The life and times of nothing

The life and times of nothing

A Story by Enigma
"

A short story.

"

It is always the small insignificant things in life that have the potential to enrage me to an extent that I always end up destroying something or the other. I have tried to find a cure but my tolerance level amounts to zero. Which does not help at all when you are a creature, feared everywhere you go.

 

I’m not human. I’m not a vampire with ethereal beauty to seduce girls nor a zombie, grunting and eating whatever comes its way. Both of them, in their own way, disgust me.

 

I am something, which has no name. Nothing like myself has ever been in existence on earth. At least, that’s what I know.

 

The first thing I remember about myself is the black mist. Yes, that’s the form I usually take when I have to travel. It blends well with the night sky. But it’s a nightmare to conjure arms and legs from this black mess. Half the time, my toes end up on my head which I try to create only one, and sometimes, my hands protrude out of my butt which is a creepy sight as it is. And sometimes, well, let it be.

 

I can take shapes, yes. So maybe I am a shape-shifter. But I don’t know my original structure. What exactly am I? A mutant shape-shifter is still a human. The person needs food and water and other such needs whereas I have none. I can eat food but its not a necessity. Since I’m not a human, I don’t really know what happens to the food once it gets inside me. And by ‘food’, I mean a wide range of things bitten, chewed, absorbed, sucked and swallowed by me. Be it tortilla chips, sunlight or cement. Talk about having a diversified apetite.

 

So what am I? I don’t know. I sometimes become a human and walk among you. I can clone someone completely on a random basis and work off just to kill the time. I have been the president of USA, a farmer, a barber, a waiter �" anything and everything you can come up with. It is still boring.

 

So what exactly am I? I’m nothing. But I really do exist. I feel like a ghost but unfortunately, have no memories of my mortal life. I am unaware of my age but I have been here since the time of Homer and let me tell you that the greatly admired Achilles was one ugly man who was terrified of ants.  I have witnessed countless wars, intervened when I wanted to. It has been going on like this since, and it does feel like, forever.

 

Currently, I am floating on a huge cloud above south east Asia and people, you need to cut down on pollution because it stinks terribly high up here. Yes, I do have my sense of smell as well as sight and touch.

 

So this is me, still undefined, hacking the thoughts of this young writer well, to kill time which is in excessive abundance. But it is still so boring.

© 2011 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
Something new and random and hilarious (I suppose). Hope it made you smile atleast once. :)
P.S. - Please suggest an alternative title.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very interesting piece. I enjoy the way you speak to appear to be speaking to your audience, as if you were your character and he was telling me about himself. I think that this would be absolutely brilliant if you expanded on this story and made it a book. It would make a great first page. If you wanted a name just for this piece of work, I would suggest something along the lines of "The Musings of a Something", but if you were going to expand on this, keep the original.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I would like to read more about this creature that has no name. The story line is a great one and is unique. I loved the part about Achilles. It gave a little humor to the darker tone of this piece. There is repetition of the use of i am not human. It sticks out to me. You might be able to reword it a little differently but it doesn't effect the over all strong solid piece that has me wanting to hear more tales of this creatures life and find out what it is and the purpose for it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I actually love the title love :) This is so cool! Leaves me feeling surrendered to the ether and thoughts of what lies in-between...I would be interested to see more of this work :) xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting piece. I enjoy the way you speak to appear to be speaking to your audience, as if you were your character and he was telling me about himself. I think that this would be absolutely brilliant if you expanded on this story and made it a book. It would make a great first page. If you wanted a name just for this piece of work, I would suggest something along the lines of "The Musings of a Something", but if you were going to expand on this, keep the original.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Have you seen "The Life and Times of Tim"? I swear, it is actually the funniest show of all time. It's on HBO and it's animated.

Oh, and BTW, Homer wrote the Iliad over a thousand years after the Trojan War, so if you were there in the times of Homer, you wouldn't have seen Achilles. For that error alone, I shall give you a low rating.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

haha I like the ending. It's a fun, unique read. Thank you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
this is the start of a much bigger story..intriguing..the existence of something that doesn't understand it's existence or know its origin - a shape shifter, an alien, an observer, interesting concept which maybe you should really think about in some deep and take to another level..

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You can be many things nowadays. I like the way you wrote this tale. You had my attention from the first set of lines. I like the ending. Writers need many doors to write and think about. Thank you for the fun poem to read.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this write very much. I could feel the distaste and loneliness attached to immortality imprisoned in a mortal world. Don't know if that was your intent or not. Very good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have no clue what that thing is but hey I think you did a great job for talking about something like that. I really like the name don't change it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I did have a few chuckles so awesome, for making it bring such emotions :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 24, 2011
Last Updated on August 24, 2011

Author

Enigma
Enigma

India



About
Hi, I'm Preeti. Nice to meet you! I found this place around the same time I found my love for writing. To be honest, it was a time back when I could write. And I did, oh so much. I found words to b.. more..

Writing
I See You I See You

A Poem by Enigma


Secrets Secrets

A Poem by Enigma


Weather Songs Weather Songs

A Poem by Enigma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It's You It's You

A Poem by Tasha