The Pulse of Life

The Pulse of Life

A Chapter by BodilessSoul

    Everything has a pulse.  My body, your body, those bodies walking down the street in a tight knit group, the cars speeding by, and even the buildings that surround us have one.  Usually, no one can see them because no one really cares to notice.  But I do.  I'm special.

 

***

 

    The light reflected off the glass, throwing rays of color over the garden and over her eyes for a moment as she peered at the lone sunflower.  She was a small child with fair brown hair that had an innocent curl and blue unpolluted eyes that were full of pure wonder as they examined the flower.  She was fascinated by the blue rings that surrounded the plant, more entranced by this than the actual specimen.

 

    As she poked the sunflower the rings moved outward, making her giggle with joy.  She probbed the flower some more, causing the rings to move faster and farther out.  Footsteps came from behind the little girl buyt she was too wrapped up by the rings to notice the slender woman walking towards her from the sliding glass door.  The woman bent down until she was at eye level with the child.  Grinning in a serene and gentle way, the woman pushed back her fair blonde hair from her eyes- eyes that perfectly matched the little girl's.  She wrapped her arms around the girl and pulled her into her lap.

 

"Do you like the garden, Summer?"  The woman asked as she hugged the distracted child.  Summer nodded, reaching out for the sunflower.  The woman, seeing Summer's eager eyes, grabbed the flower and broke it off from the rest of the plant.  She smiled and handed it to Summer.  Suddenly, the rings were gone and so was Summer's fascination.

 

"Mommy, where're the rings?"  She said, puzzled as she poked the flower.  Her mother looked down at her, her eyes unreadable.

 

"What rings, honey?"  She asked uneasily.  Summer frowned.

 

"The flower's.  The rings that were around the flower, like yours and daddy's," Summer rambled on, aggrivated.

 

"Oh, those.  How about we keep those a secret, just between you and I?"  Her mother suggested, putting the sunflower in Summer's hair.

 

"But why?" Summer whined, her eyebrows furrowed and lips pouting.

 

"Because some people won't understand," her mother replied with a troubled frown.

 

"But why?"

 

"Because some people can't see those rings and what they don't see, they don't believe, honey," her mother explained as she kissed Summer's head tenderly.  Summer's frown deepened.

 

"That's stupid," she grumbled.

 

"Yeah, it is," her mother agreed with a chuckle before scooping Summer up.  As she walked with Summer cradled in one arm and into the colonial house she called home, the sunflower slipped from Summer's fair hair and fell gently to the ground and caught Summer's attention one last time as it landed, giving off a single ring of blue.

 

 



© 2009 BodilessSoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's really great so far L! you've got two great stories at hand here!!!! smiley face!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on July 11, 2009
Last Updated on July 30, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

BodilessSoul
BodilessSoul

LarlarLand, FL



About
Hello All! I am an aspired writer but I don't think I'm that great. I have many ideas but I have a lot to learn about techniques and all that jazz! I love literature and also acting. I love theatr.. more..

Writing