I can't get enuff

I can't get enuff

A Story by Lilith Driscol
"

Two boys are forced to run away together to escape the prejudices of their town.

"

            “I’ll come back. I swear; I’ll come back as soon as I’m able to.” I continued holding onto my little brother as if I was holding on for dear life. “I swear, there is nothing that could possibly keep me from coming back. Don’t worry. I’ll come back. I’ll come back just for you, okay?” I kept repeating the same lines. I couldn’t stand looking at him like this. He had tears dripping down his face and he was crying so badly he couldn’t even manage to speak. I had to try to stop his tears somehow. “I’ll definitely be back.”

            “Don’t go brother.” I could barely understand what he was saying, but I managed to make out those two words. That was all he’d been saying for the past five minutes.

            “I’m sorry. I have to go. I swear; I won’t be gone for that long. I’ll come back for you. Just for you...” So that I can take you away from here, I finished that statement in my head.

            I have no idea how long we must have stayed like that- me kneeling on the floor hugging his small body as close to my own as I could; and him hanging onto me with all of his might. The two of us crying like newborns.

            Our parents were asleep and I was supposed to have left a while ago, but I knew that I couldn’t leave without saying anything to Jordan. He was the only person I loved more than Lucas. I couldn’t let him think that something had happened to me.

            I know it would have been so much easier if I had just left and never bothered to wake him up. But I needed him to know how much I loved him. I couldn’t let him grow up thinking that I hated him. He was only three, so I could only imagine the things he could think. “My brother ran away because he hated me.” or “My brother is never coming back.” or “I could have stopped my brother…if only I had been nicer to him.”

            There was no way I could let him think any of those things. That’s why for the past half hour I’ve been kneeling here, telling him how much I love him, and that I would be coming back as soon as I felt I could.

            I glanced at my watch, and I saw that it was already three A.M. Damn, I’ve been here way too long. I knew that Lucas would be waiting for me at the bus station. The bus didn’t leave until four, but we figured it would be safer if we met before then.

            “I’m sorry, kiddo, but I really have to go now. I love you. You know that. Don’t ever forget that.” I really couldn’t believe I’d be leaving this kid for who knows how long. “I swear I’ll be back. I love you so, so much.” I kissed him on the top of his head as I stood up. “Don’t worry. Just go back to sleep.” I said as I laid him back in his bed.

            He looked at me with those little tear-filled eyes, and it was almost too much to stand. I was almost willing to stay here just for him, but I knew that wasn’t really an option. It never really was.

            “Could you just do me one favor, kid?” I looked straight into his eyes, and I swear it was probably the worst thing I could have possibly done at that moment, but I knew it was necessary.

            He nodded his head ever so slightly.

            “Could you please just go back to sleep nicely, and please, please, please, don’t tell anything to mom and dad. I know that they’re going to ask you in the morning if you know what happened, but please, just don’t say anything. Tell them that you slept straight through the whole night.” I could see the understanding in his eyes as he nodded again, this time with slightly more conviction. “I know that I’m asking a lot of you, but I know that you can do this.” I kissed him once more on his forehead.

            “I love you, brother.” His words were just barely audible, and I know that it took a lot of effort to get those words out through his tears. The look on his face and his frail voice were heart-breaking.

            “I love you too, Jordan. I love you so much.”

            And with that I slowly turned around and walked out his door. I pulled it closed behind me, but I made sure I left it open ever so slightly so that a bit of light could slip through. Just the way he always made us leave his door.

            It was 3:10 now, and I knew that Lucas would be wondering where the heck I was. We had decided to meet at 2:45, but I knew he would understand.

            I went into Jordan’s room at about 2:25, and I thought I’d given myself plenty of time to say goodbye. Apparently, I’d been horribly mistaken.

            I walked through my house towards the front door, for what I knew would be the last time for quite a while. I could feel the hot tears running down my face as I thought of how much I would miss this house and especially Jordan. I had lived in this house all my life, so there was going to be plenty I’d miss.

            As I got to the door, I turned the handle with extra care, so as to not make any noise. I pulled the door open, walked out and locked the door behind me, making sure to put my key in my back pocket.

            I grabbed my duffel bag from the bush to my right and started walking towards the bus station. I had put the duffel bag there before I went to say bye to Jordan, so that I wouldn’t have to carry it all throughout my house with me. This bag had everything I figured I would need. My iPod, it’s charger, my phone charger, a book or two, a notebook and a few pens, and a picture of Jordan that I’d taken just a few weeks ago. And, of course, as much clothing as I could fit in it.

            I pulled my phone out of my pocket to put it back on vibrate. I’d turned the sound completely off while I was saying goodbye to Jordan, so that nothing could interrupt our last few moments together. As I opened it I saw that I had about six missed calls and two new voicemails. Of course every single one of those was from Lucas. I didn’t bother listening to the voicemails. I knew he was just wondering what was taking me so long.

            I highlighted his name in my missed calls and hit “send.” It only rang once before he picked up.

            “Damien? Are you okay? What happened? Did you get caught?” His voice seemed to get more panicked with each question he asked.

            “Relax.” I said in reply.

            He completely ignored my response, and just kept rambling. “Oh, god! You got caught didn’t you! Your parents woke up and saw you leaving and now our whole plan is ruined. Oh, god! How’d this happen? What are we going t-”

            “Lucas! I said relax! Nothing happened, I swear. I was just saying bye to Jordan.” I think my voice cracked a little at his name.

            “Oh, god. I’m sorry. Are you okay? Is he?” Yep, my voice had cracked, and now Lucas knew that our farewell hadn’t gone as smoothly as possible.

            “Everything’s fine. I mean, it’s not like I expected any of this to be easy or anything. I’m sure we’ll both be fine; nothing to worry about.” I knew I was just saying that to make myself feel better, and it wasn’t really working.

            “I’m sure you’re right. Everything will be fine. I mean, I can’t really sympathize, but I’m sure this must be really hard for you.” I knew that Lucas had no idea what I was going through. He didn’t have any siblings. He didn’t even have a father.

            “Okay, well, I’m almost to the bus station. I’ve just got four or five more blocks to go and then I’ll be there, alright?”

            “Do you want me to come meet you? I will if you want me to. Just say the word.” I knew if I said yes, he’d be standing in front of me in about a minute.

            “Nah, that’s okay. You just find somewhere to sit and wait for me. I’ll be right there.” I needed some time to myself. I didn’t feel like I was ready to see him just yet, and I really needed to think about everything that was going on, even just a little bit.

            “Fine. I’ll wait here. But you should really try to hurry. The bus is coming in, like, twenty minutes.”

            “Alright. Don’t worry. I’ll be there any minute. Bye.”

            “Bye. See you real soon.” And with that I closed my phone. I made sure to put it on vibrate before I put it back in my pocket, though.

            I kept my pace pretty slow. That way I would have a little more time to think before I met up with Lucas.

            I know that this is the only way. I know that there’s not really another choice. This isn’t just some spur of the moment decision. We’ve been planning this for almost two months now. And before that we’d spent close to four months trying to think of another way. But we came up with nothing. We know that nobody here agrees with our relationship. Everyone in this whole dumb town has pretty much condemned us. If it were still possible in this day and age, I’m pretty sure we’d have been excommunicated.

            Ha! They would probably even damn us.

            Even my own parents couldn’t just let us be. They tried to get me to break up with Lucas every single chance they got.

            Lucas’s mother didn’t really seem to have an opinion on us one way or another, but occasionally, when we were at his house I would see her make a disgusted face. Sure, it would be if we were holding hands, or if Lucas leaned over to whisper something in my ear, but that still pissed me off.

            Only two blocks to go, and I felt much better already. I just needed to remind myself there was no way around this.

            Most people were convinced we were just going out for the attention, but others knew that we hated the attention. We were never the types of people to crave attention.

            My parents tried to convince themselves it was just a fling. They told me that I shouldn’t take our relationship too seriously because we were just teenagers.

            I know that our relationship is real and I know that I want to make sure it lasts. Whatever that may take. We’ve been dating for almost two years now. Although everyone in our town thinks it’s only been a year. We, of course, kept our relationship top secret at first, but we decided it was just too much work. And I mean, really, I don’t think my parents were buying it anymore that I had a new school project every week and I was always partnered with the same guy.

             Okay, so maybe I’m not the most creative guy around, but it didn’t really matter. It’s not like I was doing badly in school or anything.

            Damn, I’m almost at the end of the block. I just have to turn one more corner and I’ll be at the bus station.

            We’ve got everything planned out. We’re moving out of state, which sounds pretty intense, but we only lived about 2 hours from the state border anyway. So, it’s really only going to be a six or seven hour drive to our new town. But we do have to switch buses a few times.

We already found an apartment to live in and Lucas set everything up so that it would be ready for us to move into. The rent’s cheap and the whole place seems pretty nice. It’s right in the center of town, too. Neither of us were able to find jobs there yet, but I’m sure they won’t be too hard to find. We both managed to save up over a thousand, so even if we don’t find jobs right away, we’ll be set for at least two months.

            Time to turn the corner now. As soon as I do, I see Lucas pacing through the bus stop. Should’ve figured he wouldn’t sit down.

            I speed up, so that I can get to him faster.

            He sees me coming and starts walking towards me. We decided not to be too affectionate until we got to our new apartment. We figured we don’t need old people and hobos glaring at us for the whole bus ride.

            When we meet up, he quickly hugs me. “Hey. Took you long enough.” He says and sticks his tongue out at me.

            I stick mine out at him. “Well, I’m sorry. You know it was necessary. I couldn’t leave without saying bye to Jordan.”

            “I know. I’m just kidding.” I can see he’s trying really hard to restrain himself from holding my hand or something of the like.

            “So, what’ve you been doing this whole time? Please tell me you’ve been doing something other than pacing for the past hour and a half.”

            “Duh! Do you really think I would’ve been pacing for all that time?” He looks appalled that I would even consider him doing such a thing.

            “Not really. I am a little surprised though that you didn’t come hunt me down after I missed all of your calls.” I grin at him because I know that he probably considered walking to my house at least once.

            “Okay, I admit. It was a very tempting idea. But I knew you wouldn’t just leave me standing out here all by myself.” He smiles at me and I realize, yet again, just how cute he is.

            We’re almost in hearing range of the few other insane people waiting for the bus, so I lean over and whisper to him, “You know, your smiling is making it really difficult for me to follow the rule we made of not being affectionate in front of all the strangers at the bus stop.”

            He blushes a little at that statement and then smiles at me again. This time he smiles even wider just to tease me.

            Damn, he’s adorable!

            “You do something else cute, and I’m not going to be held responsible for my actions.” I say, keeping my voice as low as possible.

            “I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.” He continues smiling and looks right at me.

            We stopped just a few feet from one of the benches where an elderly woman is sitting. I let my duffel bag fall from my shoulder and lean it up against a pole. I turn so that I’m facing him now.

            “Oh, you know perfectly well what I’m talking about.” I give him a look as if to say ‘try me.’

            “I really have no idea,” he says as he takes a step closer to me.

“You really shouldn’t tempt me like this. I haven’t seen you in about two days and I really don’t think I could control myself.” I go to take a step backward, so that we’re not as close, but I end up hitting the pole I’d just leaned my duffel bag against.

This makes Lucas giggle and it’s all over. His laugh is the most adorable thing about him. I always tell him that. And I know in this moment, he’s definitely using it on purpose.

I step forward once again and kiss him right on the lips. His arms are immediately around my waist. I put my right hand on his cheek and my left is in his hair. His lips part slightly and I slip my tongue in between them. His tongue quickly finds mine and he takes over. Our tongues fight for control of this kiss, but before long we both need to pull away for some air.

We’re both slightly panting and I’m afraid to even think about the looks the people around us are probably giving us.

This is going to be one long bus ride.

© 2010 Lilith Driscol


Author's Note

Lilith Driscol
I was randomly inspired to write this at 3 in the morning, so if it starts getting a little weirder towards the end, now you understand why.
I only intended to write a little prologue that would've been just the first couple chapters, but I liked it too much, so I just kept writing.
Let me know what you think of this story; if you like the idea, how I could improve it, and if you think I should actually try making it into a story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well written.. keep up the good work :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think you know who this is. :] From a creative standpoint: This is brilliant! The confusion and mystery you create concerning exactly who this guy is and what he's doing is awesome, and my mouth kind of dropped when I realized it was a man running away with another man. (I should've seen that coming, huh?) I'm so sympathetic to Damien's issues, and I would LOVE to see what would happen to two gay teenagers trying to make it out in the cold, cruel world. D:

From a syntactical standpoint: Choose a tense and stick with it! I can't tell if you're writing in the past or present, and you are most certainly pulling a "me." xD As a suggestion, I like hearing this story from a present tense, but you could always write the bulk of it in past tense and save the present tense for his own thoughts. It's a simple mistake to make, hence why I do it all the time. :x

ME WANT MORES.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this story! It's so adorable. I think you should make it into a story. I really want to learn more about Damien and Lucas!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 29, 2010
Last Updated on July 29, 2010
Tags: prejudice, escape, love

Author

Lilith Driscol
Lilith Driscol

Long Island, NY



About
"It's always the quiet ones." This is apparently the story of my life...or so everyone else says. I'm really insane, but really only when I'm with my friends. Otherwise, I'm extremely quiet and most p.. more..

Writing