Part 2: Reliving the Past

Part 2: Reliving the Past

A Story by Sandra Soto
"

Short story about things I have been through in my life.

"

I wake up to hear my cellphone ringing, the old annoying kind because i'm 13 and it's all I could afford. I was more fortunate than others to have had a job to make something but like most kids my age I just babysat for the neighbors. 
"Hello"? I manage to croak out. 
"Sandra! I'm on my way to pick you up so we can spend the weekend together, I'll be there in 15 mins." 
"Okay I'll be ready." I say to my Mother. 
I only get to see her from time to time since my parents got divorced. She took it harder than my Dad did in the long run. It was Christmas Eve  when everything happened, of all the days. It also happened to be the first time all four of my half-brothers were flying in from their dad's for Christmas. To make a long story short all four of my brothers and myself ended up 8 houses down while my Mom slept with the guy who drove the black ford mustang loudly down the street. 
Christmas day Mom decided she wasn't going to my Grandparent's house and wanted to stay with her new friend. My Dad and four half-brothers went quietly to my grandparent's house. It was the worst Christmas we all ever had, the pictures are still hard to look at to this day. Nobody was excited to open presents and we all just sat there quietly not knowing what to do or say to each other. 
The days following after my brothers were sent back up to Michigan from Texas where I was left alone to deal with all this. Of course I was only 9 years old at the time. The youngest of us siblings. My father spend every night at the bar drinking his feelings away. I can't say that I blame him. My Mom and I went back to get a few things as I see my Dad down on his knees begging her to come back. Tears running down his cheeks, he never ever cries.  I'll never fully understand what happened to them or why she chose to run down the street wasting away a marriage of 12 years. 
As the divorce pulls forward and court begins, Dad sues for custody. My Mom ends up pregnant with the other guy's baby. Now it's her turn to beg for my Dad back, because obviously this guy isn't fit to raise a kid. She's stuck and made a terrible mistake and my Dad won't take her back. He has already pulled himself together, even though I can still tell it hurts. 
With my Dad, my mother didn't have to work, she was a stay at home Mom and her job was to take care of me and the house. It's what she does best. Now she has zero job experience and Black Mustang Guy can't support a family. My father was a workaholic and was absolutely terrified on how to raise me by himself, but he knew Mom couldn't take care of me.  
So eventually, my dad won custody of me in court and moved 8 houses back down to the house that we had all lived in together. It felt different and I was home alone a lot more than before. My dad ends up meeting a woman that he thought was fit enough to help raise me and buys a house in the best school district in Texas. While my mother was stuck with Mustang guy and my baby sister. 
I hang up the phone and slowly drag myself out of bed and get ready to spend a weekend with my Mom. She's been through a steady string of boyfriends by now since she can't take care of my sister by herself and Mustang guy was addicted to Meth. Her current boyfriend is 24 years old, and so far him and I get along, that could just be that him and I are closer in age than they are. 
I receive a text saying that here so I can meet her outside. I tell my step mom I'm leaving and lock the front door. 
I get into the car "Hey Mom, where is Madison?" 
"Hey, so I'm going to take you over to my friend's house from work, I'll pick you up tomorrow or Sunday morning. Madison is there too. It's only for a little while because I have to go find Johnny."
"Umm, okay, I guess" I say Unhappily. 
"You'll like them, Sandra." 
We head to a neighborhood, and pull up to a house I've never seen before. We go inside and the first thing I see is my sister running full speed at my Mom crying. I couldn't tell you how long she had been there but she looked scared and it gave me a sick feeling. My Mom gave me my sister and she leaves. Nothing else was said she just walks out the door. There are a few adults here and I'm already feeling really uncomfortable. My sister is still crying and won't let me go. I finally console her but you would think an adult would be caring for a 3 year old little girl. Nobody paid us any mind. They turn on the TV for us and didn't say a word until they made us dinner and it was practically nothing. Just canned green beans and a roll. I got my sister to eat and had to use the restroom so I stepped away. By the time I came back Madison had realized I had left and was screaming and running around while the adults yelled at her to be quiet. She saw me again and ran to my legs holding me so tight. She was so scared and I felt my heart break. 
I finally couldn't take it anymore and asked to use a phone. I called my Dad and told him that Mom had dropped me off at this stranger's house and I don't know where I am and all I want to do it is go home. I told him I was scared for my sister and didn't want to leave her. My Dad called Mustang guy to come get my sister which mean my mom couldn't get her back. At that time, I was hoping that her Dad could keep her safer than the current situation. I went home with my Dad and didn't see my sister or my mom for a long time after that. 


© 2017 Sandra Soto


Author's Note

Sandra Soto
plz ignore grammer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on November 27, 2016
Last Updated on July 28, 2017

Author

Sandra Soto
Sandra Soto

MI



About
Everything I write comes right from the heart. I needed somewhere to let go of all the words in my head, I feel naked, posting it all with nothing to lose. I hope you enjoy, thank you for reading. more..

Writing
; ;

A Story by Sandra Soto