Go Time

Go Time

A Chapter by Serge Wlodarski

Hector instructed us to wait at the gate, per protocol.  Diego was on perimeter rounds.  When he got to the gate he had the dogs sniff through the car.  They were trained to detect weapons and explosives.  They didn’t find anything.  The tasers Jozefien hid after removing the guts of the radio were electronic devices, nothing the dogs would notice.  We drove up to the house when Hector waved us on.


Esteban searched the ladies’ purses and sent us through the metal detector.  We signed the guest register.  If things went according to plan, we would skip the step where guests sign out as they leave.  


The guard led us to the lobby, where Mrs. Rojas was waiting.  I noticed her giving Barbie a good looking over.  I had no doubt she was aware of her husband’s extracurricular activities.  We made small talk as she escorted us to the parlor on the second floor.


I introduced the girls to Mr. Rojas, and the other dinner guest, Javier Moreno.  Otherwise known as the Lumberjack.  When he wasn’t threatening people or breaking their bones, he was the boss’s personal bodyguard.  He was big enough to play linebacker in the NFL and was notoriously cruel.  Those were just the start of the problems his victims faced.  I’d been around when he used his Walther P99.  It would be the last thing you saw if he aimed the pistol in your direction.


In a fair fight, I would have no chance against the Lumberjack.  I would need a weapon, and the element of surprise.  That was why I brought a Fender Stratocaster with me.  I didn’t want to destroy a nice guitar when I bashed in the Lumberjack’s head, but it was the cost of doing business.


Many years ago, I learned to play guitar on the streets of Bogota.  When I moved to America I took flamenco lessons.  Mrs. Rojas is a music lover and I had entertained her before.  She raised her eyebrows as I carried in the electric guitar and the amplifier.  She was expecting me to bring my Alahambra Vilaplana, a custom made flamenco guitar.  It has a light, hollow body and was not suitable for skull bashing.  


I explained.  “My wrist is bothering me today.  The electric guitar will not have the same sweet tone as the Alahambra, but it is much easier to play.”


Jozefien struck up a conversation with Mrs. Rojas about gardening.  The property was spectacular and she was proud of it.  They left to make a tour of the grounds.  


That gave my wife a chance to check out the vegetation Barbie would use for cover, later in the evening, when she climbed down from the third floor.


I tuned my guitar and warmed up.  The girls sat at the table and made small talk with Mr. Rojas and the Lumberjack.  When Jozefien and Mrs. Rojas returned, my wife gave me a “yes” look.  The trees, shrubs, and masses of flowers would easily hide our petite gymnast. 


Mrs. Rojas applauded and gave me a hug after I finished my set.  The cook came out of the kitchen and announced that the meal was ready.  We filtered into the dining room.  


The food and the wine were fantastic and the girls and I made many toasts.  I wasn’t concerned about Mr. Rojas, he was an average sized 60 year old man.  But I wanted the Lumberjack to be drunk before I attempted to club him.  I’d seen how fast he could move when he was sober.  I wanted any advantage I could get. 


After dinner, we sorted out into various activities.  The men gravitated to poker, billiards and darts.  The ladies swapped in and out with the guys and did plenty of girl talk in the parlor.  The alcohol continued to flow.


At ten o’clock Mrs. Rojas excused herself and went to bed.  I glanced at Jozefien and she gave me a slight nod.  It was up to her to initiate the plan.  


She had already taken money off of the Lumberjack at poker, then lost most of it back to him at darts.  They decided on a “best two out of three” billiards match to break the tie.


Jozefien’s luck ran out when the eight ball rattled out of the pocket in the last game.  Moreno made a simple cut shot to take the rest of her money.  She sat on the couch. A few minutes later, she put her head on her knees.  “I think I’m getting a migraine.  I’m seeing double.”  That was the signal.


Barbie said, “When she gets like this she needs to lie down and rest for a while.  I should take her to one of the guest rooms.  Rojas pointed to the west end of the house and said, “Use any of the rooms on that end of the third floor.”


Rojas pushed the intercom button and spoke to Luis, the guard at the third floor elevator.  It could not be operated from the first or second floor without a key, or unless Luis sent it.  


The door opened and Barbie guided Jozefien into the elevator.  My wife made a point to walk slowly and keep her hand over her eyes.  I even detected a note of sympathy in the Lumberjack’s voice when he said, “Hope you feel better.”  The ruse was working as desired.



© 2017 Serge Wlodarski


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017


Author

Serge Wlodarski
Serge Wlodarski

About
Just a writer dude. Read it, tell me if you like it or not. Either way is cool. more..

Writing