overdoing it

overdoing it

A Poem by SkinlessFrank

i’m sometimes

the dog who spends

too much time

frolicking in the

salty waves

carefree and never

thinking of tomorrow

swallowing every

moving thing whole

and not noticing how

my belly has become

swollen until

it all comes back out again

the moving crab legs

fish tails flapping

entrails of the jelly fish

that i was earlier

so hungry for

but now want to

wish away into

the cornfield

© 2016 SkinlessFrank


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A distended, greedy stomach full of things swallowed thoughtlessly....

The moving crab legs and flapping fish tails were so vivid. Reminded me of the Romans, who wanted to keep feasting endlessly and so had vomitariums where they brought it all out and went back to feasting.

One must titrate, calibrate, limit experiences and go with caution or suffer inner revolt. This was an amazing metaphor. I loved it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJW
I just wrote and posted a new one with waves and crabs. But no dog. Lol

I could see that dog barreling into the water open mouthed and spasmodically happy! ( It was a yellow goofy labrador)

Anything we do comes back on us somehow..especially those things we barrel into like a goofy lab set loose on the beach!

Posted 2 Years Ago


SkinlessFrank

2 Years Ago

Glad to hear that this happens to you too. Maybe we need one of those reflux valves that they place.. read more
LJW

2 Years Ago

Or maybe we should just stop doing it.
Lol
So funny and clever! Very different and somewhat gross? IF you are thinking about ever publishing this, you may want to fix your grammar some. Overall though, very intriguing poem. One of the few poems I have read where I really feel intrigued. I look forward to reading your future poems and will make sure to review those too! Sadly, I find myself being the dog sometimes as I take many things for granted as do so many other people. Have a great Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas if you are Christian!

Posted 3 Years Ago


There's a "empty the vessel to refill again" message here Frank. And regurgitating the contents is standard human hard-wiring for life retrospection. Cornfields not with standing. I dug this, from one dog in salty water to another.

Posted 3 Years Ago


You, too? I had to laugh at that last part. Yes, I'm that dog more often than I'd like to admit. A clever write.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

-- oh, this is so insightful... now i'm wondering if i've been this dog most of my life... -- some of the thoughts and ideas that i consumed... because they looked attractive on the surface and i didn't think about the future of my mental health... turned out to be so awful later that i had to spend years in isolation to figure out exactly which thoughts i like independently... and yet the lessons i learnt as the dog were priceless... -- they served as an important reference point... and told me what not to consume... -- life is a very perplexing experience... and i absolutely love how you've created a complex study out of a simple image... sheer genius... and an unforgettable poetry lesson...

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 10, 2016
Last Updated on July 11, 2016

Author

SkinlessFrank
SkinlessFrank

Glen Sutton, Quebec, Canada



Writing
roots roots

A Poem by SkinlessFrank



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lucky Ivor Lucky Ivor

A Story by Woody


Meditation Meditation

A Story by Woody


The Voice The Voice

A Story by Woody