Scarred for a  Lifetime

Scarred for a Lifetime

A Story by Blue
"

a news article

"

Scarred for a lifetime


 

Typhoon Yolanda paints an apocalyptic picture to a town once graced with nature's beauty and smiling citizens.

 

It was Nov. 8, 2013, Friday, when the typhoon struck Tapaz, Capiz in Panay Island, leaving behind stories of loss, devastated homes, and traumatized victims--not even sparing the most vulnerable citizens of the society.

 

These children should have been playing hide-and-seek instead of clearing away the roads with fallen trunks, toying with dolls or cars instead of collecting the remains of their properties, and laughing away the cares of the world instead of shouldering the uncertainties of the unknown.

 

Jane Galagate, a 5-year-old victim, witnessed the devastation of her humble home before she fled with her family to the safer confines of her uncle's house.

 

"Gaginutok kami sa dalum lamesa. Tam-an ka lamig. Gahilibi kami. (We were squeezed under the table. It was so cold. We were crying.)," she recalls as her watery eyes drift back to the unpleasant memory.

 

Together with his family, 10-year-old John Mark Gimeno was driven homeless and was forced to endure the ruthless sighs of the monster typhoon in a nearby gym for more than three hours.

 

"Ginpalid ang atop ka gym. Abi namon malumpag ang gym kag mapatay kami. (The roof of the gym was blown away. We thought the gym was going to collapse and we were going to die.)," says John Mark, whose face stiffened to conceal grief but his trembling voice reveals the crushed spirit within.

 

He further confesses that he still gets scared whenever the weather threatens to replay the tragedy.

 

"Wala ko gahibi kay hambal ni mama indi ako magpakulba. (I don’t  cry because my mother told me not to be afraid.)," adds John Mark.

 

Even acting chief of police Leomindo S. Tayopon, who have sheltered 10 families in the police station of Tapaz, Capiz, noticed the alarming behavoirs exhibited by the children.

 

He says, “Kung magsugod na gani kusog ka hangin kag ang kalangiton gadulom nga manug-ulan, gasala ang mga bata. (Whenever the wind starts to strengthen and the clouds darken to announce rain, the children get panicky.)”

 

Society has trained children to repress fears, to put on a facade of strength, and to deal with the tragedy like seasoned warriors.

 

As the town paves the way to recovery by providing the citizens with the help extended by the generous of hearts, these children victims plead that the help may go beyond the physical needs and may it also aid their psychological scars as well.


-------------------------------REVISED---------------------------------


 

Capiz children scared, scarred

E-mailPrintPDF

BY ARZEL JOY GERVACIO Typhoon Yolanda Story Hub Visayas

ROXAS City �" According to the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef), around five million Filipino children were affected by super typhoon “Yolanda.” In Capiz, Insp. LeomindoTayopon, police chief in Tapaz town, noticed the alarming behavior that children exhibited a month after the storm.

When the wind starts to strengthen and clouds darken to signify oncoming rain, the children get panicky,” Tayopon said in Hiligaynon.

The Tapaz police station served as shelter to 10 families after the typhoon, with several having gone back to rebuild their homes weeks after.

The United Nations called for “greater efforts to provide food and water” as children are faced with malnutrition, on top of the tragic memory of the monster howler.

Capiz, situated on the northeastern part of Panay Island, faces the Sibuyan Sea to the north, making it prone to the risks that come with typhoons such as “Yolanda.”

Jane Galagate is only one of the many children in Tapaz who fell victim to the super typhoon’s onslaught.

Instead of doing things children her age normally do, she joined several others in clearing the roads of fallen tree trunks.

She remembered seeing how their house was destroyed before her family fled to the safer confines of an uncle’s house.

“We were huddled under the table. It was very cold. We were crying,” five-year-old Jane recalled, her eyes welling with tears.

On the other hand, John Mark Gimeno was left homeless.

As “Yolanda” battered Tapaz, his family was forced to endure the ruthless blows of the typhoon for more than three hours while they sought refuge in a nearby gym.

Ginpalid ang atop ka gym. Abi namon marumpag ang gym kag mapatay kami (The gym’s roof was blown away. We thought the gym was going to collapse and we were all going to die),” said the 10-year-old, his voice trembling.

He said he still gets scared. Changes in the weather remind him of “Yolanda.”

I do not cry because my mother told me not to be nervous,” said John Mark in Hiligaynon.

Tapaz is on its way to recovery. Its children wish for help that will not only satisfy their physical needs but also aid in the healing of their psychological wounds.

***

(Typhoon Yolanda Story Hub Visayas is a Citizen Journalism Portal created on November 13, 2013 by veteran journalists, student writers, mobile journalists and photographers based in Iloilo City. The Story Hub tells the stories behind the stories when the typhoon lashed through Panay Island, severely damaging northern Iloilo and the provinces of Antique, Capiz, and Aklan.)/PN

© 2014 Blue


Author's Note

Blue
I'm not into newswriting but here's my attempt. I am sure that my inclination to write in a feature style is evident. :)

This was done during my journalism assignment in a group I volunteered to be a part of. I submitted this article and the editor did MAJOR editing. I was disappointed by the outcome but I think the editor knows better... Haha.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Writing new is hard. They want direct words and nothing else. Few reporters had transfer to great writers. A good writer write what she see and understand. I like how you wrote the story. You made the situation come alive with your words. Thank you for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


It definitely looks very professional while at the same time conveying an interesting albeit heartbreaking story. Poor kids *tear* It did a good job of delving into the PTSD many of them are struggling with

Posted 9 Years Ago


First off, I know nothing about journalism, so my opinion is just that, a layman's opinion. I thought the revised version was written in a professional way. it looks like many I've read in various papers.
having said that, the original vergion was very well written also but in a sentimental way (hard to avoid), done by a writer rather than a journalist. don't get me wrong, I love it and you picked a sad and interesting topic. children should not be subjected to such atrocities that life seems to enjoy dishing on them from time to time.
God, I hope you won't hate me for this review.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Blue, it looks quite professional to me and I think you did a fine job. You would have no trouble working for a newspaper.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014

Author

Blue
Blue

City of Love, Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
Hi, there! I don't know who I really am but let's start with my name. I am Arzel Joy, otherwise known as Blue here in WC. I have more pressing matters at hand so I have reduced my time spent on th.. more..

Writing
Please Tell Him Please Tell Him

A Poem by Blue


Sank, Saved Sank, Saved

A Poem by Blue


Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Blue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Oh, woman! Oh, woman!

A Poem by Blue