Jackie

Jackie

A Story by Sammie Rose
"

This is a story about a girl that beat the odds.

"
Have you ever heard about the 17 year old southpaw young lady that struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in session???

You are in for a treat get yours Pepsi cola and cracker Jack's ready because I have a whale of a tale to share with you.

On August 29,1912 Jackie Mitchell, was the daughter of Virne Wall and Dr. Joseph Mitchell. Born in Chattanooga Tennesse. She was a fighter from birth only weighing three and half pounds.

Although once she was old enough to walk she was at the baseball diamond watching the game with her dad.

When she lived in Memphis her neighbor was Dazzy Vance who at the time was playing in the minor leagues. He saw such potential in her that he taught her to throw his favorite pitch, which he called the drop pitch. (The ball would soar through the air at one level then just drop right before it reached the plate.) Jackie was only five or six years old at that time.

A skill that would be a game changer for her in years to come.

While attending a school in Atlanta Georgia that was special to baseball, at the age of seventeen she managed to get the attention of Joe Engle. The owner of the Chattanooga Lookouts.

On March 23,1931 Joe presented her with a contract to play for him. Jackie was more than likely overjoyed as she signed the contract. Then became a member of the AA minor league team.

On April 2, 1931 at 2:30 pm the game began it was the New York Yankees against the Chattanooga Lookouts.

So Jackie wasn't the first pitcher, Earl Combs was the first to take the mound. Lyn Lary was the starting batter. Earl pitched and Lyn hit that ball up the middle and to claim a single.

Up next was Babe Ruth to the plate. This was it. The moment Jackie was waiting for. The manager told her to take the mound. She had to gain her composure as she stepped up , her eye was on Babe.

She picked up the ball pulled her arm back and let it go.

"Ball one!" the ump called.

Heart racing but she still had time. Then she wound up then let it go.

"Strike one!"

She pitched twice more both strikes.

"You're out!" Babe Ruth walked off the field.

Up next was Lou Gehrig to take the plate. His eyes are on this girl. She was ready and threw it.

"Strike one!"

She threw it again. "Strike two!"

Can she do it again?

With ball in hand she released it. "Strike three! You're out!"

Jackie had done the unthinkable. She not only struck out Babe Ruth but Lou Gehrig too. There are many rumors that this story was a myth and didn't really happen this way. I would like to believe it did. Way to go Jackie!!

As Babe Ruth said, "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

© 2022 Sammie Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on October 21, 2022
Last Updated on October 21, 2022
Tags: Historical figure, baseball, dream.

Author

Sammie Rose
Sammie Rose

Urbana, MO



About
Just wanted to say hi there. I am 37 live in a small town in Missouri. I have been in love with writing since I got my first journal at the age of 11. Books were my first friend. more..

Writing