Bring Me To Life: Chapter 1

Bring Me To Life: Chapter 1

A Chapter by Salem Corey
"

A disappearance, a possession, and a love affair alters the life of one girl forever.

"
"NO!"

"HELP!"

A shrill scream echoes through the dense forest and rebounds upon the struggling group. With a growling hiss, something big moves in the rapidly dimming light. All is quiet at once.

A tall man looms over two small children laying on the ground, now unconscious. Their faces are peaceful despite the chaos that consumed them just moments before.

Then the show starts.

...


BOOM

The night sky lights up in brilliant red causing the trees to cast disturbing shadows on the worn path. I gaze up, unperturbed, at the wondrous firework show. As a child, I was always afraid of the loud sounds that accompanied the dazzling colors, but it doesn't faze me anymore.

Pain shoots through my heel and I limp a few steps until the rock falls out of my foot. Dave, would surely pitch a fit if he knew I was walking around barefoot.

I can just imagine what he'd say, "When you get bit by a snake, I'm not paying the doctor bill if you're too stupid to put shoes on!"

I laugh a little at the fictional scene playing out in my head. Me standing there, snake dangling off my foot, and Dave, hands on his hips, shaking his head and refusing me medical treatment. All this plays out in silly cartoon animation.

A twig snaps behind me and I freeze.

BOOM

The firework acts as a temporary sun and I'm able to survey the area behind me. It fades; and I'm left standing here in total darkness.

Movement streaks in my peripheral and I whip around, tripping over my own feet. Unfortunately for me, I land on an exposed root, knocking the air from my lungs.

An unusual coldness spreads throughout my body and I find it difficult to move.

BOOM

Green fills the sky as I struggle to get to my feet.

"Hello?"

I scream so loud my ears hurt and I roll over onto my back, covering my face with my arm.

Footsteps close in on me.

BOOM

Instead of the world going black after the red firework disintegrates, a bright, white light shines down on me. I open my eyes cautiously and peek around my arm.

BOOM

I see someone standing there holding a really bright flashlight.

"Are you ok?" a man asks me, his voice on edge.

I squint my eyes up at him, trying to determine the threat, if any, that he poses. He seems harmless so I nod.

He extends his hand, and taking it, I'm helped to a standing position.

We stand facing one another. I dust the dirt from my clothes and attempt to make out his face. He's blinding me with that darn flashlight, however, and I can't see. He comes to the realization that he's obscuring my vision and promptly lowers the light.

BOOM

He's tall but I can still make out short, combed back, hair. Below a wide forehead is a pair of deep set eyes. His dimpled chin points out a little. I recognize him instantly, which isn't a surprise considering the population of our town.

He looks down at me in concern.

"Mr. Sanford?"

He blinks a few times, trying to figure out who I am. After a second, it clicks together in his mind. "Sophie?!"

BOOM

"You scared me to death!" I put a hand over my heart and laugh.

"You scared me too, I thought you were hurt."

I glance down at my chest where the root and I connected. "I tripped," glancing around I then say, "I heard something."

"Like what?"

BOOM

"Like a twig snapping." I realize how stupid that sounds as it comes out of my mouth.

"It was probably me, sorry about that."

BOOM

We smile up at each other. I feel that awkward feeling a girl usually does when she's alone with a guy. I clasp my hands together and give his outfit a once over. He's wearing a light grey sweatshirt with "FALL CREEK WOLVES" written across the top in black writing, and matching pants.

BOOM

I unclasp my hands and look up at the sky.

BOOM

Clearly the grand finale is beginning, my favorite.

BOOM

Mr. Sanford looks up too, both of us admiring the beauty.

BOOM

Streaks fall from the sky. They look as though they're going to hit us but they quickly disintegrate.

Rapidly, hundreds of fireworks are shot upwards A constant BOOM emanates from them.

Then, it's all over.

I get excited once I realize we'll be walking home together, we're neighbors. Despite the fact that I know good and well nothing will ever happen between us, it's still nice to be in the presence of such a handsome guy!

Side by side we walk the trail back to our homes. I occasionally glance over at him.

The dirt path runs to an end and a big field opens up, flanked by tress on all sides except the one our houses are on, straight ahead.

After a three minute walk, we say goodnight to one another and go our separate ways. My eyes follow him into his house and watch as he shuts his door.

I wish he had walked me to my door.


© 2015 Salem Corey


Author's Note

Salem Corey
Honest opinions please!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on June 6, 2015
Last Updated on June 6, 2015
Tags: Mystery, kidnap, possession, demon, supernatural, love, romance


Author

Salem Corey
Salem Corey

Charlotte, NC



About
I love to write while listening to music. I also love my family and my friends. more..

Writing