The Virtue of Patience and Silence

The Virtue of Patience and Silence

A Chapter by ShadowWolf
"

The first of many lessons

"
Over the course of the next year there were many visits, some only a few days and then there were those that lasted a week or two. Very often an uncle or aunt (my mother had six brothers and five sisters) would drive over to Waynesville to visit cousins and I would always beg a ride to Uncle Karl's which was not too far out of the way. Uncle Karl and Aunt Helga were always welcoming of company even if it was only a boy. Though they were "family" I always tried to earn my keep by helping with whatever needed doing, that's just the way I was brought up. (An old Southern expression, "earn your keep", one was supposed to help in some way so one was never a burden to those one visited.)

There were always "made-up" chores and little things that needed doing and usually took very little time or effort. Often Luc would come to help so we could finish quicker and be off on another adventure. No matter what the chore I would always go to Aunt Helga just to tell her I was done and ask if there was anything else I could do. It never failed that I would always get a big smile and a "shoo, go play!"

The rest of those days were spent roaming the forest and playing in the streams. Like all boys of that age Luc was quick to show his superior knowledge of the forest, the animals and birds. At first I thought it was because he lived there and, too, that he was an Indian.

We played, we swam, we fished, all the things boys do. Then there was a game we played, a sort of "hide and seek" except there were only the two of us. There was no simple count to a hundred to begin, oh no, it was a wait until a particular bird sang out or a squirrel began to chatter. The only rule was no "peeking", no trying to see which direction the other headed.

Our games always began with me hiding first. It soon became obvious why Luc insisted on that... it never took him long to find me. No matter which direction I went or how fast I ran or how far away, he always found me within a few short minutes. Then it would be his turn to hide. I would search and search and, most often, only find him when he wanted. It was quite frustrating for me not to be able to match his skill at hiding.

One afternoon as we sat under a big tree next to Luc�s house eating the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which was my favorite and Luc�s too, I had brought he suggested that we play our game when we finished. Luc�s Grandfather was sitting in his usual spot on the bench by the front door must have overheard me sort of complaining about waiting so long to begin and then having such a hard time in finding Luc.

After we finished eating and got up to leave Grandfather said he would join us in our game. As we walked thru the woods to our favorite spot I wondered why he wanted to play our silly game. Ten or so minutes later we arrived at our little spot close to the edge of a little stream.

The entire time, Grandfather had walked quietly along saying nothing but just as we got there Grandfather told Luc that he should be the one to hide first and that he and I would come find him. I wondered if I would ever find Luc this time because I wasn�t so sure this old man would be much help.

He and I sat down facing the stream and Luc left without a sound. Still shy and more than a little hesitant around any adult I said nothing as we sat waiting for the "sign" to begin the game. Long, long minutes seemed to drag by as I squirmed with impatience. Grandfather sat stoically, unmoving. I did not understand how anyone could sit so still, so quietly, when there was a game to be played.

I remember glancing at this weathered old man who sat beside me, seeing his eyes closed as if he were asleep and wondering if it was because he was old or that the game held no true interest. As I watched I saw just a hint of a smile begin to grow on that wrinkled old face. Then, so softly, he asked "who is smarter? You or the squirrels and birds?"

What a silly question I thought, but I certainly wasn't going to tell him that! Of course I was because I was human and they were nothing but animals.

"Me" I answered without hesitation.

The smile grew bigger and bigger as he sat so still and quiet. From that thin old chest came a soft rumbling chuckle that, at first, I thought was laughter at me but then I remembered our first
meeting and how this wonderful old man had made me feel so comfortable. Wise in the ways of
small boys he knew he had to explain.

"When the world was new, Squirrel spent his days running and climbing the many trees of the forest. He had no worries, no cares for Mother Nature provided for all his needs: the shelter of trees to live and play and a bountiful supply of nuts and berries. Young and full of life he loved to play and let nothing stop him from having a good time.

One bright and sunny day in late summer as Squirrel scampered from limb to limb way up in the top of a big hickory tree near the stream he saw far below a briar patch of blackberry. Now blackberry was his favorite among all the berries that grew in the mountains.

Fast as he could, without thought, he ran down the tree to the ground and to the blackberry patch. The berries were so ripe and thick the weight bent each briar down close to the ground. Immediately he began stuffing his cheeks with ripe juicy blackberries until his whiskers were bright purple.

Bobcat, who had been hiding under the briars in hopes some foolish creature would be drawn to the ripe berries and be his next meal, watched as Squirrel greedily ate. Creeping forward without a sound, he crouched ready to spring.

Suddenly he sprang out. Terrified Squirrel turned and ran as fast as he could to the hickory tree. Close behind Bobcat chased him up the tree. Stretching out one paw, he took a swipe just as Squirrel leaped from trunk to limb. His claws caught in the thick bushy tail and gave a hard yank. Off came the thick busy tail as Squirrel leaped away.

Safely high up where Bobcat could not come, Squirrel sat bemoaning that his tail was gone.
"How can I be a squirrel with no bushy tail to help me balance� he cried. Long he sat wondering what to do until Blue Jay landed close by.

"Ach, no tail! No tail, no squirrel!" Blue Jay said.

"What am I to do?" Squirrel cried "what am I to do?"

"Why ask Mother Nature, of course! That's the thing to do!"

"A perfect idea! Thank you!" Squirrel called out as he dashed away.

So off he went to the top of the highest mountain where Mother Nature lived. Days and days he traveled from tree to tree until he finally reached Her home. Sitting on the ground at Her feet Squirrel pleaded for help.

"Yes" Mother Nature said "I can make your tail grow back but you must do something in return. You must help the Bird by watching the forest too and warning the other animals when danger comes. You must immediately stop your chatter, be still and quiet just like Bird stops his song then all the others will know danger is near. You must wait until you are sure the danger is past. If you do not wait and the danger has not passed some creature may come to harm."

"I can do that" Squirrel said "but how will I let them know it is safe to come out?"

Mother Nature smiled and warm sunlight covered the forest, "why then you can begin to chatter and play again and all those who hear you will know the danger is gone."

In the days that followed Squirrel was tested many times. Each time he stopped his chatter, his play and kept very still and quiet, but, oh it was hard for him to do. He never wanted to stop playing and having fun but he knew he must because he had made his promise to Mother Nature so he could have a new tail. He learned to wait and be patient until the danger was gone."

When Grandfather stopped speaking, he remained silent, unmoving. Then I understood his question, yes, I was smarter than the Squirrel and Bird but I had to learn to be still, quiet and out-wait them, to make them believe the "danger had passed."

It didn't take long before the birds began to sing again and the squirrels to scamper from limb to limb chattering like magpies. The game began and off we went in search of Luc.

(Now the next time you are out in the world and see a squirrel, stop and watch him for a few minutes. If you are still and quiet perhaps you will see Squirrel stop and look around, searching for danger and when he does not find any he will lift up his tail and wave it around as if to say "look, look at this beautiful new tail Mother Nature has given me.)

This was the first of many lessons in patience I learned from Grandfather and Luc. For the Native American, the virtue of patience and silence was a necessity for survival. This virtue of patience is based on the belief that all things will unfold in their own time.


© 2008 ShadowWolf


Author's Note

ShadowWolf
For the Native American, the virtue of patience and silence was a necessity for survival. This virtue of patience is based on the belief that all things will unfold in their own time.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have put upon my face a very wide smile.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a wonderful story; what a wonderful lesson.
So few people today know what it's like to sit in a thick forest, patiently, quietly, listening to the birds and the animals. It is an experience like nothing else in the world.
With Shadow Wolf's latest story, I'm there again as in childhood.
Thanks my friend.
J Russell Rose

Posted 15 Years Ago


patience would be something we all need...
thank you for sharing you lessons with us

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2008


Author

ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf

Dallas, TX



About
An "old man", not by choice in the sense of years since I am five years older than dirt and two years older than baseball. Age is simply a state of mind and that being the case then my mind tells me I.. more..

Writing