are you like this? Your rapid fire thoughts, questions, and attempts to bring yourself out of this sea of panic only make it worse. You finally give up, no longer possessing the strength to try any longer. As the wave passes over you, you fear this may be the end. This time will literally be the death of you and there is nothing you can do to stop your inevitable demise. But eventually it's over. The attack ends and you collapse with exhaustion and relief. You survived another panic attack. You're going to be alright. You breathe deeply, still shaking slightly, acutely aware of your own mortality and grateful to be alive. 

© 2016 sabine


Author's Note

sabine
I wrote this in the middle of the night after a struggle with some serious anxiety in order to try to calm myself down, so there may be some errors. As always, I appreciate your feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on June 14, 2016
Last Updated on June 14, 2016
Tags: anxiety, panic attacks, drowning, fear, panic

Author

sabine
sabine

NV



About
I write to clear my mind of all the cluttered thoughts that fill it. Writing is my way of dealing with my emotions and the chaos that is my brain and it always brings me peace, which is why a lot of m.. more..

Writing
Silver Lining Silver Lining

A Story by sabine


Victorious Victorious

A Poem by sabine