Transparent - Black and White

Transparent - Black and White

A Stage Play by SilverInk
"

Amy, the embodiment of white stereotypes, and Imani, an embodiment of black stereotypes, meet in a cafe.

"

A white woman meets an black woman on a friend-finding app. They agree to meet in a local cafe.


AMY

Hi! Are you Imani?


IMANI

That’s me. It’s great to meet you!


AMY and IMANI sit at a table in the cafe.


IMANI

You know, when I downloaded that app, I thought it was nonsense. Let’s hope you prove me wrong!


AMY

(laughing nervously) Yeah, uh, let’s hope so.


The two sit in silence. AMY fiddles with her hair, and IMANI stares at her hands, which are neatly folded on the table.


IMANI

So, what are your plans for today?


AMY

(looks up) You know, I was going to go to Starbucks before we scheduled this. There’s something we can talk about! What do you think about Starbucks?


IMANI

(raises one eyebrow)


AMY

What?


IMANI

Do all white women love Starbucks?


AMY

That’s racist. And no, they don’t.


IMANI

You sure ‘bout that?


Another awkward silence fills the air. The other customers happily chat around AMY and IMANI.


IMANI

I don’t think black people can be racist..


AMY

And why is that?


IMANI

Well, when a group of people are oppressed by another for 300 years, one would think they have a right to say whatever they want, yes?


WAITER approaches. She has short brown hair and green eyes. She is wearing a green apron and carrying a notepad.


WAITER
Hello! Welcome to Heritage. What can I get you ladies today?


IMANI

She’ll have a Brown Sugar Shortbread Latte.


AMY

(whispering) This isn’t Starbucks.


IMANI

I’m sure you’d like it to be.


IMANI flashes the waiter a smile.


IMANI

Scratch that. She’ll have a small coffee with sugar. I’ll have mine black.


AMY

(glares)


IMANI

(smirks)

© 2017 SilverInk


Author's Note

SilverInk
This is not meant to offend anyone in any way. Thanks for reading, please review!
P.S. Imani was going to be named Lakisha, but it went against my better judgement.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hahaha, I love it! I need more of this story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
Great! It wasn't what I expected it to be. Great write!

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Thanks, glad you liked it!
Wow, I love how they embody the stereotypes of white people and black people! Very interesting piece, I'm guessing this is a satire right? Are you making a continuation? Would love to read it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Yeah, I've always wanted to write satire, and am planning on continuing this. With different races, .. read more
Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

That is so exciting! Be sure to let me know when you put it up online :)
love the font...immediately a stark contrast made ..oh my! not the read i expected it to be...almost as if Amy has been lured into a hostile situation ..i am really interested to see where this all goes .. i do hope you intend to expand on it .. sheesh! i think i will be watching out for Imani ;))
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


SilverInk

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
4 Reviews
Added on December 13, 2017
Last Updated on December 20, 2017

Author

SilverInk
SilverInk

New York, NY



About
This account is no longer active. more..

Writing
My Guest My Guest

A Poem by SilverInk