Kira

Kira

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

Sani reveals her past to Mikami hoping to save him from Near's plot to catch Kira. In present time, Stephan, Kiara and Mogi are in Alexandria Egypt looking for another death note.

"

Earlier that day Sani and Kiara were shopping when she ran into him. He was coming out of the bank; he always goes to the bank on the 25th of the month unless it is a Sunday. In his safe deposit box he had stored the real death note and wrote down the names of a month’s worth of criminals. The death note he carried on him was a fake; Light wanted Near to believe he didn’t have the real one. When Near wanted to meet face-to-face with Light on the 28th, he knew Light would have Teru write down everyone’s names but Kira’s with the real death note. Teru went to the bank on the 25th and the 26th this month and Stephan who was tailing him found this odd. On the 26th, Kiyomi Takada was kidnapped and Teru took it upon himself to kill her for Light-without his permission or knowledge. Knowing the location of the real death note, Stephan made an identical copy that night and left the fake one in Teru’s safe deposit box while giving the real one to Near. Mikami didn’t even know Stephan had tampered with it even after examining it again and again with a microscope.

             Sani invites him in. He removes his shoes and walks towards the couch waiting for her to decide where they will sit down and talk. She motions him to sit down on the loveseat while she sits down on the three-seater. She offers him some red wine but he turns down the offer and asks for tea instead. They stay silent for a few minutes wanting to say much but not knowing how to say it. He silence is broken when Sachiko comes to the living room with concern and says,

“Sani, why are their two older boys sleeping in Kiara’s room?” Teru looks at her face and sees the name Sachiko Yagami above her head.

“Auntie, they’re her brothers. You don’t have to worry about any funny business. They’ll be gone in the morning.” She says with a smile.

“Ok, just making sure you know because she is at the age now where boys like to sneak into girl’s rooms at night. I’ll tell them to sleep in the guest room, anyways.” She kisses her goodnight on the forehead and heads upstairs. Teru strokes his temples with his pointer and middle fingers and laughs to himself.

“What’s so funny?”

“See, I told you all those years ago that she’d be a handful. You still haven’t changed...your aunt is still raising your child.”

“And you continue to judge me without knowing my situation, my family, my past. You always shared yours but you never asked me about mine. Honestly I never wanted to talk about it, but now I really need to.”

“Well, I’m here. You said you wanted to talk.” He leans forward and stares her straight in the eyes with open ears. She takes a deep breath.

 “I was lucky that my father’s side of the family even accepted me when my father denied me. I grew up in an orphanage my paternal grandfather owned, but he was gone most of the time since he ran so many of them. My family was orphans like I; Kiara’s father, those two boys upstairs, friends I grew up with and other orphans I helped raise as a teenager.

I was lucky my mother’s brother, Soichiro let me stay with his family and his wife helped raise Kiara while I was in school…I was lucky that the same orphanage that raised me helped raise her too. Sachiko and my children are all I have left and I, her children and mine are all she has left. So many of our loved ones have died: murdered, committed suicide or are just mentally not there anymore because of the lives we live, the jobs we have, the duties we want to fulfill…we all put ourselves in harm’s way believing that we can better the world by being cops and investigators and lawyers...” She walks over to Teru. She sits next to him and takes his hands. “I know Kira, Teru. Your God is nothing more than a man with too much power, too much smarts and too much ambition.” She holds his hands tight and doesn’t take her eyes off his. He smiles and his eyes light up at a thought,

“You know God?! Do you not see that we were meant to meet today? He brought us together after all these years. Kira has given me his gift. Soon, everyone will be out of his way, including L and his “SPK” agents. They will all die in a couple days and I will play my part. Please, Sani we can help Kira build a better future together. Don’t you want Kiara to grow up in a world that’s at peace? Don’t let your loved ones die in vain either. Delete those make this world rotten.” Sani lets go of his hands and puts hers on his face.

“Teru, Kira killed them-my grandfather, my fiancé, my uncle, my friends…my cousin; he killed those who trusted him with their lives, people who loved him, people who fought the same fight he did. Kira is a murderer, a serial killer, a manipulator-a corrupted soul. I know I fueled your emotions towards Kira and encouraged you to get his attention, but I don’t want you to die believing in a man who’s a walking contradiction. If I can’t save him I at least want to save you.” Teru turns his face away from her and removes her hands.

“The 28th will be judgment day. If Kira prevails then he is righteous. If he fails then…” She pulls his chin to make his face-face hers, but he stands up and begins to walk around the room. His voice becomes manic as he rants.

“No, Kira will not cease to amaze. Evil will be deleted for I will carry out his will; the world will be a place where people with pure hearts will live a life of peace and anyone who disturbs that peace will pay the price to keep it-death. Kira is the real God- for God has the power to take away the life of a person he so chooses if he sees it as a threat to the lives of the innocent.” With crazy eyes he looks at Sani. “Do you not see, Sani? Those who try to capture God and his power are a threat and they will fail because God is supreme! They all will be deleted. I suggest you don’t follow down the path your relatives have taken…”

            His voice calms down as his attention is drawn to a photo of a young boy with Sani and an older girl that sits in a frame on the mantle of the fireplace.

“Who’s the boy in the picture?” He says as he sees himself at that age.

“My, son.” She replies slowly trying to figure out why his demeanor changed so suddenly. With his shinigami eyes, he sees the name Taro Yagami above the boys head and Kiara Lawliet above the girl’s. He looks back at Sani to see the name Sani Wammy above hers. Despite looking like him he doubts that the boy is his son. But he asks anyways,

“I see. Is he my son?” He picks up the picture frame.

 

“Does he look like you?” She folds her arms and crosses her legs.

“So, there was someone else.” He sets it back down.

“If that’s what you want to believe.”

“How old is he?”

“He will turn three in a few months.” She gets up and walks over to the window beside the front door.

“Ah, so that’s it. You were pregnant then. But I still feel the same. I have no intensions on raising any children.” Teru walks to the door and opens it slowly, “So which is it, Yagami, Lawliet, Wammy or something else? What is your real name?” By the time he is done finishing his questions he is outside and Sani is at the door.

“Lawliet.” She slams the door in his face. Yet again, they leave their conversation off on a bad note, but they did say all they wanted to say even if the truth wasn’t accepted.

            Teru walks down the street to his apartment building. Ryuk is following behind him. Ryuk recognizes Sani as the girl in a picture that Light had on his desk when they first met, but he doesn’t inform Teru. Ryuk knows that the 28th will be an interesting day when all the player meet face-to-face. He hopes Light will prevail to ease his boredom longer.

“Tell me, Shinigami, for women what last name do I see; maiden or married?”

“Whatever last name they accept. If they are married or widowed, they can choose their birth last name or their spouses’. Engaged or single it is their legal last name. For children and men, it is their legal last name.”

            He thinks to himself: Sani Wammy. Yagami must be her maiden last name from her mother and Lawliet must be the last name of her dead fiancé. That would mean that she engaged or married to a man with the last name Wammy who could be Taro’s father-the man she cheated on him with. With the possibility of her being unfaithful, Mikami isn’t sure what to believe. But, he doesn’t know what her father’s last name was which could be Wammy making Taro his son. No matter- she knew that he didn’t want to have a child and doesn’t plan on making him a part of his life and if Taro is his son he can blame Sani for Taro not having his father around since she kept him a secret.     

            He heads back to his empty apartment and changes into a t-shirt and pajama pants. He goes to his closet where he takes out an old shoebox filled with pictures and things from a time when Sani and Teru were together and things she sent him after they broke up. He stares at a picture of Sani looking at a sunset on the beach from 2009. Looking closely at it, the wind blowing against her body is making her dress reveal a slight baby bump. In 2010, she sent him a postcard that had baby foot prints on it with a date and time but no name. He digs deeper into the box to find a picture of Kiara on her first day of middle school that Sani sent him in 2011. Sayu, Light and Sani are in the picture with her. The last thing he takes out is a screenshot of Teru on TV at a Kira debate in which Kiyomi Takada was a judge.


He found it to be no surprise that Kira also granted her the power being a fellow Kira worshiper. He thought about dating her but Light beat him to it; he actually heard "God's" voice for the first time when Takada and Light were getting reacquainted-well tried to but he was under surveillance willingly.

Light always had something set up in his favor. At this meeting with Kiyomi, he convinced the team to let him try to convince her to help them catch Kira, but what he was really doing is setting up meeting in which he could give his commands to her and Mikami. Teru puts the photos back into the shoebox, checks the death note for tampering then goes to bed.

            2020.In the city of Alexandria, Egypt Stephan meets up with Kiara and Mogi after confirming that Lucca and Taro arrived at headquarters safely. The city of Alexandria is the second largest city in Egypt and an important port city handling a major amount of Egypt’s imports and exports. Industrially, they harbor natural gas and oil pipelines from Suez to be passed onto Cairo, the capital of Egypt. Founded by Alexander the Great of Macedon Greece thousands of years ago and home to the Library of Alexandria, one of the seven wonders of the Middle Ages and one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, The Necropolis and the Lighthouse of Alexandria, this city has a long history rich in conflict, wealth, controversy, art and architecture making it a must-see tourist destination. Just like with San Paolo, Cancun and Sydney with so many people coming and going it will be difficult to track down who has the death note. However, unlike the previous investigations, the presence of the death note is well known and centralized around one group of people-the city’s government. The crusades through Africa started here and are expanding their reach further every day.

            Kiara contacts one of her childhood friends from Wammy’s House that works at the main port on an oil rig. Kimi Kahlo has witnessed some of her co-workers go missing or killed in freak accidents. Many of their export ships of oil have been delayed or stopped due to the deaths. Not only has the export of oil gone down in Egypt but also in other countries who export much oil.

“At first, it looked like the Egyptian government wanted to wipe out the competition with the crusades through Africa and the recent invasion of the Middle East, but it seems whoever has this death note wants to kill anyone in the oil trading business-workers and government officials included.” Kimi hands Stephan a list of names she gathered of people who have been killed so far and those who maybe next.

“The names that aren’t crossed off are the top people in the oil, natural gas, coal, mining, and lumber industries in many countries, including Egypt. Why kill the workers and government officials and not the heads?” Stephan wonders.

“The governments are allowing the exploitation of natural resources while the workers are enabling the transportation.” She explains.

“Easier to make the heads back down with the threat of being killed next,” Mogi concludes.

“Allowing Egypt to advance with their plan. So whoever has the death note is letting part of the government build an African army to reform the Middle East while also allowing that part of the government prevent the exportation and extraction of natural resources abroad,”

“And they believe that they will wipe out all the competition and take over the Middle East and Africa.” A man overhears their conversation. He has a toothpick in his mouth and a cigarette behind his ear, black hair with sideburns, a maroon button-up shirt that mostly unbuttoned exposing his cleanly shaven chest, tight light brown pants, dark brown sandals and fiery brown eyes. He lights his cigarette.

“Sah Rava, this is my friend Kiara and her teammates, Mogi and Stephan. L sent them to find the death note here. Everyone, this is my boyfriend. He’s been helping me gather information. He was on one of the ships that blew up and survived.”

“Yeah, so if anyone asks about me, I am dead, got it.” He points his lit cigarette at Stephan in his personal face space.

“Got it.” He snatches his cigarette and tosses it into the harbor. “And I just saved your life, again. Three strikes and you’re out.”

“Don’t you know cats have nine lives?” He takes out another cigarette and put it behind his ear.

“Well, let’s head to my place and we can look into the people whose names are not crossed out: Kira may be one of them.” Kimi clocks out for the day early.

            At her home, she changes into more comfortable clothes and by comfortable for the dry heat of Egypt means a black see-through dress with her lingerie completely visible and a matching headdress with gold trimming.

“For a moment there I thought you were Muslim but that is far from trying to cover yourself up.” Mogi states.

“I am Muslim, just not traditional. I’ll cover up in public but it’s too hot in my home to wear the ‘proper attire’ all day. Besides, Sah needs a little eye candy sometimes.” She says as she bends behind Sah and rubs his chest as he uses her chest as a headrest.

“Anyway, I was looking into the names on this list and one caught my attention; Isiah King. I kept digging into his records but something isn’t right, they seem forged. It says he is the executive head of the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, but when I look for the name of the previous one it is a different one, Darius Ptolemy and it says he is still in office. I can’t find a picture of either anywhere which is understandable, but both names also appear on the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency website as top-ranking officials.” Kiara tells them.

“Interesting…so whoever these people are control both aspects of dealing with the environment and the profits from it. They may be a good starting point if this Kira is working closely with them. We just need to find out if one or both is using an alias or not and if they are who they says they are, because they may be the same person.” Stephan looks at a map to figure out where the chamber of commerce is but Sah throws his lit cigarette on it and it catches on fire.

“See, that’s when you get caught. You need to stumble upon the place and make up a plan as you go. This is one of the most highly guarded buildings in the city; you have to go there with no intentions-nothing to give yourself away.” Sah gets off the couch, put his sandals back on and heads to the door as Stephan stomps out the fire. “Follow me, amateurs.” Kimi giggles at them as she changes into a black and yellow silk robe that matches her hair and ties it close with a gold belt. She lets her hair hang loosely down under her headdress that she uses to cover her face all but her eyes. Mogi and Stephan stare at each other not sure if they should follow him of ditch him, but Kimi and Kiara drag them out the house telling them to cover their faces.

            As they walk through the streets they feel anything but safe. The people openly carry huge firearms and ride through the streets in packs; males of all ages above six. Women, girls and younger boys hide inside their houses most of the day while some brave ones will venture to the market to get food and the mall to stock up on supplies. Kiara walk between Mogi and Stephan while Kimi is sandwiched between Stephan and Sah. They avoid open areas to dodge gunfire that might break out as the evening progresses. Since the death notes are with Stephan, Belphagor hangs around him so he can spot a shinigami when he sees one. Not before long, he finds himself hiding behind a building; peaking around it to see a shinigami walking among a crowd of people that can’t see it. He doesn’t recognize the shinigami, but he knows she is looking for something. She heads inside a museum that is closed for the day and Belphagor follows her. Inside she examines a case of jewelry from an ancient Egyptian queen, Neferatari.  She was the main spouse of Ramses II or Ramses the Great who in popular culture is believed to be the pharaoh Moses freed the Israelites from.

She reaches into the glass case and removes her crown and places it on her head but being too heavy she puts it back and grabs her gold royal necklace instead which has some weight to it too. She lets out a laugh-one that sounds very goofy- not like a shinigami snicker. Belphagor doesn’t know what type of human style she is going for because most of her clothes and jewelry she is wearing is more Asian inspired than Egyptian. He also thinks that he’s been in the human world too long to start thinking about such things. She leaves the museum when she hears a human approaching with a flashlight looking for the light switch-she hates bright places. She flies to the roof and over the city back to her companion. Belphagor follows her by flying along the ground as Stephan and the rest try to keep up by foot on the rooftops in an older part of the city where houses are still no more than two or three stories.

            The shinigami leads them to a nice house in a middle class neighborhood. A gate surrounds the property but there is no one guarding the residence. Stephan instructs Kiara and Mogi to wait outside at the front and back entrances while he heads inside with Sah and Kimi. Belphagor looks in one of the windows to the living room with Stephan. Inside, the shinigami shows the necklace to the man who places his hand on her face and tells her,
“It looks beautiful on you. Soon, we can find all the metal accessories you want once we have control over Africa and the Middle East. Soon, the countries with too much power will destroy each other and we will be all that’s left-Africa, Middle East, South America and small islands everywhere. We will create a new world-a new world order where we won’t have to fight to get what we want but work together to keep what we need.” He rubs the death note, opens it and begins to write down names. Seeing this, Stephan, Kimi and Sah barge in. Stephan draws out the death note, while Kimi pulls a gun from its holder on her leg and Sah draws a sword its sheath on his back. The shinigami looks at them and has her death note ready seeing that all of their names and lifespans are visible above their heads.

“Drop the death note and come quietly so no one has to die here.” Stephan demands. The man holds us a poison dart at Kimi and Sah.

“I bet my reflexes are faster than yours. Tell me, how long does it take for a person to die from snake poisoning…of course that depends on how venomous the snake is and how much it injects.”

            Daril Ghiroza is a rank three shinigami who is highly intelligent and loves to kill. She enjoys gambling and admires the many jewelry pieces Armonia Justin Beyondormason-rank two shinigami- adorns his body with. Initially having little interest in the human world, she becomes curious as more shinigami go there. When she arrived, she was attracted to Egypt for the ancient wonders it possesses that remind her of Justin’s appearance. Finding a human who is a collector of rare ancient artifacts- many being made of metals, she decides to give him the death note in exchange for all his metal accessories to bring some back to Justin so she can use his jewels to make unique accessories. When she does, Justin doesn’t want her gifts and doesn’t want to give up his jewels and shoos her away. Devastated, she returns to the human world where the man promises to find her rare jewels so she can be more extravagant than Justin. She won’t let anything happen to her human man.

“You write his name down and I shall kill you and your friends.” Sah keeps his Khopesh-a sickle-sword- pointed at Ismael, while Kimi receives a text from Kiara giving them the go ahead with their plan. Kimi took a picture of Ismael, sent it to Kiara who sent it to Taro for Lucca to tell them his name. Through the tiny earphone in Stephan’s ear, she tells him the man’s name.

“I guess we will have to find out.” Sah waves him on.

“We shall kill you first, Ismael King!” Stephan says the magic words. He writes down Ismael’s name in the death note from Brazil as Kiara writes down the same name in the death note from Mexico and Mogi writes down the same name in the death note from Taro. He throws the darts at Kimi who dodges it and Sah who cuts it in half.

“Stephan, it’s yours now!” Kiara says to Belphagor who changes ownership back to him.

            Before sending Taro and Lucca to Tokyo, Lucca gave Stephan ownership of the death note from Brazil. Knowing that the shinigami might try to kill him, Kiara or Mogi, he told Belphagor that he will relinquish ownership to Kiara for the time being. A shinigami can’t kill the owner of the death note be they the original or temporary owner. Furthermore, if a person’s name is written in three death notes within 0.06seconds of each other, the person will not die, using this rule to provoke Daril into trying to kill Stephan who now has ownership of the death note again.      

         Daril finishes writing down Stephan’s name seconds after she gained ownership and it is ineffective. Belphagor appears behind Daril and grabs her death note. His eyes are bright red; all of his sharp teeth are showing for he smiles contently.

“It’s mine now.” Belphagor has lost control off his hand and writes down Daril’s name in her death note. The King of Death has compelled Belphagor to kill Daril for him since she tried killing a human who owns a death note. Her death was rather different than just turning to sand. Her articles of clothing and jewelry decayed as her bones dismantled and her eyes turned black. A strange vortex came bursting through the ceiling and sends her remains swirling into a portal that appeared in the sky above them. From it a chain extends and pierces the abandoned shinigami eyes and the death note in Belphagor’s hand as well as the other shinigami death notes in their possession taking them back to the shinigami realm. The death notes that remain are the ones the humans own. The humans get a glimpse of the shinigami realm and their king.

In those ten seconds, they can feel the immense power he holds and can’t comprehend the magnitude of his being. As the vortex disappears and the portal closes, Belphagor’s eyes go black again. Stephan quickly takes the death note from Ismael while Mogi and Kiara rush in the house. Mogi handcuffs Ismael as Sah collapses to the ground with his hand on his chest. Kimi rushes over to him to see what’s wrong.

“It hurts…more than the scar from the explosion.” Kimi rips open his shirt to see if the poison dart Ismael threw at him made contact but she doesn’t see a mark on his chest or back. A huge scar covers most of his back with evidence of a weak attempt at stitching it up. The stiches are coming out and he begins to bleed through his shirt. Cutting the dart in half caused some of the poison to land on his body-seeping into his open wounds.

“No, hang in there!” She grips his shirt tight.

“Stephan… you were right… three strikes…and…” His eyes close as his face falls over sideways. Kimi shakes him as if she was trying to get him to wake up. Kiara wraps her arms around her arms and chest until she lies down and cries on Sah’s chest. Stephan shakes down Ismael asking him what anti-venom he needs, but he tells them that there is none and he’s already dead.  

            A couple days before Sah’s funeral, Stephan contacts L to tell him they have another death note in their possession and tells him that he is sending them back with Mogi while Kiara and he help Kimi with the funeral. With only one left to confiscate, Near asks all of them to return to Tokyo so they can tackle North Korea together. Aizawa, Ide, Yamamoto and Halle are having a difficult time trying to find that death note and the situation is growing more dangerous by the minute. North Korea knows that the United States and Australia don’t have a death note and are planning to launch a missile in a couple days- the start of World War III. The United States is ready to drop a bomb on North Korea that is twice as strong as the ones they dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Armies are mobilizing and weapons are being disrupted to allies all over the world and are picking sides already while some try to stay out of harm’s way-foreigners fleeing enemy countries. Stephan and Kiara immediately rush back to Tokyo after the funeral, bringing Kimi and Ismael with them and asking P to join them as well. All together again they sit around a circular table L has set up in the main computer room; L, Kiara, Sani, Stephan, Mogi, Yamamoto, Matsuda, Carter, Halle, Aizawa, Ide, P and Kimi discuss their plan of attack while concern has also arise with the disappearance of the death notes Stephan had sent L and the disappearance of Taro and Lucca.

    



© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1677 Views
Added on July 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing