My Little Mythology

My Little Mythology

A Story by skratch234
"

Being a theology major i enjoy trying to create mythologies. This is my attempt at creating a simple mythology for the My Little Pony universe.

"
Era of Dragon.

At first the world was chaos. The land spewed fire and the oceans boiled. The sky was black and neither sun nor star could be seen. As the molten earth mingled with the scalding water the first dragons emerged and they were named Iletef and Fruren. They stretched their limbs and to the sky they took flight. The beating of their behemoth wings cleared the sky of smoke revealing the Moon, which stilled the earth and sea. Born of the earth the dragons hungered for gems. Spined Iletef searched the land, digging endless valleys and pushing the earth into towering mountains. Furred Fruren dove deep into the waters and dug up through the land creating the rivers and lakes.

After many years Iletef and Fruren died. Fruren's scales became the first fish. From his muscles came the sharks and other sea predators. From his organs came the squid and octopus. From his bones came the crabs. His fur became the vast coral reefs and endless forests of seaweed. The ocean teemed with life and many dragons found comfort under the waves, living in the caves dug by their forefather.

Iletef's body fell and where she lay in eternal slumber came the creatures of the land. Her scales became smaller reptiles like lizards and snakes. Her muscles became the birds of every size and type. Her organs became the land animals like mice and foxes. Her bones became the insects and her spines became the grass, trees and flowers. The land thrived and many dragons found comfort in the forests, hoarding gems in the mountains that their first mother had created.

Even though the dragons settled into their habits of hoarding and mating the sun and moon moved erratically in the sky. The Alacorn came forth and brought order to these heavenly bodies. Ruled by Airin and Ulae, together they settled the Sun and Moon into a balanced dance. Airin bore the Sun across the sky and his family ruled peacefully over the creatures. The rays, now stable, brought new life into the land. The trees grew stronger and bore fruits, from the grass grew the vegetables, the animals grazed and hunted according to their needs. When the animals grew tired of searching or chasing Ulae , with the night sky in his hair, brought the Moon. The moon stilled the creatures much like it had stilled the earth and waters long ago. The creatures and plants slumbered and Ulae and his family stood guard. In the dark they whispered to the creatures, bringing to them dreams and inspirations. In the dark the creatures could rest and heal.

Rose haired Airin and her family were the noble knights. Wreathed in the sun they stood as examples for the other creatures. With a dignified air they watched over the weak and trained the strong, no matter the species, to use their strength to protect others. It was around Airin and her family that the kingdom of the Alacorn grew strong and stable. Airin was looked up to as the Hero warrior of her time. Before the Alacorn could settle down completely their land was overrun by a sloth of Ursa Major. The attack was so sudden Airin had no choice but to face the charging horde alone. It is said the battle lasted a mere hour before Airin had injured the entire army but she remained composed and never once fatally wounded any of the beasts.

Many years after the Ursa had been turned another threat encroached on the land the Alacorn had fought so hard to keep. Manticores are wild creatures and never posed a problem to the Alacorn, but something odd came to be. At first none could understand the seemingly random attacks by the Manticores but soon it was clear that they were not random. Whispers began to spread of a talking Manticore that had rallied the others to stand and fight. Airin was away to meet with Ulae so it stood to her siblings, Adiana and Matia to quell this rebellion. Adiana was stalwart warrior but sometimes gung-ho in her duties. Matia was the stoic brother, quiet and decisive. Together they moved to against the creatures. One was captured and questioned by Adiana. Her methods were effective and soon she and Matia found themselves at the lair of Flaremound the Ripper. They fought to the center and found the leader. Matia attempted negotiations and was almost poisoned when Flaremound attacked. Together Adiana and Matia felled every beast that stood against them and scattered the Manticores across the land. Rumors were heard of other intelligent Manticores but never was evidence found.

Ulae and his family were the mages and artists. Mantled by the moon they plied their trade in the shadows. They were the first to have a written language which they used to chronicle what they saw, learned and created. With the sun and the moon in harmony the land was peaceful. It was around Ulae and his family that the academies were built. Ulae was a shy pony, favoring the comfort of his home and books to the company of others. He would lock himself away for weeks chronicling his research. It was Ulae who created the spell for telekinesis. He stood before his family and with an uncharacteristic show of whimsy he gently lifted the talking scholar. So gently was he raised that the scholar didn't notice until he heard a gasp from the crowd. The scholar screamed but Ulae sat him down just as softly as he had picked him up. Ulae taught others how to manipulate their surroundings and for many of the academics this allowed them to reference multiple materials and write without cluttering their workspace. Ulae soon found a love for teaching.

One student stood above all others that Ulae had. His name was Ira. This pony was the antithesis of Ulae. Exuberant in his studies he read every thing Ulae took down. With the amount of energy Ira had he found himself growing impatient with the slow way the ponies traveled. He ran everywhere but still found this to be too slow. One evening when Ulae and some colleagues ate and discussed matters of magic and history Ira suddenly appeared in the middle of the table. All was silent for a moment before both Ulae and Ira burst out laughing. Though this find was great very few were taught. The dangers of mass teleportation proved to be too great and though it was still taught few used it willingly.

Beneath the earth lived other creatures. The two prominent races were the Grundels and another that would later be known as the Diamond Dogs. They were born directly from the stone and in the stone they made their homes. The Grundels were the more prominent of the two, they took the stone and shaped it into works of art, pulling beauty from the Saljarg, or the stone's soul. Though at first the Grundels worked alongside the Diamond Dogs to mine the stone and precious gems they soon found it better to let the sturdy Diamond Dogs mine while they shaped it to their will. The Diamond Dogs found the weak and artistic Grundels to be a nuisance. Diamond Dogs were sturdy like the rock they came from, able to find the best veins of precious stones, and with ease they hunted them. With their claws as hard as their name sake they protected themselves, their treasure, and the Grundels from the other creatures that called the caverns their home.

The Diamond Dogs were led by their Darnan, king, Mardin. The title of Darnan meant little to their race. He would tell them when they were finished mining in a certain area or if it had become unsafe to dig further. He worked alongside them and had the same food as the others.

The Grundels were led by Giment. They had no special name for him but his work stood above all others. Many said he not only saw the Saljarg, but could speak to it directly and shape the stone into exactly what it wanted to be.

Far from the Alacorn lived the formidable centaurs. A roving band of warriors these creatures tested their endurance and strength in battle. At first they were many small nomadic tribes but one began to draw them together. His name was Rhoecus Tirac, a fierce warrior and brilliant strategist. He had won many battles and instead of slaughtering his enemies he would offer them a place in his army. They would receive the same treatment as his other soldiers as long as they swore their loyalties to him. After growing his ranks many times over he no longer needed to fight. He would take a relatively small number of soldiers and march into the enemies camp. Face to face with their leader he would tell them they could either surrender and be brought into his numbers where the leaders would be made high ranking officers in charge of their same soldiers or they could fight and die. Many found their first option to be the smartest choice and would happily swear fealty to him. Others would refuse, at which point Rhoecus Tirac would sound his horn and the camp would be surrounded by a sea of warriors. Most would reconsider his offer and accept but their were some who still tried to fight. One, by the name of Teris Bry, fought hard and managed to wound one of Rhoecus' ears before finally falling. Rhoecus respected his valor and any who showed exemplary medal in the field received the title of Teris-tyx. It would be many centuries before this race would come into contact with any others, but their strong will and warrior prowess pushed them to conquer any they came upon.

These were the most prominent of races but their were others still. The Lindafu were a feline-like race who were obsessed with their magical abilities. Solitary by nature they went to extreme measures to gain power. Many destroyed themselves in their research and many others simply gave up, the race began to fade out of the world and only stories remain of them.

There were also the Dragquiverae. A race of shape-shifting lizards. This race was looked upon as odd because they did not have any social structure nor were they solitary creatures. They were the happiest among other races.

The final race worth noting were the Moochicks. No one can quite agree on their history, though neither can they. Small in size these creatures lived far longer than any of the other races, almost rivaling the lifespans of dragons. Eccentric but wise they lived on the outskirts of societies and some were even feared due to their odd nature.
These were the races of the world.


Era of Alacorn.

The Alacorns found themselves under the guidance of strong and capable leaders. Together Ulae and Airin lead the ponies to find a land they could establish as their own. The journey was rough. Many times they found themselves against creatures that wished them harm. Airin and her brother Matia protected their people from a vicious Hydra attack. Ulae and Adiana fought side-by-side against a nest of cockatrice's. Many ponies where lost during this great migration but many also showed their medal and were raised to be heroes among their own kind.

Night fell as they found themselves passing through a swamp. All were silent, listening to the unfamiliar noises of this new and strange land. The air stood still as a loud shriek pierced the night startling the group. Toward the back of the formation a horrible creature emerged from the waters. It coiled it's long snake-like body as it readied to strike. It's face was twisted in a terrible smile, its teeth shone in the moonlight as it stretched its arms out and opened its fingers. It struck and the ponies scattered, all but one. A small gray mare  by the name of Yennaria took flight and escaped the creatures grasp. She flew up high and without a sound dived at the monster. A loud thud was heard and the monster shrieked again as it's eye was pierced. Yennaria fell to the ground, unharmed but dazed. Matia was the first to her side, together they once again took flight. Circling the creature once they dove again. Matia came in fast and the creature turned to swat him away, but Yennaria took the opportunity to dive again at the creature, her horn pierced the creatures throat. There was no other shriek as the creature flailed and finally slid lifelessly back into the swamp. The ponies regrouped and Yennaria was given honors. From then on she stayed at the front alongside Matia for the remainder of the journey and for the rest of her life.

More dangers hampered them but just as many bravely stood against these challenges. While journeying inside a cave they were met with the sound of an avalanche. Quickly the ponies ran to safety but no rocks fell. Out from the wall came a large canine creature whose skin seemed to be covered in rocks. Slowly it lumbered forward blocking the way of the group. Airin and her sister Adiana wasted little time before attacking this new foe. Airin flew to the cave ceiling and dived while Adiana dashed low. Together they struck and together they were sent reeling back. At this Ulae and Ira rushed forth, together they cast their magics at the creature trying to lift it. It did not budge. Exhausted and irritated the four sat discussing a new strategy. While they talked Matia slowly ventured forth. Soon the ponies grew silent. Matia approached the creature with a smile. He complimented the its strength and form, comparing its rocky fur to the sun drenched mountainside. The stony tail began to wag as Matia's soothing voice made the dog complacent. He gently asked if the mighty creature would allow them passage through it's cavern. It stood and with excited steps that shook the cave it lead them safely to the other side. The dog parted ways at the mouth of the cave and every pony cheered for Matia, he allowed them to cheer but at the end he reminded them that not all challenges are to be met with force and not all obstacles are enemies.

Dawn was breaking as the exited the cave. The sound of rushing water met the ears of the ponies. The cavern opened onto a ledge nestled between the two mountains. A waterfall fell and filled the giant pond that watered the lush green grass. They had found their home and they called it Canterlot. They began building immediately. It wasn't long before a white and gold city stood like a beacon in the mountains. A great palace was built for Airin and her family. Adjoining the palace the Mage academy was constructed. Ulae and Ira began to take pupils and it wasn't long before the city settled into a comfortable rhythm.

The noble ponies began to take names of their patron hero. Soon they were calling themselves “of Matia” if they thought of themselves as kind and decisive warriors, Or they called themselves “of Ira” if they saw themselves as Energetic scholars. Many had aligned themselves with one or another and it wasn't long before they became “the families of Matia”, “the families of Ira “ or “the families Adiana”. Though these names were taken none dared call themselves by the name of Ulae or Airin.  The ones who had their names taken looked upon this as a formality though Yennaria saw it as a way for the ponies to come together.

As time went by Airin proved to be a noble Queen. With brother and sister at her side she walked amongst the common people and heard their pleas for this or that and immediately she would act. Her subjects loved her and she loved them. Ulae was found more and more at the palace in the presence of Airin. Many began to see him as the Queen's adviser but others noticed the whispering they did and the looks that were traded. But the formation of families brought the formation of plots. One evening Airin fell ill. The sickness seemed unnatural and none could help her. She lay in bed for days tossing and turning. Her body ran from cold to burning within minutes. Her family sat by  her side and were only at ease when she was able to rest. In her sleep she passed. Ulae sat with her all night and as her last breaths ceased Ulae lowered his head and the moon glowed blue. A ceremony was held in her honor and she was given a warriors funeral pyre. The fire consumed her body and as it died Ulae stood over the ashes, silent for many hours. Finally his sadness overwhelmed him  and he began to weep. His tears ran down his cheeks onto the ashes. From these rose the first Flories. A race of plants that could talk and move. They were known as Ulae's children and the Descendents of Airin for many years.

Matia took the throne after his sister passed. The ponies had insisted as he was kind and patient, much like his sister before him. Urged by Ulae and Adiana, his first act was to investigate what had happened to Airin. A call went out and soon it was found that the Queen had been poisoned. A chef stepped forward telling that one of his usual cooks had gone missing. An herbalist then reported certain plants of his had been unaccounted for. Two colts by the names of Lariss and Eluch had not been seen since the queen had fallen ill. They were found behind the waterfall with two other conspirators, a palace maid and a single guard. They claimed to be of the House of Adiana. They had believed Airin to  soft on her subjects and wished to put Adiana on the throne. They were taken and executed for high treason and murder in the square.

Ulae become more and more reclusive. He began missing his classes, lectures and soon all of his appointments entirely. Adiana began to grow impatient with others and her soldiers started to complain of her growing harshness in their training. Matia was kept busy with his duties as many of the lower ponies began to complain. The kingdom felt the loss of their queen and it quickly became apparent.

One evening Ulae summoned Ira to his chambers. Ira was concerned for his mentor and voiced his worry of Ulae's recent withdraw from the world. Ulae explained he had not withdrawn without purpose. He had mourned for Airin but the repercussions of her death were graver than most thought. Sadly he explained that without heirs the Sun would soon revert to it's erratic nature. The same went for himself and the moon. Fortunately he had recorded how he and Airin had brought the Sun and Moon to harmony and these arts could be taught. He already knew who would take on Airin's responsibilities, her brother and current ruler Matia. Ira asked who would take Ulae's role when he had passed. That had been decided as well. Ulae asked Ira if he would be willing to take it on. He told him how he had always enjoyed Ira's positive outlook and he knew none whose intelligence could matched his. He told him of how those in charge of the Sun and Moon should stand as examples to the others. Ira agreed and together they went to tell their plan to King Matia. He told Ira and Matia that the secrets he would share would stay with them two, only to be passed down to one of their own blood who they found to be worthy of their power. Separately they were tutored and when it came to its end Ulae destroyed his notes and research. It would now be passed only through family.

With his duties passed on Ulae was able to spend the rest of his days in the Academy. He taught as he had before and was looked upon as the father of mages. He grew old and died peacefully. His body and the ashes of Airin were walked through the streets. He was cremated and together his and Airin's ashes were set adrift in the afternoon breeze. Together they would return to nature. Forever they would be together.

Outside of Canterlot the world was not still. The Centaurs had grown strong and began to spread throughout the land. Their strength and size was unmatched by all races except one. The Centaurs had heard of a craftsmen race that lived underground. Their work could not be matched by any craftsmen that saw the sky. Grundels they were called and the Centaurs began their search for the secrets to the Grundels art. The Grundels heard the pounding of centaur hooves and whispers of slavery. At first they tried to flee, moving from mountain to mountain but it soon became apparent that the Centaurs would not stop hunting them. They could not tolerate this so the Darnan of their time Aor sent for help from the Diamond Dogs and together they prepared for battle. Together they called upon the earth not for art, but for war. They crafted armor and weapons from their precious metals and marched themselves to the surface. They would stand together against the invading Centaurs.

The Centaurs did not expect such a battle with the small creatures, but soon it became apparent that they had to devise a new strategy. Eutropious Tirac called a meeting to discuss what their next move could be. A younger general, by the name of Herodes Demosthenes, pointed our the superiority of their enemies weapons. To win they had to craft stronger armor to withstand the attacks and stronger weapons to overcome their defenses. As they debated on the best materials went a dragon was spotted flying over them. Silence fell upon the meeting and they all knew what they had to do. An elite few were sent along with cart bearers to carry their find while the main army kept the pressure on the Grundels to keep them distracted. The Drakinigoses, as they were come to be called, were merciless in their hunt. In a single year they nearly hunted the dragons in the land to extinction. With the bones and scales they made armor, stronger than rock and flexible. With the claws and teeth they made weapons, sharper and stronger than the metal the Grundels used and lighter than wood. The Grundels thought that their victory was close at hand. As the number of Centaurs grew smaller everyday the Grundels felt relief wash over them. One night they settled for a feast to honor the many who had fallen including Darnan Aor. They ate and Aor's son Whurring, the new Darnan, toasted for oncoming victory and mourned the loss of most of their race. Tomorrow they would end this war and return to Grundeland once again. As the sun rose and they prepared for battles their eyes were drawn to a gleam that shone from the hillside. Soon the Grundels mouths fell open in fear as The dragon skinned Centaurs approached. Too close were the Centaurs and too far away were the Grundels from the mountain for a proper retreat. Eutropious and Herodes stood at the front of their army, clad in golden scales they called the charge. Darnan Whurring loudly called charge as well and lead his troops into the final assault. The battle lasted through the entire day. Each side put their all into the final onslaught and the land ran red with blood. It became apparent to all that neither would win this battle. The Centaurs armor proved to be great but the Grundels fought not only for themselves but for their slain family and their land. As the sun sank low the Centaurs called the retreat. Eutropious had been slain and Herodes took the title of Tirac. The proud centaur race had been reduced to a handful of wounded warriors who had lost everything and were far from home. As they turn to flee the Grundels did not cheer. Silently, the few that were left turned and made their way back into the mountains. They left their weapons were they fell and solemnly made their way home.

The Centaurs retreated but they ran aimlessly. They could not return to their homeland without victory. They were angry, at the Grundels and especially at themselves. This anger they turned inward and they began to plot. The remaining Centaurs became obsessed with the idea of victory over the whole of the land. They hid, bidding their time until they could one day rise and rule. But for now they could only survive.


Era of Unicorn.

Canterlot remained restless for many years after the passing of Ulae, but finally it could not bear the stress any longer. The stress threatened to tear the very kingdom apart. Matia tried to placate everyone but it could not be done. Adiana had grown jealous of her brother but did not wish to fight for the thrown. With her House behind her they flew further north, higher into the mountains. Her high regard for physical prowess was shared with her house and it was passed down through the generations. As time went by the ponies in the north began to neglect their magic altogether. Their wings grew strong and their horns slowly grew smaller until they didn't exist at all but they could not escape their magical heritage. Their affinity for flight made them keenly aware of the weather and it wasn't long before they found that they could manipulate and shape it to their will. The first generation to call themselves Pegasus were lead by Soren Dash and Aisling Dancer. Soren Dash strove to push his limits, he and his family turned the sky into a labyrinth of hurricanes and tornadoes. Aisling Dancer and her family saw the beauty in the fluffy wisps and molded them into a shining city they called Cloudsdale.

The second to leave was a lower pony of no title or house by the name of Thalcon. He had been a voice of change to the Family-less ponies and called for another migration. He spoke against many things. The use of magic and living in Canterlot were his main subjects. He saw the use of magic as unnatural and something that bordered on evil. He claimed the ponies should lead natural lives, free of the bonds of nobility and tyranny. His voice became stronger after the murder of Queen Airin and many more began to listen. After Adiana and her family left, Thalcon took himself and any of the family-less ponies away. They flew South West and built a life out of the soil. Together they worked the land and from the land they harvested their spoils. As generations went by their wings and horns grew smaller until neither could be found. They never took family names nor did they call themselves anything aside from ponies. Their settlement simply became known as Ponyville.


Matia and Ira took new surnames to show they, and their families, positions. Airin's brother was now known as King Matia Sol and Ulae's protege became known as Ira Moon. The Sol family remained the single ruling class while Ira kept the academy alive and strong. As the families grew, it was soon apparent that the Moon family could not remain within Canterlot comfortably. Lead by Ira's great-great-great granddaughter, Luthien Moon, and her husband she took her family and made the trip down the mountainside. Close to Canterlot they built Dream Castle to house their growing numbers. After Dream Castle had been built Luthien returned to Canterlot to continue her work at the main academy. Dream Castle was left in the charge of Daisy Sky. Daisy was a mage at a level that rivaled the Moon family. With the blessing of Luthien she turned Dream Castle into a second mage academy. She and her family pushed to advance their field of magic. From this push the mage's forsook their wings and slowly they could not be found on any ponies. All that was left was their horn from which they drew their power, they embraced their changed and called themselves the Unicorns.

From the far southern jungles a new creature emerged. They walked upright and had very little fur. Upon their frames they hung plants and cloth as coverings. Like the Grundels they worked the earth for art but also for war. Like the Unicorn they had an affinity for magic. A group had left the safety of their home to travel Equestria. Rainard was the name of their leader, a powerful warrior he sought to make contact with the other races to form alliances to protect their small village. The race they met were the Grundels. They came upon each other by chance and Rainard eased the timid creatures nerves with gifts of food. They band talked with them and the Grundels wearily agreed to align themselves with this race that called themselves Human.

As they traveled around the base of a mountain their eyes were met with the gleam of a beautiful city that sat higher on the mountain. Carefully they climbed and made their way to the city gates. They met with guards and were lead to the throne room and met with the reigning warrior king Arminas Sol. Together they talked of peace between the races. Rainard and the king had much in common and talked at length. They became fast friends and Arminas granted them land near Canterlot that stretched out into the Great Scorched Plains. They were told that there they would find the Tatonka Tribe. Rainard was pleased and sent word to his village that they had acquired land that they could live upon.

Rainard took his men and traveled the way they had been pointed and settled in a small clearing on the edge of the Great Scorched Plains. They waited for more of their people to arrive and there they began to build their second village with the blessing of the Alacorn. The name Westerpine Hollow was agreed upon but Rainard only waited long enough for the people to arrive and to ensure that they were safe and settled before he began his search for the Tatonka Tribe. He traveled further into the plains and soon came upon them. Rainard hailed for the attention of one and was met with hostility. The Tatonka Tribe did not fully trust outsiders, so they remained cautious. He was lead to their tribal chief, Kawacatoose. Kawacatoose towered over Rainard and eyed him warily. Rainard waited in silence for the chief to address him. Kawacatoose finally spoke, he felt uneasy with Rainard and his people. He said that he saw within them an unfamiliar darkness. Rainard felt the sting of his words but asked the chief to give them a chance. He reasoned that maybe they simply needed the guidance of the Tatonka to destroy this “inner darkness” the chief spoke about. Again the chief was silent. After many agonizing moments he agreed. He told them even though they were at peace, the humans would still be watched with a wary eye. Rainard agreed and he returned to his village with the good news.

Years progressed and the peace of the land lasted. The neighboring Unicorns were amazed to find another race that had the same magical affinity as they. Happily the humans were accepted into the Dream Castle academy to study alongside the unicorns. Quickly did they progress in the magical ways. One mage, by the name of Salendar worked closely with potions and alchemical materials. His work was dangerous and he found it difficult to watch his mixture and safely pour things while checking his notes. From excess hair and dust he created the Bushwoolies. He made them of an agreeable temperament and they were the perfect assistants. Through experimentation and with the help of the Bushwoolies Salendar, by accident, created a living liquid. He called it Smooze and though he didn't have a purpose for it he kept it in his presence at all times.

There was also a female mage by the name of Alexis whose ability with the magical art of manipulation was almost unmatched. She amazed the entire academy when she managed to lift the entire roof off the tops of 2 nearby houses. The ease at which she could conjure and control her powers was beautiful to behold.

This was not their only talent though, it was soon found that they could work the metals of the land with a great precision and imagination. From their minds their came many wonder inventions. Though they tried to be strong the humans found traveling between Westerpine Hollow, Dream Castle and the Tatonka Tribe lands to be far too dangerous for them. With both the Unicorn and the Buffalo they sat and told of their greatest creation. A large metal steed that would carry the humans and any that wished to ride across Equestria. The Tatonka voiced concern for a magical metal steed being loosed upon the world but the humans explained it wouldn't be loose, quite the opposite in fact. This machine, as they called it, would only be able to travel where a special road was to be built. Bringing a map to the table they plotted the trail that their invention would travel. Again the Tatonka were wary but they accepted and it wasn't long before they began building the special road that would keep tame a metal steed.

The work was hard but after years it was finally time for the humans machine to be unveiled. It was called a Locomotive and all marveled at the humans creation. Both Catahecassa, the Tatonka chief and Melody, the academy head, were brought on for its first trip around the land. It worked splendidly and it became the humans first choice in travel between cities. But this triumph of creation slowly began to turn the humans thoughts dark and before long they saw the world in a new way.

The humans looked at what they had accomplished but it was not enough. Their mages began to push themselves harder in their magical workings. The smiths began planning bigger projects, buildings that would rival mountains in size. They looked upon the land they had changed for their locomotive and saw that there was little that could hamper their works. Their thoughts of the unicorns began to turn to disgust as they felt they were wasting their talents. They began to resent the Tatonka, the creatures that had almost refused their alliance because of one stubborn chief. They grew angry.

At first the unicorns did not notice the gradual withdraw of the Humans into their own city but soon they began to worry as no word from the village had been sent in months. Messengers were sent but when they tried to board the locomotive they were turned away. The ponies sadly returned to Dream Castle to tell what had happened. Melody sent word to Canterlot reporting the shift in the demeanor of the humans. From Canterlot were sent some of their fastest Pegasus messengers to try and get word from the humans. Weeks passed and they never returned.

The locomotive stopped running. Dream Castle was void of humans. Even Salendar had vacated his laboratory in the depths of Dream Castle to live in Westerpine Hollow. A wave of unease washed over the land and it was felt by both the unicorns and the Tatonka tribe. After weeks of silence from the Westerpine Hollow Melody took two of her top students Moonbeam, a gifted and loyal Conjurer, and Wondermint, a quiet and loving Nature Mage. Together the three attempted to visit the human settlement but when they arrived no one could be found. They walked through the empty streets, stopping at various buildings to check for signs of life but none could be found.

It was then that a great rumble began to shake the valley. From the nearby mountain range came the sound of rocks smashing themselves together, a large cloud of dust erupted and when it had cleared a large stone castle towered over the abandoned city. Melody told Moonbeam to return to Dreamcastle and send word to Canterlot immediately for help. Together Melody and Wondermint made their way to the newly created castle. As they made their way up the sound of rushing water was heard by the two. From where they were they could see a giant lavender waterfall making it's way to the valley. It churned the stomachs of the two ponies to see that viscous liquid run down the mountain, they could swear it was almost alive. In seconds the human settlement had been completely engulfed in the sludge. The horror of the implications slowly became apparent to Melody and Wondermint. Without a second thought they rushed to the castle, crashing through the front gates they were met by Salendar. Standing in the giant stone hall his maniacal laughter echoed as he turned and pointed at the intruders.

“ Your life, O foals, hangs by a thread. Short is your day!” His eyes flashed with glee as he pointed to the intruding ponies. From his fingers sparked light that rushed toward them. Wondermint jumped, pushing Melody out of the way. They both crashed to the floor and rolled into one of the stone walls. Again Salendar attacked, flames jumped from his hands but Wondermint countered. From her horn a jet of water cut through the fire and hit Salendar square in his chest. He was sent whirling across the hall. He landed with a loud and sickening crack against a pillar and his body tumbled to the floor lifelessly. His body convulsed as Wondermint walked closely and carefully toward him. Her body began to shiver and her eyes filled with tears. She had worked with Salendar on many projects when he had been at the academy and now his body lay before her, still, lifeless, quiet, never again would he work with the earth to distill colorful and potent potions.

Melody limped to Wondermint and spoke soothing words to her. She praised her quick thinking and told her there was no other options. Wondermint leaned against her mentor but Melody reminded her that they couldn't stop now. They turned away from Salendar's body and continued deeper into the castle. It wasn't long before they came into a dinning hall that had a long table in the center. The flickering of the candles was the only source of light. Every chair had someone sitting in it, but they did not move. Wondermint stayed away from the table but Melody had to check. She gagged her eyes adjusted and she saw that every persons chest had been cut open, ribs broken, and their hearts sat on plates in front of them. They hurried to the stairs through the opposite door and further down they went further into the castle. The deeper they descended the more ghastly the scene became. In every room were the mangled bodies of the people from Westerpine Hollow. Their bodies cut and used for some kind of ritual. Melody pushed on acting strong for Wondermint who could barely keep herself from turning and running. Finally they came to the bottom of the stairs, the very basement of the castle and from the cracks in the door that was ajar came light. Melody went first, pushing the door further open she stepped in but nothing could prepare for the horror that met her eyes.

Alexis sat in the center of a circular room. Her arms sat crossed in her lap as she rested in her high back chair. She sat, up to her knees, in the bodies of the remaining villagers and behind her were the Pegasus messengers from Canterlot. They were strapped to tables and their wings had been dissected but they still lived. Melody could no longer control herself, her anger took over and she attacked. From her horn burst a brilliant multicolored light comprised of all the elements. Harmlessly they hit the chair were Alexis had been sitting. Mockingly her voice came from the shadows. She told stories of the living darkness that Salendar had created purely by accident. She found the Smooze to be a flawed experiment in harnessing one of natures strongest elements. Wondermint cowered in a corner barely able to contain the utter hopelessness that filled her every thought. Melody stood her ground and waited, listening as again Alexis began to taunt her with the stories of the experiments she performed on her own people and then finally on the Pegasus that had showed up uninvited. She wish to take the darkness Salendar had harnessed and give it a solid form. She told them how close she was. The blood of her people had brought her close but they weren't enough.

Melody's voice rang out, piercing the darkness. Greed for power and insanity is all Alexis would find here. The depths to which she fell could not be forgiven and even her power could not stand on its own now. She had relied on the darkness and not herself for strength. Alexis laughed but did not respond. A shadow stretched toward Melody but it had been noticed. The fight between the two had begun for real and now darkness and light clashed as they both throw their all into their magic. The shadows became the limbs of Alexis which reached out to ensnare Melody. Melody's horn shone and she was clad in armor of light. Together the two clashed but their magics were almost equal. Melody could see only one option and as she dodged more of Alexis’ shadow hands she rushed forward. Taking Alexis by surprise she got in close and with one jump lunged at the witch. Her horn met flesh and pierced Alexis’ abdomen. Alexis screeched and clawed at Melody who drove her back into the wall pinning her. Alexis struggled for a few moments before her life spilled out of her completely.

Melodies work was not yet done. She turned to the injured Pegasus and looked at the state of their bodies. She saw that Alexis and disconnected the wings at the joint and had been trying to infuse the wings with pure darkness. Melody worked quickly but she found that she couldn't heal them. The darkness had begun to spread into their bodies. She didn't know what to do and so she turned to Wondermint who still sat shaking in a corner of the room. She told her how she needed help, she knew that Wondermint had seen more than she should have but they needed to work together to save who they could. She needed her knowledge of the natural magics to fix these ponies. It took Wondermint many minutes before she could finally regain herself. Melody told her what she saw and Wondermint numbly looked upon the mangled wings of the messengers. Quietly she studied the seeping darkness that threatened to infect them completely until finally she spoke. The darkness could not be removed, they would have to infuse them with the power of light and hope that they would be strong enough to use it to purify the darkness. Together the two worked quickly, with Wondermint leading their ritual they called upon light to battle dark. Their work paid off and as they passed out they caught just a glimpse of new wings growing from the severed joints. Wings of light erupted and the messengers awoke, they picked the unconscious unicorns up and up they sped through the castle, the very darkness fled from their new wings.

Into the sunlight they burst, their wings glittering in the sun. They surveyed the land and found it covered in Smooze. The light inside them drove them downward, almost head on with the muck. From them the light was amplified and it struck at the Smooze causing it to flee almost as if in pain. Each pass from them caused it to shriek and shrink. Soon not a trace of the viscous slime could be seen, their work done the new Pegasus sat Melody and Wondermint down safely where they could be easily spotted and away they flew. As they left the reinforcements caught sight of them and all they could agree on was how gracefully they fluttered in the sun.

The castle was searched and after all was found and cataloged it was cleaned. It seemed that they all met to discuss the building of more creations, more powerful and complex then the locomotive but Alexis and Salendar burst into the meeting. They told of their plan to overtake Equestria and become the rightful rulers of this world. The other humans did not agree and so Salendar and Alexis murdered them. Not all the humans from Westerpine Hollow were accounted for but they could not be found. Alexis' dark research had destroyed the human kingdom. The locomotive and other human creations still stood but nopony knew how to work them. Silently they sat alone for many years reminding the ponies of the allies that had been lost to madness. The ponies would not go near her castle for it was said that some darkness still remained in that castle of nightmares.


Era of Pegasus.

Canterlot became the center of trade and government for the majority of Equestria. It grew large and was soon a thriving Metropolis. The royalty at the time was Queen Nova and King Quasar Sol and their rule was just but the ponies had spoken and changes had been made. Alongside the King and Queen another ruling body, called the Tackracy, was created. The Tackracy was a group of nobles who were brought together after the ponies began voicing their concerns of possible misuse of power. At first they acted as advisers and together they organized the issues of the kingdom to make them easier to address. The King and Queen were hesitant and their intuition soon proved to be correct. The Tackracy took it upon themselves to not just organize the issues in general but they soon began to pick what they thought to be the most important and after awhile they began accepting and denying requests at their own leisure. Soon the Tackracy became an impassible wall between the ponies and their beloved rulers.

The unrest grew and it was almost tangible when one trotted through the streets of Canterlot. Not only had they shut a door between the Royals and their people, but they had stopped communication with all the races outside of Canterlot. The only place that remained oblivious to the plight of the ponies was the Academy of Mages. Sequestered from society the mages busied themselves with their magic, unaware of the growing gap between the ponies and their rulers. Though their magic was powerful, the academy remained naïve and blind to everything that was going on around the city.

The Moon family's magic was renown throughout the land but the family itself began to grow smaller with each passing generation. The beauty of those born to the Sol line was irresistible and the families found their lines merging. The last thoroughbreds from the Moon family ran the academies exactly like their ancestors. Fixated on either history or magic they created, recorded and taught those that came with an eagerness to learn. The last of the Moon family consisted of Mysteria and Historia Moon and their children Midnight and Arcana Moon. Mysteria Moon occupied himself every day with study and found no patience for teaching any except the most exceptional of students. His wife Historia Moon, the heir of Ira's power, took control of the teaching aspect as well as chronicling any finds of her husbands work.

Their eldest, Midnight Moon, Left the academy to continue her research at a long abandoned castle which sat alone, far between any cities. There she studied to create a way to deliver messages directly to a pony's mind safely from great distances, but this Rainbow Messenger proved tricky to predict as most times the recipient of the messages became obsessed with the and carried out whatever was said obsessively. Though she recorded all her steps she kept many of her most important notes hidden. The Rainbow Messenger proved to be a failure and she soon busied herself with her next experiment which she had began calling The Rainbow of Light.

Whispers of her research reached far and it soon drew the attention of very old enemies of the ponies that had remained in hiding. With the Canterlot on the verge of a revolution the Centaurs found it safe to move and they stormed Midnight's Castle. Their siege was fast and none had seen them coming until they were at the gates. Midnight's guards and pupils were slaughtered and Midnight was tortured until she gave up the secret to her Rainbow Messenger before her all life faded from her eyes. The Centaurs searched the castle and one found scraps of research hinting at the possibility of taking the Rainbow Messenger further, not only altering their thoughts but changing their vary bodies to suit the needs of the caster. This was brought to the young Centaur leader, who was known by the ancient title Tirac. Tirac was gifted in both strength and magic and quickly twisted the Rainbow Messenger to suit his needs. He called it, the Rainbow of Darkness and he used it to turn the surviving unicorns into Stratadons. These creatures were violent, mindless beasts and their thoughts became shackled to Tirac's will.

Mysteria soon heard of the tragedy and immediately he gathered the academy for an attack against the centaurs. The arrived at night, with their cloaks of black they silently slid through the shadows and into the castle, but the Centaurs were ready and ponies did not know of the creatures Tirac had created. The battle was fierce and the losses on both sides were great but the Unicorn mages soon pushed the remaining Centaurs from the castle. Most of the mages had been killed, Mysteria had been slain by one of Tirac's Stratadons, while Historia had been badly wounded. Arcana had received a few minor wounds and he quickly ordered that his mother be taken back to the safety of Canterlot. Tirac had escaped and he took with him the Rainbow of Darkness.

Arcana sifted through the destruction to find his sister's research. Most had been destroyed but Arcana found some hidden tomes that chronicled the end of his sister's experiments and found her research on the Rainbow Messenger. At the very end he found notes on his sisters newest experiment that she hadn't been able to start. With the Rainbow Messenger research and these new notes he may have found a way to counter Tirac's dark spell. It took days but soon he had perfected the spell that should defeat the Rainbow of Darkness.

As expected, Tirac returned. His numbers had been reduced to him, two of his soldiers and a few Stratadons. The Centaurs were savage and would not be defeated so easily. They broke through the first lines of defense but when he came into the main hall a flash of light crashed into the closest Stratadon, there was an explosion of light and the Stratadon had been turned back into a Unicorn. The light jumped around the room erratically, almost playfully. Tirac was not amused and he loosed the Dark Rainbow and the two danced about the room in battle. Arcana and Tirac will's struggled and they both remained motionless, completely focused on directing the fight between light and dark. The fight remained a stalemate and soon both sides saw the futility and called back their spells. Tirac took a moment to survey the scene. His stratadons had been changed back to Unicorns, one of his soldiers was dead and the other was wounded. He was ferocious but not stupid. He called for a retreat and he fled the castle again taking the Rainbow of Darkness with him. Arcana and the mages dug in and prepared for another attack but none came.

Arcana returned to Canterlot to not only find his mother in critical condition but the city itself was on edge, ready to turn against the governing body. Arcana was hurt and tired, he made his way through the tense city to the academy and finally to his mother's side. A Centaur had crushed her front leg and punctured her lungs and spine with his spear. She wheezed painfully and Arcana felt useless again. He had lost his father and sister to the Centaurs and he was about to lose his mother as well. When the moon shone in the sky Historia woke up and asked for paper and writing utensil. On the paper she wrote out the secret Lunar Arts. She wanted Arcana to take on the responsibility of the Moon. He refused but his mother simply smiled and closed her eyes. Her wheezing stopped and her breaths became still. In silence he took the paper, he knew the importance of what she had wrote and though he was hurting he began to study again. He learned the secrets of the Moon, he had lost his entire family and the city was on the brink of tearing itself apart. He didn't know what to do but he pulled his father books from the shelves in hopes they could give him an idea, with these he made his way to the Castle. He was stopped once but as both the new head of the academy and keeper of the Moon he stood on equal footing as the king and queen. He personally delivered the news of his families destruction.

Condolences were given but the matters of government had to come first for all of them. The Tackracy had to be dealt with and the common ponies had to be put back at ease. The first problem was the King and Queen had not produced any heirs, the Queen was found to be barren and the next heir had been secretly chosen from their closest kin. His name was Carnelian, a Pegasus, and he had already been taught the Solar Arts and was being groomed to take over the throne. All that could be done was to show the people what the Tackracy was really doing and restore the common ponies faith in their King and Queen.

Behind closed doors the King and Queen, with the help of Arcana and Prince Carnelian, they plotted ways to show the ponies the Tackracy for what it was. Finally they settled on a simple plan. Arcana would watch the Tackracy and then send whispers of it's corruption out into the ears of the common ponies, whispers of hidden agendas and how they hold the King and Queen almost as prisoners to keep them from talking to the ponies. This they would allow to sit in the minds of everypony until the Summer Sun Festival where, while King Quasar displayed his mastery of the Sun to bring hope to everyone, Queen Nova would try to descend into the crowd. If the Tackracy stopped her it would be out for everyone to see, if they did not she would be able to find distraught ponies and begin restoring faith to individuals who would hopefully see through the screen they had put between everyone. Prince Carnelian would keep an eye on the Tackracy, to them he was a silly royal family member with no power, he could safely watch them and if they had any plans he would alert Arcana immediately. They all went their separate ways to carry out their part of the plan. It was simple but hopefully it would work.

It was easy to spread words of dissent among the already agitated ponies. Arcana handled his affairs and every so often would let slip things he had noticed about their current government. Mostly through questions he spread doubt and it wasn't long before everypony was talking. Prince Carnelian watched the group of nobles closely but they were so caught up in their attempt to control and organize the people against the King and Queen they barely talked about little else. When the Summer Sun Festival came the entire city felt the extreme tension. Even if their plan didn't work, something was going to happen today. As everyone gathered in the dark morning to watch their King, the Queen tried to descend the stairs into the crowd. She was met by two guards who tried to gently suggest she stayed where she was. In a slightly louder voice than necessary she told the guards, equally gently, that she would be fine and that she wanted to see her subjects. As the guards tried to convince her otherwise they began to draw the attention of other ponies. All eyes were drawn to the scene as the guards began to lose patience with the calm demeanor of the Queen. Silence fell through the crowd as one guard finally snapped and yelled for the Queen to stay put. The Queen looked upon the sea of faces that were harboring anger and had heard whispers of such things. In a flash one of the ponies from the crowd jumped to a nearby stage and pointed out the goings on, he talked passionately of the corruption that they could now all see. As the ponies listened the Queen again asked the guards to let her pass. With the situation as it was the guards had no choice. She made her way to the stage and stood next to the pony that spoke so openly. With soothing words she told of how her and her husband had been prisoners in their own castle and as she told the ponies this the King made his way into the sky and slowly brought the sun up.

The hearts of the ponies were lifted and they all rallied around their Queen. They marched themselves to the palace where they all pushed into the great hall where the Tackracy met. The group had been warned by a guard but they were not ready for the sheer numbers that now crowded into the castle. They nervously tried to answer the questions that were hurled at them from the crowd. They all knew that one wrong word could send these ponies into a riot. As they were questioned, ponies broke away from the main crowd and began to search the castle. They quickly discovered their submitted requests for audience with the King and Queen neatly piled in a large trash bin. This was dragged to them alongside the letters of concern that had been marked “rubbish” in big red letters. The Tackracy saw that they could not quell what was before them now, they pleaded for mercy. They told of the seduction of power and how it easily had twisted them into what they were. The ponies did not believe this and they stripped the nobles of their titles. The Tackracy was dismantled and the people again could freely talk to their beloved rulers.

Time went by and the city was at ease. The fate of the Moon family had been told and the city mourned the loss alongside Arcana who was able to finally get his family affairs in order. The King and Queen told of their inability to produce and heir and they introduced Prince Carnelian as their chosen successor. The ponies loved the Pegasus Prince but they were hesitant to let the powers shift so much so quickly. Arcana again walked the streets and listened to the concerns. He now had time to study more of his mother and father's books and soon he found an answer. Arcana himself could produce no heirs either, his final battle with Tirac had taken away this ability, but he didn't know any he believed to be ready to take on the challenge of the Lunar Arts.

Arcana again met with the King and Queen and this time he told them he could help him and the Queen create legitimate heirs for the Moon and Sol line. His research suggested away to create children who would be directly connected to the Sun and Moon. Children of the Sacred Arts could stand among the people for as long as the two orbs encircled their globe. There was a catch. The current rulers of the spheres would have to sacrifice the power and infuse it with their very life to help it grow. The children born would be immortal and would be taught to rule over Equestria justly. The King and Queen were hesitant at first but as they felt age upon them and they looked at the hungry eyes of the nobles they knew it would be the safest option. The King agreed to give his life but Prince Carnelian would not here of it. He told the king that the children would need both of them to teach them all the things they needed to know. He had been taught the Solar Arts and he would give his life. They argued but the Prince could not be swayed. They agreed and prepared for the ritual.

Arcana set his affairs in order with the academy, he spent days talking to the top students and he had chosen a new Academy head. A young filly that reminded him of his sister by the name of Starlight Sparkle. She was of the first line that descended from the mixing of the Sol and Moon family and Arcana saw great promise in their line.

When the time had come he silently took leave of the academy, he was not one for long goodbyes. He made his way to the castle and met with the Prince outside, together they made their way into the empty hall and there they met the King and Queen. He had outlined the ritual for the King who was to perform it. Carnelian and Arcana sat and waited as the King began, slowly they began to feel tired as their life and magic was drained from them and transferred to the queen. They closed their eyes and slipped into their eternal sleep. It was said they passed in protection of Canterlot and they were recorded as Heroes. Arcana was buried alongside his family and Prince Carnelian was entombed in the Royal crypt with the rulers of the past.

The Queen grew heavy with child. From the union of Unicorn and Pegasus the two children were born. Two little Alacorns were brought into a world that had not seen this race for thousands of years. A white filly with a rose mane and a deep blue filly with the night sky in her hair. They were named Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They were taught to uphold truth and honor and they frequently made trips into the city and they grew up not only in the castle but among the people. The ponies of Canterlot loved their new Princesses and everypony felt like they were their own family as well. They traveled Equestria, to each pony city, as they grew meeting the inhabitants of their land. With their help all the ponies grew to know each other and peace quickly spread through the Equestria.

The offspring of Tirac returned once more with his Rainbow of Darkness, but with the help of ponies and some of the hidden humans he was defeated. The Rainbow of Darkness and the Rainbow of Light were sealed into gems and became known as the Elements of Harmony and the Elements of Discord.

The humans that had survived Salendar and Alexis' madness did not remain hidden. Most came out either attempting to fulfill revenge against the ponies who they blamed for their destruction, but some tried to nurture peace. The greater number of humans were greedy and simply sought power.

The Academy did not last long without the guidance of the Moon family. It quickly became a place to compete with magic and the ponies began producing more dangerous spells. It was closed but their magic was not lost.

Many stories of the past have been lost. The race of the Alacorn was all but forgotten, and Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were looked upon as special, almost god-like beings.

It wasn't long before the old family lines were mixed and finally lost altogether. Few had family names and even fewer, if any, knew what they meant.

We come to the end of our tale. The ponies were at peace with each other, but there were still those who would try and break it.

© 2011 skratch234


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on July 29, 2011
Last Updated on July 29, 2011

Author

skratch234
skratch234

CA



About
Not much to say really. Just a college student looking for some feedback and the random things i come up with. more..

Writing
Breath In Breath In

A Poem by skratch234


Angels Angels

A Story by skratch234