Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by SummerL

 

 

 

Finally driving past the “Welcome to Corvallis” sign, into a town that seemed like half the size of my block back in L.A. I sighed, maybe living here wasn’t such a good idea, I might start to feel blocked in, and claustrophobic. I swallowed hard already feeling like I was drowning. I pulled my truck off into a small parking lot. I looked up at the building, it was a diner, maybe I’ll just grab a bite to eat, and some coffee. I could use a good meal. Something big, I needed to start gaining my weight back. The clouds over head threatened to send down rain, I pulled my black hoodie over my head, and got out heading for the door.

The weather was depressing, cloudy and on the verge of raining. I didn’t mind the rain so much, but I hoped it wouldn’t be like this all the time. It is the time turning into the fall season, I would just have to get used to it. I wouldn’t go back to L.A.

I entered the building welcoming the heat happily, and walked over to a table to be seated. There weren’t many people here, a woman with her back to me at the counter, she had dark curly hair, a slim figure, but from here that’s all I could see. Another man, maybe a truck driver sat at a booth by himself, his beard was thick, and gray. He looked tired, like he’s worked too hard. I turned away from him meeting the gaze of an elderly woman, she had gentle eyes, like my grandmothers. She had an apron on, jeans and an old blouse. She must work here. Walked over to my table, “What can I get for you?” I noticed the woman at the counter turned to look at me. I looked at her, my seemed to have fell open. Though I didn’t do anything to close it, and probably looked like an idiot. She had smoky eyes, I couldn’t see the color from over here, they must have been a darker color. Her nose arched perfectly her lips full and pursed. “Son, what would you like to eat?”

I shook my head, meeting the old woman’s gaze again, clearing my throat I said, “Eggs, and bacon, and pancakes?” I looked up at her questioningly, “Oh, and coffee.”

She nodded her head, and walked away, the woman looked at me again, meeting my gaze. I smiled a little, and she smiled back, her teeth perfect, and white. I looked away from her, and stared out the window. I guess I was ashamed of how I looked compared to her. I was too skinny, and to fragile right now to even try to talk to her. I shook my head, then laid it down on the table. I could feel her eyes on me, but I didn’t want to look up. I didn’t want to talk to her. She was to beautiful, and I was broken, someone that couldn’t be fixed. The older woman came back with my food, sat down at the table, and scooted the plate closer to me. I lifted my head up, pulling my eyebrows together I looked at her. “You’re new around here?”

I nodded, and looked down at the food. I hadn’t seen this much food in months. I grabbed my fork, and crammed as much food as I could into my mouth.

She eyed me suspiciously, “Where are you from?”

“L.A.” I said with my mouth full, I was starving. I put my hand over my mouth quickly, “Sorry,” I swallowed, then continued speaking. “I’m going to college here. Don’t you even get new faces?”

                She shook her head, and smiled, “Normally people choose the food at the school, mostly they never really come in this far.”

                I looked down at my plate, this is the first time I’ve actually had a conversation with someone. Why did she care where I was from? Was she this friendly  with all her customers? I didn’t really care to talk to her, I didn’t want to be rude though. What did she want?

                “You’re eating like you haven’t eaten in a while.” It wasn’t a question. Did she notice how unhealthy I looked? Or maybe it was because I was eating like an animal. I quickly sat up, and wiped my mouth, not saying anything. I looked down at my plate, then slowly met her eyes. I could tell she didn’t mean any harm, the pucker between her brow meant she was worried. Why would she be worried about me? She just met me, why would she care? Her eyes flickered away from me to the woman at the counter, she didn’t think I noticed. Looking down at my plate, I didn’t want to look at the woman at the counter. What if she was judging me the way I ate, or the way I acted? I couldn’t even hold up a conversation with this kind hearted woman. “Well, you’re welcome here anytime. Don’t worry about paying this time dear. New comers always eat free for their first visit. I’m Sandy, by the way.” She reached her hand out to take mine.

                “Nice to meet you, Silas,” she walked away knowing I wouldn’t reply. I didn’t watch her walk away in fear that I would meet the eyes of the woman at the counter. I finished eating my food, and drank my coffee. I sighed in content, I hadn’t been this full in a long time, I thought maybe there was hope. I walked over to the counter, and placed a twenty by the register. I walked by the beautiful woman on my way out. I looked at her through the corner of my eye. I wanted to talk to her, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to hold a conversation, just like I wasn’t able to with Sandy.

                I got to my truck, and immediately turned on the heater. I wasn’t used to this weather. Now I had to go find the cabin, and get settled in.

 

 

 



© 2013 SummerL


Author's Note

SummerL
I've changed the way the events happen, and the way everything will turn out. There is more to come! Just let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are a few mistakes but they are very minor. I like this story alright, but it is a little slow in my opinion. I may just be too impatient. What I think is lacking is really good detail. You elaborate on things, but I think you should create more of a picture. With some minor cleaning up and imagery this story could be fantastic.But these are just suggestions; I don't want to make you feel like you ABSOLUTELY have to fix it. I really do like the way you're going though. This character you've created is easy to relate to and I'm curious to see how this story progresses. :)
-Riley

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SummerL

11 Years Ago

I'll work on that, Thanks! I really appreciate it.



Reviews

too much "I". very sing songy. as i read i felt as if in a rut. i am intrigued by all the possibility of one thing or another but my sense is that you are avoiding the meat. i need a hook right from the start and not an everyday occurrence of a young person off to college. especially from, at minimum, the upper middle class. i think you should continue to work this over. put the hook in; and then develop the story.
E.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SummerL

11 Years Ago

I have a hook, and I'm revising it. I hope you'll like it, I just have to work the rest in and get r.. read more
Einstein Noodle

11 Years Ago

i sure will. i think there is substance to your work; and i am intrigued. please know that i am not .. read more
SummerL

11 Years Ago

Professional writer or not, I appreciate you taking your time to read what I've created.
Thank.. read more
There are a few mistakes but they are very minor. I like this story alright, but it is a little slow in my opinion. I may just be too impatient. What I think is lacking is really good detail. You elaborate on things, but I think you should create more of a picture. With some minor cleaning up and imagery this story could be fantastic.But these are just suggestions; I don't want to make you feel like you ABSOLUTELY have to fix it. I really do like the way you're going though. This character you've created is easy to relate to and I'm curious to see how this story progresses. :)
-Riley

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SummerL

11 Years Ago

I'll work on that, Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 14, 2013
Last Updated on July 19, 2013
Tags: love, dreams, hopes, teens, commitment


Author

SummerL
SummerL

Bakersfield, CA



About
Names Summer, I'm 19. I write in my spare time, to relax my mind and get frustrations out. I just want people to read what my mind brings up. more..

Writing
The Fighter The Fighter

A Book by SummerL


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by SummerL