Just Another Day

Just Another Day

A Chapter by Simonas Majauskas
"

I'm sorry, I'm not writing the story in the description. The story's in the Chapter...

"

Life is boring, huh? Maybe. Definitely not for me. My life is full of vampires, ghouls, zombies, demons and many more mythical beasts, which aren’t so mythical when you think about it, but most importantly �" werewolves. Let’s start from the very beginning, shall we?

 

A usual day for me consisted of going to school, hanging out with my friends, mainly Eve and Arthur, going home with them, beat up a bunch of thugs who tried to do the same to me and failed miserably every time, went home proper, made dinner for my sister Ruth, then scoured the old net for info about our past. My name’s Ignatius, and I want to find out what happened to our world to make it into what it is now. However, everything changed one very faithful day. Or three of them.

 

Another usual day, the same band of thugs. About 15 of them, I would think. I lean back slightly with a grin on my face, as if taunting them.

 

“You guys again? You know, it’s starting to get annoying.” I scratch my chin. “Not to mention damn boring.” I crack my knuckles, my every movement openly taunting each and every one of the musclebound steroid addicts. Seriously, their fists are bigger than their heads! Not to mention their brain power. They were no smarter than the stones they threw. On second thought, I take that back �" that was an insult to the stone. And so dependent on their leader �" the biggest musclebound idiot you could ever meet �" if he goes down, the rest scatter without a sign of them ever being there. Well, except for the others I had knocked out at that point.

 

“Wouldn’t count on it.” The leader replies with a smirk on his face. “There’s more of us than you think, boy.” As usual �" all bark and no bite. Oh well, the more, the better.

 

“You counting the collective smell or the trio hanging out behind that bush over there?” I point behind me. You didn’t have to be perceptive much to know where they were and I could see that trio as I walked here, knowing full well I was going into an ambush. I was surprised they had the brain cells to rub together to think of this. However, the smell was no understatement. Imagine the smell of 18 thugs after a hard day of working their upper bodies at the gym (What’s leg day? That’s the question you could ask when you saw them.), add the fact that they either don’t know they have a mystical thing called a shower in their homes or how to use it, since they don’t seem like having showered for at least a month or two and tried covering it up with cheap cologne.

 

“What…” The ringleader seems to be dumbfounded at a possibility his ‘ambush’ didn’t go through properly. “Never mind! Get him!” He shouts at the top of his lungs and dashes towards me first, with the others soon behind him.

 

I’m pretty sure there are things more intimidating than 15 thugs charging full speed at you, some stumbling down on the way, but in regards of laughable, it’s pretty up there.

 

“Do you even know what ‘leg day’ is?” I taunt them as I show them a good example. I jump upwards, land on the leaders head and jump off of him, then kick off another thug harder and force him to fall flat on his face. “One down.” I laugh as I land on the ground. Somehow, I feel peculiar, as if I was supposed to wear red overalls or something. I shake it off quickly as I have to duck down to dodge about five punches aimed at my face. I can’t help but chuckle as two more thugs fall down, having knocked each other out, then I proceed to uppercut another one as I stand properly, one other receiving a hard jab to the face. That makes 5 down, and the 6th falls with a good hard kick to the stomach.

 

Something about the fight bothers me, as if I’m forgetting something. I’m quickly reminded with a rock thrown at my shin, forcing me to collapse on the ground. This day gets more and more surprising as it goes �" the whole rock is covered in barbed wire. It’s in pretty deep �" the thugs do have good throwing skills, I’ll give them that. I forcefully pull it out, letting out a loud groan of pain as I do. Standing up, I feel slightly dizzy, but continue fighting nonetheless.

 

“That’s just plain dirty.” I laugh as I throw the same rock at the ringleader, but the dizziness causes me to miss. Nevertheless, I then focus on the other thugs swarming me. With 6 of them out and the three new ones, I have 11 to beat down. Odds aren’t in my favor. Just the way I like it, I think to myself before bashing two heads together, leaving 9 without the boss.

 

With that, my achievements end and the dizziness grows stronger. I barely manage to deflect an oncoming punch, retaliate with a glancing blow before falling back to my knees and start getting beat down by the remaining group of thugs. I was within an inch to losing my consciousness when everyone heard a howl. Eve..? It couldn’t be �" she didn’t follow me, did she? Anyway, she jumps down in her wolf form and cuts the leader deeply, the rest shriek like little girls and run away at the new threat.

 

My vision slowly starts fading as Eve turns back to human form and ducks beside me. “I warned you, didn’t I? They have more tricks up their sleeves than you might think!” She sighs, and it’s obvious she’s worried.

 

“Well, sorry… I forgot that fighting in a fun way means nothing to them.”

 

“You should’ve learned from Arthur �" winning is everything.” She sighs again and checks my wounds. I was beat pretty bad, I feel some internal bleeding happening in my body. So does she. She starts healing my body, every little inch of it. I’m not used to being taken care of, so this is really surprising to me.

 

“Why..?” I utter out before she hushes me.

 

“Shut up and let me get you back on your feet.” I close my mouth and let her work her magic. Literally. A little while later, my body’s completely healed and I sit up. “There.” Eve’s warm smile is the first thing I see when my vision refocuses.

 

“Thanks…” Is all I manage to say before she falls towards me slightly and I catch her, pulling her up with me as I stand up. “You alright..?” I ask, worried about her now. Why did she overdo it? I mean, I’ve never felt better, but she’s completely spent!

 

“Fine, just need a quick rest.” Eve’s smile is reassuring, but weak. I don’t want to bet she’ll manage to get home on her own. On top of that, she’s not telling me something. I think.

 

My thoughts and my hold on her are broken as I start coughing violently, spitting out some blood along the way. When I see my own blood on the ground, I jump back, surprised.

 

“Holy…”

 

“I knew it! They had you poisoned!” Eve is now clearly extremely worried.

 

“How bad..?” I ask her, not wanting to know the answer, but knowing that my life could be riding on it on the other hand.

 

“2 hours tops.” She looks down. “Unless you take me up on my old offer.”

 

I cough again, this time not as rough. “Fine, fine, I’ll do it. Make me into a werewolf, then.” I sigh, knowing that my fate is locked now.

 

“Not yet. I’m too tired for that.” She says.

 

“Well, then. Your place or mine?” I ask as I see that she can barely walk, then get in front of her and pick her up, holding her by her legs.

 

“Mine. Consider this an invitation.” She teases.

 

“Why thank you, milady. When did I need one?” I chuckle as I make sure she’s holding on tight and take a running start.

 

“Well, you do need one now, since we’re turning into responsible adults.”

 

“Oh, right, I forgot about that. You consider yourself an adult at 18, do you?” I laugh as I run into the forest.

 

“You don’t?” She asks, surprise in her voice.

 

“Ruth’s 20, she depends on me in every single way possible.” I chuckle.

 

“But Ruth is Ruth, she’s just like that.” Eve chuckles.

 

“Well, whatever.” I smile as she leans on me further. “I ought to get to your place in about 15 minutes.”

 

“Aren’t you fast, Nat.” She teases.

 

“Only on foot.” I tease back.

 

She chuckles and leans on me further, my vision starts getting covered by two mounds. “Would you kindly stop leaning on me so much?” I ask.

 

“What, you don’t like it?” She mutters innocently. Such a tease, that girl. She’s of average height, very athletic, has a long brown ponytail and yellowish-green eyes. Her athletic body doesn’t stop her from being quite curvaceous, as proved by her clouding my vision. “You’re so warm…” She moans jokingly and I can’t help but blush slightly.

 

“Will you stop? Do you want me to get you hit by a branch? I can barely see what’s going in your height!” I say and she pulls back, pouting.

 

“You’re no fun.”

 

“Would you be any fun if you were dying?”

 

“Point.”

 

“We’re almost there, you can nap when you’re home. Just… make sure I don’t die, okay?” I ask her.

 

“Count on it, Nat.” She smiles and pats my head.



© 2015 Simonas Majauskas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on January 23, 2015
Last Updated on January 23, 2015


Author

Simonas Majauskas
Simonas Majauskas

Vilnius, Lithuania



About
An amateur writer, 19 years of age. I usually avoid reality as much as possible and try to explore what-if scenarios. For example - what if the world as we know it evolved thaumaturgically instead of .. more..

Writing