She Only Saw Death

She Only Saw Death

A Story by Sandra Caskey
"

Part two of my mini-series. Part one: Life and Death's Forbidden Love. Part three: Death Has Life's Gift

"
There she stood in the middle of the square. Her eyes were focused on a tall and slender figure, slouching downward before her.  She gazed at him in wonder and thought of the last time she had seen him, taking her mom’s hand and removing her from the hospital bed. She even remembered him that night she had wobbled into her baby brother’s room, where she saw him take his precious, tiny, malnourished hand. At the time, she was grateful that her brother would no longer suffer, but she had prayed if he would take her next. And, now, here he was. She stretched her arm outward and waited for him to take her hand. 

He had remembered her face. How could he not? He had been watching over her for the decade she had lived, battling illness and abuse from careless and heartless individuals. She lost everything around her and the innocence of herself. Here, she fought and, here, she stayed. Here, at that moment, it was time for her to finally gain all the rest she had missed. However, he hesitated, for he felt like a guardian"always protecting her, always preventing her from falling into his arms. He was no angel, but he went against his own duty to avoid her never seeing light again. He loved her because she was a gift

Across the square, afar from them, gunshots were fired. The little girl flinched and dropped her hand. She scanned the area of the curious crowd, fear sinking in.

He stared pitifully at her. She’s afraid, he thought. She’ll die being afraid.

Bang, bang! Bang, bang! The crowd scattered and the girl began screaming. Hundreds of strangers dashed between and around them. She fell down onto her knees, her hands covering her ears. She screamed until her lungs stopped producing oxygen. She grew light-headed, swaying slightly. Her vision became blurred and the people were nothing, but he remained clear, so she placed her attention onto him.

She never truly observed his appearance, but as she did, her fear slowly faded away"the opposite, she knew. He was slouched to the side in his over-sized, netted cloak with the hood pulled over his head. His face was dark, but she could still figure out the outlining of a skull. Being held by his left hand was a scythe, towering over him. Dangling around his neck was a necklace of rope. His manifestation would be frightening to others, but she loved him.

As her fear became nothing, he grew more afraid.

Bang! Bang! He watched her fall, her body jerking as she hit the ground. A puddle of her blood formed around her.

Instead of stopping, people ran passed her and some stepped onto her. The little life she carried was crushed out.

With her eyes remaining upon him, she watched him strode to her and knelt down into her blood. He brushed her hair with his skeletal fingers and asked if she was ready to go. She nodded. That was all he needed. As he took her hand, there was a hint of happiness.

Life had sent him a gift and, now, he was able to keep her forever.

© 2015 Sandra Caskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on January 13, 2015
Last Updated on January 13, 2015
Tags: death, love, life, little girl

Author

Sandra Caskey
Sandra Caskey

About
Hi! I'm Sandra Caskey! I'm 19-years-old and I plan to start submitting my works into magazines. I first started sharing my writings on deviantART. It's helped out. :) Where am I? Instagram: C.. more..

Writing