Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Abandoned

Abandoned

A Poem by Smriti Shandil
"

This is a little tale of an unpublished book...lost and forgotten..

"
In the ocean of papers and binds,
With large desks and larger blinds.
Smothered with murmurs and silences of its kind,
Seeking the reek of human flesh, an alien touch of any kind.
It lies in a crevice, unnoticed by mankind,
Waiting and waiting for a miraculous find.
Years it has been, or so it feels.
When a pair of eyes, envisioned its seams.
It lies there waiting, with a story to tell,
Dungeons and dragons and castles and cells.
The wrath of time, hath hit it hard.
Withered are its pages, with many a bard.
Depressed and lost, it hears all noises,
Clicking and flicking and changing their poises.
Still lying there, dreaming of its find,
Abandonment in its fate, destined to face its plight.

© 2015 Smriti Shandil


Author's Note

Smriti Shandil
This particular piece of poetry is something that some people have loved and some people have disliked. Also, mostly my critiques have told me that my writing style is vague, but then again, I am a private person...vagueness helps me set up a facade! Anyway, hopefully you like this, feel free to drop your reviews, feedback is always welcome. That's how I'll learn!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I truly enjoyed this poem. It is really great. I wanted to read it all. To hear every word in this story you just told. I loved the way it sounded with the rhymes, and I loved the way it flowed. You wrote an entertaining poem here. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Fantastic poem, I felt like the rhymes were generally clever and interesting if a bit inconsistent, which is fine. I didn't mind that the rhyme scheme sort of meandered about, sometimes it didn't rhyme at all, sometimes it had rhymes at the end of the line and sometimes in the middle. it felt natural and flowed well regardless. But having "kind" at the end of a line 3 times in a row like that is a little much for me, even if it's not really meant to rhyme. It just feels somewhat repetitive and distracting.

The whole thing comes across as generally clever and witty to me. The poem seems to be about a book sitting on some dusty shelf in a library somewhere waiting for somebody to 'find' it and enjoy its contents. Very imaginative and evocative language being used as well, for example:

"Clicking and flicking and changing their poises."

'changing their poises' in particular is great. The subtle sound of peoples clothes rustling as they adjust themselves in their seats to get more comfortable. That can only be noticed in very quiet environments, like a library for example. It vividly conjures memories and images in my head by connecting with that subtle little observation. Also the rhyme is a clever word choice, I never would have thought to use that word there.

Also your word choice is nice too, that's something I struggle with. "envisioned its seams. " I would have probably written as "looked at it's seams" or something equally as mundane. I'm always impressed and a bit jealous when I see people with the ability to write such flowery language.

Really enjoyed reading this it feels dense and lean. No lazy/filler lines everything feels well thought out and 'hand crafted' if that makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Smriti Shandil

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. Your appraisal means a lot. You sound like a well read person. Would really app.. read more
Cody

8 Years Ago

I saw your other poem but chose not to comment on it as it's obviously deeply personal and so I feel.. read more
This is something of the kind I like. Good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Finally I got here! I really like how the piece is a full package of awesome scheming with words... Also it captures emotions splendidly. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vague or not, I like your style and how you elude to certain things without coming straight out and telling
everything there is to know. You allow the reader's imagination to fill in the missing pieces. Great job and great writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your writing is as good as it gets!
I am eager to see more content from you.
P.S you deserve a lot of attention

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

363 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 23, 2015
Last Updated on October 23, 2015
Tags: Melancholy, abandonment, destiny, helplessness

Author

Smriti Shandil
Smriti Shandil

India



About
I'm a student, freelance writer, voracious reader, dreamer, aspiring journalist, and as you must have guessed..my fields of interest revolve around reading writing and fantasising. That's what I live .. more..

Writing