Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sage Mare

Chapter 1

“Overlord this is Delta Actual, we are 3 clicks west from the LZ.” It was a normal day patrolling the far north side of the wall in the coastal Forest “Be advised Delta Actual, we’ve spotted some trucks blocking your route about half a click from your position.” We’ve been getting restless, the Russians haven't made a move in almost a month and we all knew they were going to make one soon… a big one.“Copy all Overlord, Delta out.”


When we got to the road block everything was quiet, almost peaceful. “Dillon I want your group to get them trucks out the way we got your six.” Commander Xander ordered. Xander had been with us since the beginning. “Hey Smiley get your a*s up!” I said. Smiley was the new guy, just turned 23 and he’s always being a wiseguy and he makes us all laugh I guess that’s where the nickname smiley kicked in. “Dillon they're unlocked get in on the steering wheel and we’ll push.” Rich said. But when I was climbing into the cab of the truck I saw a pressure plate just under the seat… but it was too late. “The trucks f*****g rigged.” I said to myself. “Smiley the trucks f*****g rigged!.” Smiley came over to inspect, when he came over his eyes widened and his face got pale. “F**k Dillon don’t...just don’t f*****g move bro.” “XANDER….” as soon as Smiley spoke a sharp SNAP came from in the woods and he fell in a fast growing pool of his blood.


I ran away from the truck as fast as I could then I felt the shockwave push me down and not so soon after the heat came and then gunfire came from everywhere. With my ears ringing I could barely make out Xander yelling “Ambush!”. I felt someone pulling me toward the Humvee but I couldn't get a good look at his face because it was pitch black with blotches of bright red seeping through. It was Rich, I could only tell it was him when my ears finally stopped ringing and I heard him asking me if I was alright. I looked down for my pistol and when I pulled it out Rich fell to the ground, I pulled myself to my knees to get a better look at him then I saw the dark circles slowly growing in four different spots on his back. “Rich!” I screamed but Xander was already pulling me to my feet and handing me a rifle. “We’ve gotta get the Hell outta here now” he said turning back to the Humvee. “Overlord, this is Delta Actual we are taking heavy ambush fire, and we’re losing men by the minute.” I started to climb into the vehicle and I made my way to the 50cal. turret on top. “Delta Actual, get your asses out of there we have arranged a secondary LZ half a click East from your position. Over.”  We took off as fast as we could managing only to snag the dog tags of Rich and Smiley. We made our way to the secondary LZ in silence, this was our first fire fight since the wall was put up.


The wall is a 12 mile long separation of North and South California. No one was suspecting an attack, especially from Russia. After the first wave Russia came full force starting by using long range missiles they set up somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Then they sent in fighter jets one after another, finally they sent men. These men were relentless, stopping at nothing to kill as many Americans as they could civilian or not. The brutal onslaught lasted for about a month or so until we finally started to erect the wall. After the wall was up we were able to keep them at bay, everyone was given a job and things were calming down for the most part. Until today.


“Hey you guys alright?” the co-pilot of the chinuch asked. “Yeah we’ll manage, got some tough sons of b*****s with me.” Xander said in an almost calm voice. As we were boarding the chinuch we heard the radio. “8 7 3 1, this is Zulu Actual we need immediate cas evac and extract, we’ve got 9 men down on the far west side taking heavy fifty cal and RPG fire!” I stopped listening to stare out the window. We were above the west side of the wall when all you could see was death. Our men scattered everywhere some of them intact but many in pieces. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! An alarm inside of the helicopter sounded. “Overlord we are being locked on at the west side wall taking evasive maneuvers.” the beeping got quicker and closer together until it was a solid note. “Overlord we are locked on, enemy has lock on us!” “6-1, get our men out of there.” When I looked out the window I saw a thin line of puffy white smoke heading toward us. “S**t! They sent one out, closing in fast!” The large helicopter sharply swept to the side and just barely missed the large rocket that shot past us. “Holy s**t that was close.” Sandman said. Xander gave us all a little chuckle. “Best job ever.” the pilot said. “Hey I actually do love my job and I’m quite good at it too.” the co-pilot said half laughing.


We got back to base without any other confrontation. “The Russians have pushed past the west side wall… luckily it’s nothing but forest. We need Xander’s team and Sandman's team along with Seal Team 4 to go clean up the mess. Overlord took the drones footage and this is what it found.” The footage showed about 50 or 60 men navigating around the forest. “Alright any questions?....Okay, you’ll link up with Team 4 at 0300 hours.” We had about 13 hours to rest but the horrors of today wouldn't let us relax.


Ling Ming was in the corner of the room hugging a picture of his wife. Alex was reading a book looking unfazed accept the distant look in his eyes, and when you took a closer look he wasn't reading the book at all. His eyes staying streight. Xander was out getting our equipment ready. Danny was coping with Smiley's death and Miles was there comforting him. Paul was on the cot next to mine and he was listening to his classic rock playlist titled “Going To War”. These are my brothers, there aren't many of us but we are all highly trained soldiers. We are all Green Berets. “He was such a good kid, why did that b*****d have to go he owes me fifty bucks.” Danny said crying trying to cheer himself up. Danny and Smiley were like brothers but closer. “Come on Danny get your head together okay? We’re all in pain but we’ve got to keep going okay?” Miles said in a half stern but half comforting voice.


I put in my ear buds and started to listen to my running playlist. At some point I fell asleep and I woke up when Xander started to shake me. “Come on it’s 0100 and we got an hour trip to the east wall.” He said pulling me up. I got my gear on and got with the rest of my crew. “Hey you okay Dillon?” Alex asked. “Yeah I’m just...I keep seeing Riches face, but I’ll be okay thanks.” I said confidently. “Okay everyone knows where we're going?...Good let's go!” Xander said anxiously. Sandmans group got there not to long after we did and we took off. Seal Team 4 was already there when we arrived.


© 2016 Sage Mare


Author's Note

Sage Mare
First Chapter Ill post the second one in about 3 days

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Added on March 5, 2016
Last Updated on March 5, 2016
Tags: War, Fighting, Death


Author

Sage Mare
Sage Mare

Santa Rosa, CA



About
I'm a Ninth grade student and I am interested in the world of writing. I want readers to see not just read my stories. I am always trying to be as descriptive as possible. more..

Writing