Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sahm Moore

Prologue


To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]
Subject: Pimento Cheese and Fish Sticks
Wednesday, June 13, 2014 15:13PM


Seraphin, 

It's been a while, stranger

Every now and then we get a few minutes to contact friends or family back home and today, when I sat down, you popped into my head. So now in my race to beat the loss of flaky wifi, here I am typing as quickly as my fingers and a keyboard full of sand will let me. 

I can't tell you exactly what made me think of you, other than we've a lot of time to think over here. I don't even know how or if this email will find you. It's been about three years since we last spoke"longer since I emailed you"and a lot longer since you've used this address, I'm sure. But it's the only way I have to reach you. I haven't heard much about you in all that time. 

If I remember correctly, and you know I do, this would be about year five of your five year plan. I bet you've got a house, a dog or four, and you're beginning what's sure to be a meteoric rise at the job of your dreams"you're right on track. 

Me? I'm halfway around the world in a giant, scorched sandbox with what feels like the world's biggest fraternity"minus all the beer and girls. Not exactly what I'd imagined when we'd talk about traveling.

Well, Phin, time's up. I traded the last half of my computer time for a Pudding Pop... they're hard to come by over here.

I hope this finds you well, if it finds you at all. 


You're missed.
Q



Chapter 1


Quinn stared at the mouse hovering over the send button. She had been 97% sure that the email would land in some overflowing, defunct inbox lost in a sea of unopened, abandoned messages"until now. 
What if Sera still checked the account? What if she had a controlling girlfriend who checked it and flew into a jealous rage and"
"Connely! As promised, one ice cold, non-freezer burned Pudding Pop in original packaging." Warlick held out the popsicle in her direction. Startled, Quinn jumped, clicking the mouse, making the decision to send a lot easier. 
“Jesus, Warlick. Who needs grunts when we've got ninjas like you?”
Grabbing the popsicle, Quinn rose from her chair, sliding past her fellow
soldier. 
“Why you in such a rush, K9? Been writing love letters or something?” 
Quinn rolled her eyes and tore the wrapper from the Popsicle with her teeth.
“Yep, to your mom. Long steamy ones. I should have let you proofread it,”
she quipped, then turned to go. “Let's roll, Roq,” she commanded over her
shoulder, pausing at the door to hook the ever-present leash to her partners’
collar. 

On her way back to the barracks, Quinn wasn't sure how she felt about the email. No matter what she may have felt in the past or what had gone on between her and Sera, she had never been able to fully put Seraphin out of her mind or, if she was honest, her heart. 
Feeling the wind pick up, stirring the powdery, pervading dirt, Quinn jogged the last 50 yards to her makeshift home. Roq trotted beside her, excited to be on the run, his long tongue lolling out the side of his smiling mouth. “No dirt baths for us today, Roqqo,” she told him.
Though the two year old Belgian Malinois loved rolling and playing in the dirt, Quinn knew he loved sleeping in bed beside her more than a night on the floor and wasn't surprised when he opted out of a roll in the dirt. 
Roq beat Quinn to the door and sat emphatically, waiting to be allowed
inside ahead of the pressing storm. Closing it behind them, Quinn watched his tail
thump wildly against the plywood floor as he waited for his leash and harness to
be removed.
“Roqqo! Hey, Bub. How's it feel to be the most handsome man on a whole
continent?” Joss asked, sitting up on her rack anticipating the dog’s greeting.
Being roommates with Quinn meant she got Roq, too, which was one of her
favorite parts about this deployment.
Itching for attention, Roq met Quinn's gaze, waiting for her 'go' command.
Always willing to indulge him at the right time and place, Quinn watched her work
dog struggle to control the playful pup inside him. 
“Go!” she commanded and watched him rocket off, directly at Joss who
braced for impact. Quinn gazed at her pup affectionately and flopped down on
her immaculate bed in the tiny wooden hot box they called home.



© 2017 Sahm Moore


Author's Note

Sahm Moore
Give me your thoughts! And thank you for taking the time to read it :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your style. Your flowing in this particular piece helped me picture the scene as I went and now I want to read much more to this. I hope you continue to add much more to it.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
1 Review
Added on July 28, 2017
Last Updated on July 28, 2017


Author

Sahm Moore
Sahm Moore

Austin, TX



About
As a gay kid in a small Texas town I knew I was different than a lot of my friends. I wasn't sure where or how I fit in. So, I fell in love with books and worlds I so easily drifted into. Looking back.. more..

Writing
Who I Am Who I Am

A Poem by Sahm Moore