Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by SkyThief

The large, ominous building in front of me sent chills up my spine, the cool fall wind not helping in the slightest. I let out a deep breath as I pulled my red form fitting pea coat tightly around my curvy body and trudged forward, the wind whipping my long auburn hair around my face. The chills taking over my body slowed down my pace as my new Blackberry let out a shrill ring, alerting me that I only had 5 minutes to make it to my appointment.


Today will not be good, I predicted, my eyes scanning the enormous brick building that had been taunting me this entire time. It sprawled out across lush green grounds, the entire property it sat on fenced off by a thick forest. The main building itself was covered in curling vines, only adding to the sophistication of it all. This mountain-like structure was flanked by what I could only assume to be dormitories, the rest hidden in early morning fog.


With one last curious scan of my surroundings, I let out a deep huff and convinced myself to push forward up the cement steps and into the bustling building, choosing to ignore my nerves. Lucky for me, all I found behind the heavy oak door were countless stares, dropped jaws, and cat calls coming from an abnormally large hoard of nicely dressed boys.


"Oh hush," I muttered to myself as a blush made its way across my freckled face. Trying to hide my uncertainty of the situation, I adjusted my posture and continued across the elegant lobby towards what was labeled as the office. With vain, I began to throw my weight against yet another oak door when it would not open, my weight not helping me in the slightest.


"Looks like you're having issues. Need a hand?" came a deep voice from behind me. The silky sound stopped me in my tracks. My cheeks turned an even darker shade of crimson as I turned to see one of the watching boys making his way over to me, his dark emerald eyes only adding to the jellification of my legs.


I stood in place, gaping like a fish I'm sure, as the dark-haired Adonis neared me. His maroon blazer was cut perfectly across his broad shoulders and did wonders with accenting his chiselled jaw and bronze skin. He walked with a powerful lope, taking control of his surroundings while maintaining a regal air. Needless to say, I was having some problems controlling my blood pressure. The s**t-eating smirk plastered on his face told me he was quite aware of what this small encounter was doing to my false composure.


"Well…" Handsome prompted. I tried to regain what dignity I had left and my last train of thought before I straightened myself in front of him.


"I am perfectly capable, thank you," I retorted with what I was hoping to be a strong voice, turning back towards the door and giving another shove. The action triggered a wave of deep laughter from the boys around me, my insecurity spiking.


"I guess I shouldn't tell you that you're supposed to pull, then, should I?" he questioned, a smile weaving its way through his lovely voice.


I let out a cough and muttered an 'I knew that' before swiftly yanking on the door and hurrying my way into the office, my pride unable to take anymore blows from this incredibly beautiful being.


Slick, Riley. Real slick, I scolded myself as I entered the cosy room, a glow cast by a fireplace warming the area. A woman sat at a sturdy red oak desk to the left of me while a group of armchairs were situated around the fireplace in a semi-circle. Directly in front of me was a hall, more oak doors adorning the space.


Plastering a smile on my face, I turned towards the woman behind the desk and spoke in a hushed tone, afraid to disturb the peaceful environment.


"'Ello, madam, I'm Riley Huntington. Mrs. Bruder said to check in with you so she could be informed of my arrival," I said, the mousy woman offering only a sneer in my direction before picking up her phone and paging the headmaster. I decided then would be a perfect time to pardon myself from the uncomfortable situation, unsure of what I had done to receive such a gracious welcome. So far Maine was climbing higher on my "Places to Burn" list.


I had just comfortably curled myself into a corner of an armchair, the warmth of the fireplace radiating over me when a stumpy, slightly rotund woman appeared before me. Her dirty blonde hair was pulled into a severe bun at the back of her head while her body was cloaked in a sharply cut dress suit. She looked like what I imagined my nana to look like with fifty extra pounds and countless generations of wealth under her belt.


"Ms. Huntington, I presume," the woman said as I quickly scrambled to my feet to shake her hand. As her hand firmly grasped mine, a group of four boys made their way into the office, immediately striking up a conversation with the crotchety woman behind the desk. If it were not for their eyes not-so-subtly wandering over to where I stood shaking the headmaster's hand, it would be almost plausible that they were there with a reason other than snooping.


Coming to the same conclusion I had, Mrs. Bruder looked to me with a faint smile on her lips. "I suggest we proceed with the rest of our appointment in my office." She looked to them, her facial expression knowing. "Good morning, gentlemen. Please excuse us."


As I spoke a quiet agreement, she led me down the dimly lit hallway. Behind us the boys burst into whispers, our distance fading them out. She stopped in front of a door to our right at the very end of the hall, turning the knob and pushing the door open.


Behind the door was a fairly sizeable office, full floor to ceiling bookshelves covering two of the four walls. Her desk was placed in the middle of the room while a fireplace took up the space of a 3rd wall behind her area. She led me into her office and gestured for me to sit in one of the two large chairs situated in front of her desk.


While she made her way to her own chair and pulled up my information on her laptop, my eyes wandered around the room. Light was provided by one desk lamp on the corner of her desk and one tall light in the back corner of her office. The fourth wall was taken up by the door we had walked through and multiple degrees and certificates hanging from the walls or framed on one of two side tables.


My head snapped back towards her as I heard her clear her throat. My eyes met her own as her hands came together to rest on her desk in front of her. "So, Riley, we finally meet at last," she said.


I let out a deep breath as I finally relaxed into the chair. "Yes. I must say, it would have been much easier to interview you than the school board. They're intimidating." I offered her a timid smile as she let out a chuckle.


"You really are charming, Riley. They told me you would be a perfect fit and I agree with their decision. However, we really must get to business. As you are well aware, you are here strictly based on your academic performance. I understand that your position on our soccer team is crucial, but your scholarship requires a C average. Any lower than that for more than two weeks and you will be dropped from the team until it can be mended. If your average is like that at the end of any quarter, we will have to take away your scholarship."


A cold settled over my body as Mrs. Bruder's words set in. I'm here for real. This is my one shot and I have no room to f**k up, I told myself. I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding in and sat up in my seat.


"Don't get too worked up. We're here to help you. Always remember that we need you as much as you need us. Your participation in our school is a key element in our future and we will look for feedback from you regularly. Being the first girl in Oakwood Academy will present obstacles that we feel you will be suited for. However, I feel that there may be one that will surprise you. When the boys were informed of your arrival, they were only told that they be meeting a Riley Huntington, a key to our school. Many of them are unaware of your… gender. That might explain the excitement the boys exhibited when you arrived this morning." Mrs. Bruder offered a hesitant smile towards me, yet another blush creeping across my face. I was beginning to hate Maine. England never made me blush this much. Man up, for Christ's sake!


"I… I'm just grateful for being here. I'll just have to deal with what you throw at me," I said, returning her smile in hopes of making her feel better. Mrs. Bruder was a nice woman and I envied her for being able to put up with hundreds of teenage boys each day and maintain such a kind demeanor.


"I was hoping you would say that. Now I don't want to keep you too much longer. Here-" she said as she handed over a folder containing my schedule, room assignment, room key, and other miscellaneous information."-are your essentials. With the school year already in session, we've had to room you with one of the other students, but if there are problems, we can find a way to room you by yourself."


"I think I'll try it," I said as I took the folder from her. Paper clipped to the front was my schedule. Considering the fact that it was already 10 o'clock, I had missed my first period. When I finished unpacking my things, it would be well into the last block of the day.


I closed the binder and looked back up at Mrs. Bruder, excitement starting to fill my body. After wrapping up our conversation, she gave me one final handshake before wishing me luck.



© 2010 SkyThief


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very interesting. I'd like to read more of it. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


AWESOME. You NEED to write more! I love this~ It's nicely writen. I'll be watching and waiting. :P

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 31, 2010
Last Updated on January 31, 2010


Author

SkyThief
SkyThief

About
Hello! My name as far as you all know is Sky and I'm here to get my writing out to the world. I have ridiculous aspirations of actually finishing one of my novels someday (laughable, right?) while .. more..

Writing