He fought well (prose poem)

He fought well (prose poem)

A Poem by Samuel Jack
"

War poem.

"
He fought well, that much can be said.
But was it national pride or employment,that armoured his heart and head?

Never mind, they keep the dogs well fed ,and only a few innocents have been left in his stead. Worked hard,boots polished ,grimace fashioned.Not bad for a lad from nothing, nowhere.

"Forget the papers mate, they've nothing left to say"
But a scene is fixating to his cranium,Sliding about in there,Sand in his boots, something sticky on top.
The sound of distant praying, not so distant that day.

"How else?" Some would ask
The minds not a bottomless cask to be filled with others wishes,Lies of riches, not all of them financial.Many a Faustian pact was drawn up,Using pride in place of blood.


An easy trick on all lowborn,When you're belongings are shorn, nothing left but instinct.
What's left after you crumble someone down? A woman may have the worries of others.
But look inside that mans head,and be wary of what you see,Violent notions, tribal zeal, how He reacts to female screams...............And old pride, destroyer of worlds.

To be fair
It's a non sense world for the ancient brains of men.Killers were once held high for protecting family and friend. But it's no longer defending home and hearth.
Your killing for men you've never met! returning carbon to the Earth
Your paid the same as bakers,At the end of Their day,it's work.They get to put down their bread, where will you place your dead?
For is that not your work? In the cold light of unmolested sight?

I won't harass you any further with high headed talk,for I could have been you,autumn in Winchester, bound for the tank corp. Images of cowering families pulled on my strings. I walked away sweetly,leaving young friends with bitter feelings.

All you hard men say what you will, for I have the strength to resist the urges,to dominate and kill. I see them inside us all,old feelings making us ill.

You can be pushed head first into a culture of violence, or take a look at our a world and figure out what is righteous.








© 2013 Samuel Jack


Author's Note

Samuel Jack
Another prose poetry experiment, too much? Only you the viewer can decide.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, that was painful, but in a good way. I love the Faustian pact using pride in place of blood.
I've never really read much prose poetry... I enjoy the format, sort of a rhyming stream of consciousness.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

This is my version of prose poetry, based on my understanding of it. It's a tough one to nail down, .. read more
I think it could be a great story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

It kind of is already, that's my idea of prose poetry, a story in fragments, or a poem stretched out.. read more
A splendid prose poem. Another great message you share with us...Awesome...:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm still trying to get the prose poetry more refined, It's hard to not to slip into coup.. read more
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

OK. You are welcome...:)
A lot of very profound thoughts in this piece. There is a strength in your words that sings its own bittersweet melody. War is one of those things that a person can't seem to wrap their head around, and yet it is something that has been a part of humanity since the dawning of time. As a species, we have a certain bloodthirsty need for war, and yet we also have remorse. The human mind is often unable to process the horrors of this type of things. Very well described, and for a prose piece, i don't think it is too much at all.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

You hit the nail on the head Ms Friday, thanks for the well thought out review :)
Samuel profound question….powerful thoughts.

It's a non sense world for the ancient brains of men. Killers were once held high for protecting family and friend. But it's no longer defending home and hearth.
Your killing for men you've never met! returning carbon to the Earth

The reptilian brain lives in all of us. It is an innate part of fight or flight, hard wired into our DNA. I have known many soldiers many who entered the service for career or to further their education. A price I always thought was too great to pay for learning. For I believe their evolution is pushed in the wrong direction, training ingrains their survival instinct. And as you say for what? I have seen great men left haunted, forever changed.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

It's not a good payoff is it? I looked at some of the baby faced lads I was training with and imagin.. read more
Your killing for men you've never met! returning carbon to the Earth
Your paid the same as bakers,At the end of Their day,it's work.
They get to put down their bread, where will you place your dead?

I love these words
Very Powerful Piece!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

Thank you, the praise means a lot when it comes from a man of many words, such as yourself.
There are some very profound thoughts discussed...yes,I agree with most of them but I'd like to add a point or two which my brother had shared as an army officer himself & he talks about the hopelessness &fear of the soldiers...these brutal looking men are actually very insecure but your thoughts can inspire them...yet another thought-tibet faced chinese aggression because they did not have an army & believed in ahimsa...it's only possible when ahimsa & non armed nation becomes a universal phenomena..amen.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

Interesting ideas Shweta, but I do feel it will literally take thousands of years to evolve our inbu.. read more
Shweta Singh

10 Years Ago

I
There is a lot of power in this piece, Samuel. So many great lines, starting with the opening. Also was impressed with this: "It's a nonsense world for the ancient brains of men. Killers were once held high for protecting family and friend. But it's no longer defending home and hearth..."

You have some consistent rhyme throughout, which leads me to think that you could tweak this easily to be a rhyming piece, presented in couplets. I feel like you were not sure yourself if you would stick with the rhyme or not.
Some deep images here, and overall a worthy poem!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

I wanted a meandering rhythm to it, my idea of prose poetry is a stretched out idea. I'm still refin.. read more
I was knocked out by the one-twos that you delivered at the beginning Samuel - for example this -
"...But was it national pride or employment,that armoured his heart and head? " followed by this - "...Never mind, they keep the dogs well fed.." Thats just like the poetry that I read that made me see poetry in a new light - like the poetry of Wilfred Owen and Sassoon.
Me? I would have stopped at the end of the fourth stanza - but then i wouldn't have read this - "...I walked away sweetly,leaving young friends with bitter feelings. " another gem.

Im sure my lack of stamina coupled with natural need to hurry has affected much of my view of this work Samuel. Maybe someone else will help clarify this

Peace

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samuel Jack

10 Years Ago

Take your time with it, remember its prose, like reading a book. But I see what you mean, I may have.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2013
Last Updated on June 29, 2013
Tags: War

Author

Samuel Jack
Samuel Jack

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
I'm from the industrial wasteland that is England, I'm very passionate about poetry, while not being very educated on the subject. So constructive criticism is more than welcome. I like poetry, for.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..