Price Paid

Price Paid

A Story by ScarlettTheDreamer
"

A story about death

"
I was walking down the empty lane at midnight. I tried hard to cover my blood stained clothes even though I knew no one would be wandering on that part of town so late at night. I walked as fast as I could. My phone rang. I picked it up and didn't say a word like I was asked to. After about five seconds, a deep voice from the other side said, "Jones, 45 Gate way street" and hung up. So that was where I was expected tommorow. To kill. It was my job to kill. I got paid for it. I find it hard though to explain the pleasure I get on seeing a man bleed to death, right before my eyes.
I had just slaughtered one now, someone my boss said had been trying to run away from debts that he owed him. I didn't care why I killed, even though they would always tell me the most unlikely reasons to kill the people that I did.
I had to get back to my car before anyone should see me, and I was stupid enough to park it three streets away from where I had work to do. In a few minutes, or hours, the cops would be here and I didn't want to be caught. I kept turning around, to see if someone was watching me. After a while I had a disgusted feeling of someone following me. I walked faster, and so did he. I was able to see his faint shadow by the side lines. I pretended that I hadn't seen him yet but held my two knives in both my hands. He was coming closer. I turned around and as though stabbing him with my right hand, I reached for him. He took his gun out and before he could shoot, I ducked to the left and stabbed him with the other knife. Two kills in one night. Great.
I thought about what my mom used to tell me when I was a boy . She told me that you have to pay the price for everthing that you do. I had never believed in that, or I  was probably too scared to admit it. If you always paid the price, then death should have caught up with me ages ago. But It didn't. I had been slipping from it many times now.
As I was running these random thoughts about in my mind, I reached my car. I got in and reflected more on these. Tommorow I'd be there again, taking some one else's revenge. I turned to my right and gazed at the empty street. And the last thing I remember seeing is a huge truck crashing into my car. And the rest, I hope to explain sometime in my next life.

© 2010 ScarlettTheDreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's a great story! I love the thinking of that boy. I can tell he do get paid, in his heart. Now, everytime he kill, every time he felt sad or scar. The scar in his heart is the scarriest, no one can get rid of this feeling except when you do something better again. That's a really good story! This short story was really great, I enjoy it while reading!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I guess you could call that Carma

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Always in the next life. Something comforting in that. Intiguing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great story this time, again. But do you think that it is not sutibale for little kids.
for me, it is quite .....good, but too short for a professional writer.
I enjoyed it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


That's a great story! I love the thinking of that boy. I can tell he do get paid, in his heart. Now, everytime he kill, every time he felt sad or scar. The scar in his heart is the scarriest, no one can get rid of this feeling except when you do something better again. That's a really good story! This short story was really great, I enjoy it while reading!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great foreshadowing in your story. I loved the imagery and the intensity that played throughout the lines. This was an excellent short story. I enjoyed reading your story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was a great read. And the ending was... phenomenal. After thinking about what his mother used to tell him, paying the price for your actions, and how he has avoided death, BAM, a truck comes at him. Amazing story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 26, 2010
Last Updated on July 26, 2010

Author

ScarlettTheDreamer
ScarlettTheDreamer

Chennai, India



About
Hi! I am a crazy dreamer. I write simply because I love it. I believe that there's really no meaning to life, and its stupid to go about finding one. One day you're here, one day you're gone. One day .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..