Letter to a WWI soldier

Letter to a WWI soldier

A Story by Samthepostman
"

Dear Private Johnson...

"
Dear Private Johnson,

Even though you rest peacefully know, never will I forget the die-hard life you lived before my time. Whenever I hear World War One I think of the excitement men felt when they enlisted to travel the world, and then the slaughter upon arrival. I think it is so unfair that you landed in the wrong place and started the War on the back foot. To be confronted by so many bullets that came from above like a shower, yet pierced your skin, must have felt like acid rain.

So many young men with bright futures ahead of them, compassionate families waiting for them, had their lives cut short. They say the Great Depression was saddening? I couldn’t begin to imagine the gut wrenching feeling of my Dad or a family member not coming home. My whole body's muscles ache, chest feels as if it’s caving in, heart being strangled then ripped out of my ribcage.

Just thoughts of what it would have been like are enough to come to grips with the courage you had to fight. I realise you weren’t fighting for yourself- you were fighting for your brothers in arms, Britain and your very own country. Thank you. Thank you for guaranteeing the fact that one hundred years later I’m not saying “Guten Tag” and speaking God damned German! Such a selfless acts- risking your own life to fight a War.

The memories you must have had that plagued your mind must have been near unbearable. The poison in your imagination. When the War ended, it wasn’t over, it stayed with you. Taking off your marching pack at the after the War, that was never going to be the end. I understand and am thankful for that heavy weight on your back that never left.

I send my sincere salutations to you Private Johnson but emotions cannot display my gratitude to your service to your Country.

Rest in Peace.

With kind regards

© 2015 Samthepostman


Author's Note

Samthepostman
Letter to an imagined non returning soldier who fought for New Zealand

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on September 11, 2015
Last Updated on September 11, 2015
Tags: WWI, death, family, love, remorse, grievance, war