TheWrongTrain

TheWrongTrain

A Story by Samyuktha Poornima
"

"That evening he was on the right train coincidentally.. the wrong train which he used to travel every day passed his way and he smiled" At last, the right train was my decision!

"

"That evening he was on the right train coincidentally.. the wrong train which he used to travel every day passed his way and he smiled"


Atlast, the right train was my decision!


#TheWrongTrain


Veer was born to Dharma and Shanthi. The couple raised Veer well, gave him good lifestyle and education. Lakshmi was born to them when Veer was 3 years old. She was also given a good life. Dharma was a clerk in a private sector. Both Dharma and Shanthi got Lakshmi married when she was 23 to an affluent gentleman. The newly married flew abroad after a year of their marriage. Now Veer was 26 and Dharma retired from his job. The old couple pampered their children very much that they lacked decision making. With Lakshmi, the choice of her groom was her parent's, a typical Indian thing and Veer's was his career which both weren't able to do as they wished. All they did so long in their lives was ,'Do as directed' by Dharma and Shanthi.

Veer was guided by Dharma to get employment in a bank after the completion of his engineering in software technology. He used to travel to Parry's corner every day for work. Before getting his employment confirmed after clearing the bank exam, Veer worked in a computer applications company. He loved the job. He gave his best for the 8 months he had been working there. He also had a decent salary package. On account of job security and allowances, he was asked by his parents to take up the bank job. Though this job fetched him more salary than the previous one,  Veer was completely unhappy about it. He loved software technology but married a bank job.  As he had to take care of the family and expenditure, now for Dharma got retired from his work, he agreed to sit in the bank.

A year passed. Veer was completely unhappy about his job. He was pushed to mental frustration. By that time, the debts and loans that Dharma had got for Lakshmi's wedding began to proliferate one-by-one. Veer took charge of settling the debts and loans. 6 months later, Veer opened up to his parents about his job. His parents were shocked. They were not ready to understand his unwillingness for the bank job. He left his home and parents untold along with some money. The next day, they received a letter. The letter said, 'let us stay away from each other for a while' in Veer's handwriting. Dharma and Shanthi were angry. They wanted to disturb him and never tried to contact him.

2 years passed, they missed his presence very much. They were able to understand his ideas and interest for his older job. Meanwhile, Lakshmi came back to Chennai to see her parents. She also disclosed that she had been undergoing several struggles in her marriage life till date. She told her parents that it was her who sent the letter like it is written by Veer and she was aware of Veer's dissatisfaction about his job.

The next evening, Lakshmi took her parents to the railway station through which Veer commute to work every day. She showed them that he was on the right train coincidentally. The wrong train which he used to travel every day passed his way and he smiled. They were on the wrong train looking at Veer. Shanthi tried to cry out his name, but Lakshmi stopped her.

They met a few people who are working with him in the same old software applications company. One of them started, "Veer had told us about his dislike for bank job and he might quit this job of applications developer very soon. We thought he was fooling us. He was very good at this job, getting more appreciations for his hard work, interest, and dedication. One day he left the company untold. We had no means of communication with them since that day. We saw him again in the office premise after few months. He said he met the company's director seeking the same job again. Fortunately, he got back his old job. We could see the same smile on his face once again. He had been staying with us for these years and we found him sleep with peace every night. His face reflected calmness and had no worries at all."

Dharma and Shanthi felt very bad about themselves. They wanted to meet Veer and express their feelings. Lakshmi took them back home on the right train which goes to Veer's place of employment. She made them clear that Veer should marry a girl of his choice. She also told them that Veer or the girl who marries him shouldn't face the struggles which she underwent in her married life. Both Dharma and Shanthi agreed to it.

A month later, Veer's parents and Lakshmi met him. They poured their heart. Lakshmi felt proud of her brother of making their parents understand his interests. Meanwhile, in these years when Veer was away from his home, he had interests Meena who was working with him. They wished to get married. Veer wanted to convey this to them but he hesitated. After a few months, he expressed this to Lakshmi. With her support and acceptance of his parents, Veer married Meena.


Note:

The story is not new. I have not conveyed anything different from the directors who projected the same message in similar movies in the Indian cinema. The story is just another perspective of the ones portrayed earlier. Children these days should be raised teaching the good and bad; should be capable enough to take their own decision with respect to career and life. They can get our suggestion but in the end, the decision is theirs. Dedicated to all the parents, sons and daughters who have boarded the wrong train and struggling to switch to the right one.


© 2018 Samyuktha Poornima


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
Added on January 31, 2018
Last Updated on January 31, 2018

Author

Samyuktha Poornima
Samyuktha Poornima

chennai, Tamil Nadu, India



About
A passionate writer who wishes to spread optimism and motivation to the world. more..

Writing