The First Encounter

The First Encounter

A Story by Kloverfield
"

Statistics show that most women aren't attracted to dead people.

"
Statistics show that most women aren't attracted to dead people.


Rindy pouted at her best friend.  "He's not cute at all.  He's not even pleasant to be around.  Why are you dating him?"

"Because he's really sweet, and he really cares about me," Sarah replied with a dreamy look in her eyes.

Rindy shook her head, making her large brown ringlets bounce.  "Whose funeral are we going to anyways?"

Sarah shrugged.  "My cousin's uncle's brother's best friend, or something of that nature.  I was told I met him once, and I was told I need to be here for support."

"What was his name?"

Another shrug.  "Something like Matt or Jonas.  I don't know.  I only met him once."  Sarah glanced over at Rindy.  "I'm surprised that you dressed up."

Rindy glanced down at her outfit, too cheerful for a funeral.  She was wearing a frilly, pink skirt, a flowery, white top, and a pink jean jacket.  "I just bought the jacket, and I wanted to wear it.  Doesn't it look good?"

Sarah rolled her eyes.  "You look good in everything."

"No, I don't," Rindy denied.  "I look horrid in t-shirts, and capris make my legs look disproportionate."

Sarah just laughed and continued walking towards the church.

Sarah and Rindy were nearly complete opposites.  Rindy had shoulder length, brown curls, usually tied up in a ribbon.  Sarah had golden blonde hair in a spiky pixie cut, usually with a random hair clip.  Rindy wore pink, frilly, girly clothes.  Sarah wore dark, simple clothes, usually a simple shirt and long pants.  Sarah's signature accessory is one of her many scarves.  The only similarity between their outward appearances were their choice in shoes.  They always wore shoes that they could go anywhere in, Rindy in tennis shoes, Sarah in combat boots.  When people tried to describe Rindy, the said that she was like a porcelain doll because of her pale skin.  Sarah was not delicate, with her tan skin and freckled cheeks. Rindy looked breakable while Sarah looked like she could be the one to break others.  

Rindy and Sarah entered the church where people were milling around.

Sarah whispered to Rindy, "Let's just give our condolences and go.  I hate funerals."

"I don't know.  I've never been to a funeral before."

"That's because you don't have anything decent to wear to a funeral.  Just look at you.  You're the only one in color."

It was true, but Rindy disregarded it.  "Is it an open casket?" she asked instead.  "I've never seen a dead human before."

Sarah shrugged and rolled her eyes.

For a while, they looked for someone to give condolences to that could tell Sarah's parents that she had actually come.  After not finding anyone that they really recognized or were comfortable with, they looked for the obscure acquaintance's body, not nearly as hard as finding the living.

They approached the casket, and Sarah peered in.  "His name was Mathias," she whispered.  "This was the only person whom I hated on sight."  She turned tail.  "I'm leaving."

Rindy's curiosity got the best of her, and she went to look inside the dark wooden box.  She gaped at the boy.  Like all corpses, it was pale and stiff.  Besides that, he was quite handsome.  He had a strong chin and nose.  His black hair was just long enough to curl at the ends.  Rindy was enchanted, but her awe was consumed with his pale lips.  She reached out tentatively, and just as her fingers brushed his lips, he gasped, warmth and hue flooding his face.  His bright green eyes flew open, and he shot into a sitting position.  Rindy fell to her butt, gawking at the reanimated corpse.  

Mathias hopped out of the casket and pulled Rindy into a hug, ignoring the people around them screaming and staring.  "Thank you," he whispered into her ear before he kissed her.

Rindy shoved him away.  "Sorry, I'm just not that into you anymore."  She spun around and walked calmly out of the church with Sarah trailing after her.

"What the…What just happened?" Sarah said hoarsely.

Rindy shrugged.  "He wasn't as attractive as when he was dead."

"What made him come back to life?" Sarah stuttered.

Another shrug.  "I just touched him.  I guess that's why you're not supposed to touch dead things."

Sarah dashed in front of her and stopped Rindy by the shoulders.  "Rindy, no one else can raise people from the dead.  If they could, the earth would be a lot more populated."

Rindy frowned, looking down.  "I'm not like everyone else, am I?"

Sarah shook her head, studying her familiar friend's face.  Out of the blue, she laughed.  "Of all the people you had to raise from the dead, you had to raise the one person I hated.  You're pretty fly, you know that?" she told her friend endearingly, hugging her.

Rindy smiled, comforted.  "Thanks."  She pushed away to look Sarah in the face.  "Are dead people usually hotter than the living?"

Sarah laughed with a disgusted face.  "Ew, Rindy, you're morbid."

Rindy pouted.  "I'm being serious."

Sarah shook her head again, still trying to wrap her sanity around what had happened.  "Let's just go get some ice cream."

© 2011 Kloverfield


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow this is really good i like this! :))) mind checking out some of my work? thanks :)))

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting and odd piece of writing. It could have spun into something more with being able to raise the dead, but it is fine as it is too. The character descriptions are nice, but the spoken words lack personality(I find this hard myself).

Oh, and people who have died just look like they are sleeping...:')

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 13, 2011
Last Updated on November 22, 2011
Tags: death, dead, hot, attractive, women

Author

Kloverfield
Kloverfield

ID



About
I am an avid dreamer, and the only thing between me and putting my dreams down on paper is having the time to write. I am dearly devoted to family, and most of my stories are about friendships. I am.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Kloverfield