Securing Fate

Securing Fate

A Chapter by Sapphire

I promise to make all the right choices


I sit at the lunch table with Gracielyn and Robyn, who keeps babbling about today’s shopping spree for after school. It’s a short day and they are just itching.


            “So, are all the invitations gone?” Orlando, my younger brother inquires. I tilt my head and scowl. “Well, I, uh, met someone and she has a few friends who want to tag along.”


            “Who?” I ask.


            “Her name is Michelle.” He looks over his shoulder at a table not too far from ours. I gaze at each of the three girls at the table. “The one in the middle.”


            “And you want to invite those three?” Gracie asks. He nods. “That’s fine.”


   He thanks us as he rises from his seat. He walks over to the table where Michelle sits. He sits next to Michelle, who cannot stop blushing. This is a big step for my young brother; he might be rowdy and loud, but he’s still very shy.


   I turn to Gracie and I kiss her temple, lingering my contact. I have loved this woman in my arms for two years and her love never fails me. There can never be anything in this world that will take me from her.


   I look back at the table where Orly and Michelle are. I notice one of the girls sitting there; Emery Green. Her mother is a good friend of my mother, Iris. Sometimes I can’t wrap my finger around why two mothers are good friends and their children aren’t. I shake my head.


   After school, I meet Gracie by her classroom. She walks out and quickly grabs my hand, rushing me out the school. I can tell she’s distressed about what happened in her class. Before we reach my car, I pull her to slow her down. She turns to me with red eyes.


            “What’s wrong?” I ask. She shakes her head. “Gracielyn,” I call. She doesn’t answer. I follow her eyes to a bunch of girls gazing her down. I just hope it’s not another threat from Josephine Gallos, the one girl that envies Gracie because I love her.


   I went to eight grade prom with Josephine and we had one kiss. ONE! And it wasn’t even that good. When I kissed Gracielyn for the first time, I was floating in

heaven. And Josephine hated that fact.


   I pull Gracie in my arms. She hugs me. that’s the one fact that scares Gracie more than anything; losing me to someone as evil as Gallos. “F**k her, baby.” I whisper in the skin of her temple. She looks up at me and smiles. I smile back. I pull her lips to mine and under my lips, I gently massage hers.


   I grab her hand and we walk over to my car. Robyn smiles. Throw her the keys so she can drive. It seems as if Gracielyn needs me to hold her now. As Robyn drives to the mall, Gracie rests on my chest.


   When we arrive, my cell phone buzzes. I check the message. “Uh, Robyn. Dad just reminded us that when he and mom get off, we have to meet at the cabin.”


            “Okay; two hours is enough.” she smiles. The shopping begins. I am constantly hounded with jeans, long sleeve shirts, coats, gloves and hats. And I have to hand it to them; their style does fit me better. After all the shopping, we gather at the food court. All day, I have kept my eyes on a jewelry store in the mall.


            “So, what was up with you today, Grac?” Robyn asks. I use this opportunity to excuse myself. “Where are you going?”


            “I wanted to check out a store. Just stay; I’ll be back.” I quickly leave.


   When I told my mother I was going to give Gracielyn a promise ring, she gave

me a few tips. One: I shouldn’t get something flashy and expensive. I should keep it very simple and to her style. Seeing how Gracie dresses and shops, she has style. And keep it simple.


And that was about it.


   As I check the stores I pass, I notice Emery sitting on a bench playing on her I-pod.  I smile; this is a perfect opportunity to make an acquaintance. Plus, she can help me with some ideas.


   I stand in front her. she hesitantly looks up. She notices my face and smiles “I, uh, saw you on the bench and I thought you could help me.” I beg.


   She stands up. “Sure, what do you need help with?” Her enthusiastic attitude shocks me. I bite my tongue to tell her that she’s so much like her mother.


            “Um, well, I’m giving Gracielyn a promise ring, but my mom didn’t give me much advice.” I slowly explain.


   We both chuckle. “That’s real sweet. Um, sure.” We start walking towards the store together in an awkward silence. We reach the store. “What’s Gracie’s style?”


            “She’s simple, but on some occasions, she’s fashionable.” I answer.


            “Well, you’re looking for something that’s simple and stylish.” She lurks around. “maybe this one.”


   I glance at her chosen ring. It’s real thin etched with small diamonds. The main gem is a sapphire stone. I smile. “Why did you choose this one?”


            “The sapphire stone will always remind her that you’re always with her. that you’re always watching her.”


            “I’m not a stalker.”


            “No, it’s a sense of protection, like the Eye of Ra. She’ll have the fact that even when she’s alone, she’s protected.” she vividly explains.


   I nod with a smile. I buy the ring and the cashier hands me the small black bag with the ring in it. we exit the store.


            “You know, how come we never hang out?” She scowls at my question. “What I mean is, our mothers are so close, but their kids aren’t.”


   She laughs. “Well, many feel that your family is too flawless to befriend; you have the looks, money and people like us feel as if you need to befriend people of your own class.”


            “Whoa, whoa, whoa, you guys really think that?” She nods. “Well, looks like things have to change. Come to my birthday party on Saturday. And from there, we can hang out. I’ll pick you up, too.”


            “That’s asking for too much.” I step in her path.


            “I’ll pick you up.”


            “No.”


            “Do you have any other way of going?”


            “Who said I was going?” she raises an eyebrow and smirks.


            “Say yes.” I beg. A moment passes and she gives in. I smile. I turn to walk away from her. I throw a wave over my shoulder. I return to my waiting friends/.Robyn gazes at me.


            “Dad is getting impatient.” We rush out to my car and we head to the cabin not far from Rosewood. The cabin is a couple miles out and on mountain trail. It’s a really luxurious cabin my grandfather owns. It has a large kitchen and dining lobby. A foyer on the ground and second floor and about two dozen rooms to place about six guests in each.


   We have to make sure the decorations are in order for tomorrow. The food should get here in the morning. The guests should be arriving around noon. And the best part, I will give Gracielyn her ring.


   We arrive and I can already hear my mother ordering my family around. We quickly join them. After an hour, the gift bags are set up in each room, the decorations are in place. And we are sitting in foyer, tired.


            “I should get dinner going.” my mother smiles. Her cooking is the best.

   Not far behind, my father follows her. Haley and Ashton leave with Robyn and Orlando. And soon, it’s just me and Gracie alone.


            “Are you ready to lock up?” she asks.


   I nod. “But first, I need to talk to you.” I scoot on the edge of the sofa, taking her hands. “These last two years have been the happiest years I have lived. And, I am sure that no one else can make me happier than you. Yes, I love Iris and I love your partner in crime.” She giggles. Robyn… “When I look at my future, I see you in every vision. All my choices evolve around you, even marriage.”


   She gasps. I place a finger on her mouth. “Let me finish. I can’t marry you now because, well, school is a barrier. And I’m not proposing.” I smile. I pull the gray, satin box from my pocket. “But, I am promising my heart to you, Gracielyn.”


   I slowly open the box. Her eyes pop out of her head once she sees the ring. I grab it and I place it on her ring finger. She studies it.


            “Now, I’ll know that you’re always watching me when we’re apart.” she thanks. She gently kisses me. Our kiss lingers.



© 2011 Sapphire


Author's Note

Sapphire
this chapter seems like i was in a rush to finish it... :(

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
Added on August 11, 2011
Last Updated on August 11, 2011


Author

Sapphire
Sapphire

Houston, TX



About
I'm in love with music, Robert Downey Jr, Michael Jackson, and Johnny Depp. I love to write romances and poetry. I love to read other things when I'm not writing myself. i do love to write lots of poe.. more..

Writing
How to Love How to Love

A Poem by Sapphire


17 17

A Chapter by Sapphire


Interrogations Interrogations

A Chapter by Sapphire