The Guardian

The Guardian

A Story by MysteriesUnsolved
"

How would you like to be told that you're to play babysitter -fine, Guardian- to a guy who basically ignored your existence through high school for practically no reason whatsoever. Would you feel pis

"

Prologue

 

Tension lines creased her face as the woman kept walking hurriedly, her head flicking back and forth as though expecting someone to pop out of nowhere. She passed by the town square, or so it seemed, as she wove her way through the crowd.

 

The peoples’ attire suggested that the time period was that of the 1800's. The place seemed to be London, if the surroundings were anything to go by.

 

“London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady,” the melodious choir of children sang in the corner attracting a crowd of passersby, probably tourists by the looks of it.

 

“Stop ignoring the signs Deloris, stop running and pay attention.”

 

Ignoring the voice in her head, the woman named Deloris continued walking to the main road, her frown deepening with every step that she took.

 

An outstretched arm and a whistle later she found herself seated in a cab rolling down the windows to let the faint scent of cigarette smoke out.

 

After repeating her destination twice, slower the second time so the cabbie could understand her, she sat back in her seat wiping the sweat from her forehead with a plan handkerchief, the letters “DA” embroidered in the silk.

 

The cab jerked to a halt, horns blaring in every direction as a crowd began to gather on the pavement facing the river Thames.

 

Cursing, Deloris looked out the open window hoping to understand what the commotion was all about. A foreboding sense of dread began to rise in the pit of her stomach.

 

“What if…what if they got to him?”

 

“No,” she shook her head, “that isn’t possible…it just isn’t.”

 

Little did she know that it was, and that the next few seconds of her life were going to signify the end of everything she’d worked to accomplish.

 

So close, yet so far.

 

 

Soon enough, she heard a sickening crack followed by a long loud groan as though hoping to confirm her worst fears.

 

“I warned you didn’t I?” the voice inside her head said again.

 

The most baffling thing was that the voice didn’t belong to Deloris. For one, it was deep, much like a male’s voice would sound and for another, it kept taunting Deloris, subtly chiding her for an unknown mistake.

 

“And this affects me how?” Deloris growled back mentally.

Telepathy, perhaps?

 

“Think, why target the bridge of London? They surely aren’t looking to draw attention towards themselves. What do they get out of this?” the voice asked her.

 

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe whomever they are think that you might miraculously be present there resulting in your much awaited death” Deloris sneered in response.

 

“Now then, if only I had a reputation for being so stupid, maybe I would consider the possibility, but I do not. Though where do you reckon dear little Oliver is at the moment?” the voice probed.

 

“On a ferry across the River Thames on a class trip…” Deloris’ eyes widened yet she refused to believe it. She refused to believe that she’d lost him.

 

Yet as realization dawned on her bit by bit, the denial turned to regret, hope fading away as recent memories came to the surface.

 

The children singing about the London Bridge falling down, the sickening crack, Oliver on a ferry which would pass by the bridge; of course, they were throwing it in her face all along.

 

“No, this cannot be happening, they can’t have gotten to Oliver” she shouted, as if saying the words out loud would somehow change reality, “they couldn’t have, he can’t be dead. He just can’t.”

Another sickening crack, another loud groan, and tears surrounded Deloris’ eyes. A symphony of cries sounded from somewhere beneath the masses, as the sound of concrete scraping metal silenced everyone surrounding the collapsing bridge.

 

With each staggering step, Deloris pushed through the crowd towards the railing overlooking the river. Even through the haze of her tears she could make out the ruin of white and gray that carried a class of children including her dearest Oliver.

 

The ship had been torn to pieces and the only consolation was the lack of blood staining the river.

 

But just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

 

“It’s over,” said the voice, a calm melancholy laced within, “I warned you but you failed to listen.”

 

© 2014 MysteriesUnsolved


Author's Note

MysteriesUnsolved
Found anything off?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can make little sense of the story. The beginning, indicating 1800's, town square and London leads in one direction, tourists, cabs and blaring horns in another. Is Deloris A. a figure from history that my education neglected? Why do I need to know her initials are D.A.? should I know something of Oliver the story is not telling?

In short the story does not supply sufficient information for this reader to understand the premise.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MysteriesUnsolved

9 Years Ago

Well that is the point of a prologue is it not? To provide a subtle glance into the story. All the q.. read more
Delmar Cooper

9 Years Ago

I didn’t even think about this being a prologue and viewed it as a portion of story so ignore al.. read more
MysteriesUnsolved

9 Years Ago

The fact about the prologue being too confusing for a reader is something I hadn't taken into consid.. read more



Reviews

I liked how you started this off, without giving too much away. It will serve well later one, as the story progresses and we begin to catch onto things as we read on.
Didn't find too much that was off, just a few little things here and there that I thought I'd list here for you. I hope they help! :)
"1800s." when writing a year, or so I've been told and have seen numerous times, it's supposed to be "1800's" instead. I make that mistake a lot too.
The sentence "The place seemed to be London if the surroundings were anything to go by." is very well thought out and written, but it seemed rushed. Try tossing in a comma after "London", so as to give it a break. That way you can convey the thought at a steady and sufficient pace. :)
I saw a few tiny things here and there in regards to commas and breaks. Usually, what I do to help me figure out where they need to go, is that I read my work to myself and get the feel of how it flows. Sometimes people break abruptly for dramatic purposes but, sometimes, it's not so necessary.
A very intriguing beginning! I really, really thought it was very creative and you didn't give away too much which, sometimes, is the beauty of reading stories.
I enjoyed it, well done! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MysteriesUnsolved

9 Years Ago

I noticed the errors you mentioned and they have been corrected. I'll certainly read my stories to m.. read more
I can make little sense of the story. The beginning, indicating 1800's, town square and London leads in one direction, tourists, cabs and blaring horns in another. Is Deloris A. a figure from history that my education neglected? Why do I need to know her initials are D.A.? should I know something of Oliver the story is not telling?

In short the story does not supply sufficient information for this reader to understand the premise.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MysteriesUnsolved

9 Years Ago

Well that is the point of a prologue is it not? To provide a subtle glance into the story. All the q.. read more
Delmar Cooper

9 Years Ago

I didn’t even think about this being a prologue and viewed it as a portion of story so ignore al.. read more
MysteriesUnsolved

9 Years Ago

The fact about the prologue being too confusing for a reader is something I hadn't taken into consid.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 26, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014
Tags: Fantasy, Monsters, Magic