The Sandcastle

The Sandcastle

A Poem by Evan Scott
"

Drawing an analogy to a sandcastle and absurdism

"
Life is absurd, in the fact that it can be taken so effortlessly. In the fact that we search for divinity and purpose in a universe indifferent to our existence. Life is absurd because there is rape, and murder. There is love and lust, and hate and greed. Life is absurd because it is fragile, like a sandcastle, moments before high tide. 
The sandcastle was built with care, and delicacy. Not all sand castles are the same. Some may take hours of sweat and perseverance, while some may take 10 minutes of stomping and kicking. Either way, by the time the tide sets in, they will be washed to the same pile of sopping, wet, muddy goop. 
True wealth is being able to spend your time as you'd like to. 
That is much more difficult to come across than the dollar. 
As the grains of golden sand fall rapidly through your fingers they seem to be filled with every potential and desirable shape by the one who builds the castle, but this is false. This sand has its shape in time, not your beach alone. 
Some carbon atoms have diamonds within them, embedded in their future.
You have achievements embedded in your future. They are universally meaningless and will not ever change the fact that your mortality will set in one day.
From an earthly standpoint, however, these achievements, however mundane or great they may be, will be yours, and as insignifcant as they may be to anyone else, or the universe they will follow you to the grave. 
Maybe, the destination, is the journey

© 2017 Evan Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the end, life IS the sandcastle... we enter as innocents, ready to play but - life has its own plans, its own rules, its own absurdities. We stand on shifting ground start to finish: your words elaborate on that smoothly, logically but perhaps intentionally allow your readers and Self to think further..

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 7, 2017
Last Updated on February 7, 2017
Tags: life, mortality, humanity, humans, nature, existence, meaning, purpose, divinity, spirituality, death, suffering, loss

Author

Evan Scott
Evan Scott

Toledo, OH



About
Musician, writer, filmmaker. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..