You Don't Act Like a Black Person

You Don't Act Like a Black Person

A Poem by Brian
"

How do I act like a true black person?

"
You Don't Act Like A Black Person.

"You don't act like a black person," some one said to me,

Am I not black, i have the skin, i have the heritage,

What other proof do you need?

Am I not black enough because I listen to classical music, 

Because I enjoy Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Gershwin. 

Is it because I like to listen to other music other than rap?

Is it because I don't sag my pants down to the ground?

Is it because I don't use the same slang as some other blacks?

Is it because I would rather sit and read a book, than to go party?

Is it because I don't try to talk to every female I see?

Is it because i'm not liberal enough like some other blacks?

Is it because I don't call every woman I see a b***h or a hoe?

I just don't get it, how can you "act" black when you are born black.

How do I not act like a black person, please explain that to me?

© 2010 Brian


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

WOW - completely stunning piece! enjoyed every word of it. just to ask questions in this list form creates a strong impactful journey for your audience today - leaving us asking ourselves the questions & the ultimate question: what defines being black? a color...a race of people....existence. This is something that is not addressed in our community. thank you for speaking out. refreshing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


As amazing as it is, especially in the year 2010, people are still driven by cultural stereotypes. All I can suggest is that you continue to be yourself, and be the person you want to be. You are intelligent, and you're a good writer. Hopefully, you are reading great writers like Langston Hughes, Ralph Ellison, and Maya Angelou. My best to you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Most people like to label others, and they get confused when the label doesn't fit. As for me, I get told that I don't act like a woman...and I have to laugh because I am all woman and just because I choose to be who I am instead of what is expected of me, people just don't know what to label me. I really enjoyed your poem. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
How refreshing! You and my husband would get on... powerful read :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like the likes "Am i not black, i have the skin, i have the heritage" thats awesome dude. We act the way we act, its who we are. I have some of the closest black friends that act themselves and have a cool time. Nice work!

-Will

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't understand why my friends call me black when i don't fit into typical stereotypes. and they only really call me that when I'm angry or excited and slip into kind of street talk. I have a lot of black friends, and none of them are truly like this. I've seen white people, Asians, Hispanics, and blacks act like this. they're products of their environment. It's just sad that many minorities happen to live in these environments.

I'm sorry but when you said
Is it because I don't sag my pants down to the ground?
I laughed. All I could think of was the song "Pants on the Ground"
Great Poem!

Posted 13 Years Ago


The way the world views people based on the color of their skin. Media has made it where they believe black people are these gangstas that kill and be killed for the sake of honor. But what they dont know is there are more personalities and different people then that one sterotype.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree I'm black too. I don't act like it either. I try to be more proper and I love reading. I would never go to a party unless I'm hosting it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ian
wow your right being black shouldn't really be based on the things you just told thank you for putting this out.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010

Author

Brian
Brian

Bowling Green, KY



About
Im currently a student in college, majoring in biology. I love to write, but i can only write when i have the inspiration to do so. And i just tell people how i feel even when they dont want to hear i.. more..

Writing
Toleration Toleration

A Poem by Brian


Be Who You Are Be Who You Are

A Poem by Brian