Mind Thief

Mind Thief

A Story by SmugTraveler
"

A short story I wrote in grade 12. My first work of fantasy.

"
Mind Thief
Trial
I open my eyes, darkness I see. Only darkness, maybe if I was to move I could feel around this room and give myself a better idea of where I am. What if this isn't a room? Maybe it's quite larger. I can't tell. I don't feel any breeze so where ever I am it must be inside. I start to feel warm. I notice a small light. It looks as if someone had just lit a candle, but its not a candle, just the flame. It starts to burn brighter then, a loud crack. 
"Darius." What was that! That sounded like someone had yelled my name! 
"Hello?" I asked .
"If you do not make the right decision, everyone will have to pay for your mistake." spoke the light. The light sounded like a young women. 
"Where am I?!" I demanded. "Who are you!" The light dimmed, then began to burn even brighter then before. The light spoke to me again, not as if it was responding to me, but as if it didn't even hear my question. 
"Darius, you must understand the responsibility you have been given. The life of this world rest on your shoulders." said the light, louder then it was speaking before.
"What responsibility?! Where am I and who are you!" I yelled. I didn't realize until now that the voice of this flame sounded very familiar. Who is this? Was this some type of trick? I will not have it. I started to concentrate, fist clenched, jaw locked. Before anything could happen I was swept off my feet by some invisible force. The flame turned from a bright red, to a dark mysterious purple. As I managed to let out a slight wimper I realized I was floating above the ground, it looked as a cave giant had me by the ankle. 
"Darius, do not test me. I will hurt you." stated the voice, this time not in the light's usual high voice. The voice has changed, it was much deeper now. As if it was not coming from an older man. The flame changed from the dark mysterious purple to a blinding white. The room immediately changed from its darkness to nothing, white. Where was I? I was floating being held by nothing, or maybe I was falling. I couldn't tell. Before I knew it I appeared in a body of water. It was as if I was deep in the ocean, however there was no life, no visible ground or any structures. Just water, I was drowning. I tried to take control of the situation again. I clenched my fist together and focused. I started to visualize myself standing on a hill, on grass. Then before I could even decide if that's where I wanted to go I appeared high in the sky, falling. I was dropping fast to the same grassy hill I had just imagined. I started to remember what I was doing here, what I was supposed to be doing. As my body came closer to the earth's surface I remember everything. The last thought I have in my mind as my bones are crushed against the earth is, I have failed. 
Awake
I wake up. Blindings lights confuse me as I try to identify the voices I can hear in conversation. Soft bed, the bright light coming in from the large window across the room from the door. I must be in the guild infirmary. How long was I out? Probably only a few minutes. My head doesn't hurt too much.
"I told you he wasn't ready!" yelled the young women.
"It's my fault he can't even pass a trial ritual. The kids nothing but trouble." declared the man. "I'll be back before nightfall to see if any progress has been made. Until then leave me alone in my chamber." It must be the guild master. Guild master Fox was never the happy go lucky type. I can hear loud footsteps as the guild master leaves the room. Before I have time to realize how disapointed the master is to see another senior student fail, I see the male cleric approach me at my bedside. My vision has finally come back to me, now focused on this cleric.
"Darius, are you right in the mind yet?" asked the cleric. "Joshua, from earlier in the armory." 
Yes, how could I forget about the new cleric who ventured deep down into the armory. If he wasn't in such a hurry maybe he wouldn't have knocked down the swords hanging earlier. Typical nervous newcomer to the guild.
"Yes, I remember you." I softly said. Not because I meant to say it softly, I just feel so drained of energy. Can barely conjure up a shield around my body let alone even think of attempting the trial again. If I needed to defend myself again within the next couple days, It wouldn't end well for me. "How is the frontier?" I gasp. Hands shake as I try to adjust myself on the bed.
"Well, uhm." stuttered Joshua. His frown answers my question well enough. I don't need to be a mind thief to know how often the minotaur scouting parties have been looting villages outside the guild's walls.
"It's ok, I can handle these kind of things. I'm almost a mind thief." I declare. Who am I kidding, I couldn't even hold my ground in my trial. I can only hope Joshua didn't see how pathetic I was.
"You know aswell as any other squire, the minotaur race, is a strong people. The last few months has been quite a shock, with whats been going on with the outside villages and such." explained Joshua.
"It's just a matter of time before Thrall decides to destroy the guild. What other sort of practice can the minotaur armies get before they decide to destroy Alexandria?" I pleaded.
"Many people would turn there head to that Darius, Most people feel very secure within these walls." said Joshua.
The second cleric walked into the room, her name was Emily. Long blonde hair, she was wearing the same green colour that Joshua was wearing. Cleric standard I guess, well there is no way Joshua looked this damn good in his outfit! She looks very familiar, whether thats me actually recognizing her or if I'm just stunned by her looks I'm unsure. No, I had seen her before. In fact I'm almost sure I saw her in my child years. I won't say anything though, I'd rather spare myself the embarresement if I'm wrong. Maybe I'll view this as a new trial, to get me back into shape. I might be able to pull enough energy together to read her mind. It's worth a try.
"Joshua, how is he feeling?" asked the goddess of my dreams.
"He looked great until you walked in Emily. Ask him yourself." joshua laughed as he stood up from the stool and walked out the door. I can only imagine how red in the face I was at the point where she took a seat beside me.
"Darius, can you understand me?" asked Emily.
"Yes, uhm. Yeah." I spoke nervously. What was it about this girl that made me feel like this? Her charm almost made me forget about my little trial I had set up for myself. Lets see if I'm missing anything here. I clench my fist, I try to keep them at the sides of the bed so it's not as noticable. I really need to teach my body how to do this without clenching up my hands. I sweat breaks on my forehead as I try to begin to sneak into Emily's mind without her knowing.
"Is everything alright? You look stressed, maybe I should just leave you alone. After we get through some basic questions first. You know how you're memories can be affected by the trials." said Emily.
"Let us begin then." I said. I can slowly feel her thoughts, I'm in.
"What is you're name?" asked Emily as if she almost had no idea what my name was.
"Darius."
"Okay, how old are you Darius?" asked Emily.
"19, Is this really necessary Emily?" I asked.
As she looked into my eyes with a smile, I finally cracked into her mind. I can know anything I would like. So how did we meet?
I'm hovering above a group of small children, some 5 maybe 6. Three of the children stand out to me right away. Myself, Emily, and Albert. I remember much clearer now, training to pass the trials has almost robbed me of my memories as a child. Emily was my first crush growing up as a young boy, she was the first girl to ever catch my attention. Seeing how it is now, I'd say she is the only women to be able to take my breath away.
"DARIUS!" yelled Emily.
I snap out of her mind, and back into my own.
"Emily, yeah next question!" I yelled encouraging her hoping she didn't realize what just happened. That was close, I didn't realize how weak I was. Did I black out?
"Darius, are you OKAY?" Emily asked seriously. "You closed you're eyes, seemed like you drifted off for a few seconds. Maybe I should just come back later!" stated Emily.
"No, Emily it's okay!" I pleaded.
"Its hard seeing you like this, again." spoke Emily. Tears filling up in her beautiful blue eyes. 
"It's okay, really, I can handle this! It's going to be hard to bring down the king of minotaurs with you worrying about me when I just fail a trial and get a bit beat up." I laughed. 
"Just don't get yourself hurt anymore! Ok kiddo?" Emily said. Part of my wonders, does Emily have any feelings for me? I'd search her mind right now but, I'd rather not.
I come back to my senses and finally start to relax with Emily under the radient light of the sun coming through the window. This is nice, but how long do I have to enjoy this break until more responsibilities come running for me. Just as I open my mouth to speak to Emily, the door slams open hitting the stone wall.
"Joshua?" Emily and I both ask as we see Joshua standing in the doorway pale as a ghost.
"FIRE! We must evacuate the infirmary, come with me quickly!" demanded Joshua.
"Lets get you back on your feet Darius." said Emily as she helped me out of the bed.
It doesn't hurt but it feels like my whole body is numb from the shock. I finally get myself together, the feeling of the soft rabbit fur in my shoe encouraging my toes to move around and feel the warmth. Emily is pretty much dragging me out the door into the hall. Which was once a very organized and quite quiet hall was now a stampede of students both senior, and junior scrambling for the exit towards the battleground.
I can't see much because it hurts to keep my head up, just the feet of the scared students. As we come out of the hall into the clearing I see the entire battleground. We use it to train our senior students into knights. Something that I once wished I would do for awhile until I learned of the mind thiefs. I mean why would I want to walk around the battleground wearing heavy armour with my weapon in my hand, when my mind can simply just be the weapon. You can either get into the guild by going to school here as a child or proving yourself worthy. However I've never actually heard of anyone proving themself worthy to Valor. It must take the head of minotaur king Thrall himself to be accepted. All I can see in the open field of the battleground is an ocean of students and a few Valor members. In the clearing it looks as if the guild master about to say something.
"Attention all students aswell as members of Valor! We have reason to believe the guild has been under attack." declared guild master Fox.
Before Fox can continue, students burst out with questions. Who, where, why. 
"SILENCE!" Commanded Fox. The crowd goes quiet. "Fires were started to cause a distraction, the armory has been hit aswell as the east wall. A minotaur scouting party tried to sneak into the guild and leave with battle plans but we were able to stop them from breaching the walls. No student should ever have fear of a minotaur getting past the wall, it is impossible under the supervision of Valor. The question we must ask ourselves is, who started the fire on the inside to create the distraction? The guild is safe, and all school grounds have already been checked for you're safety. The fire is being taken care of as we speak and I would ask you to all join the guild and the rest of the school in the feast hall for dinner." said Fox as he walked off the battleground with his two Valor gaurds.
"This minotaur buisness is getting serious now isn't it?" I joke to Emily.
"Darius, this really isn't a good time. You know aswell as I do if the minotaurs attacked as a full force Valor wouldn't be able to do anything!" cried Emily.
"It's okay Emily. Lets say they decided to attack, you don't think the king of Alexandria would act fast and crush the minotaurs! You worry to much." I said.
"Maybe you're right Darius, lets just get back inside. I'm getting cold." spoke Emily.
Night
The feast hall is filled with laughter despite earlier events, it seems nothing can demoralize morale when Valor is around. Valor almost tries to hard to make us feel safe, sometimes I wonder what I will be like when I join. Maybe if I could just past my trial I could get it over with. I mean, I'm not irresponsible. Many senior students fail their trial and attempt it a few times. Lets just hope I can succeed my 3rd attempt. 
The meal prepared for me was of high quality. No doubt because of what happened earlier Valor is trying to keep everyone calm. Valor can feed me chicken and fresh bread anytime of the day if thats what they think will make us feel secure.
"Hey Darius, heard you failed the trial again. No suprise there." laughed Albert. A friend of mine, well if he isn't making a fool of himself. 
"I have no doubt your armour fits well, seeing how you are taking great care of your chiseled body." I growl. Albert was a bigger friend of mine, I was there when he tried to get his chest gaurd on and he didn't fit into it anymore. Haven't let it go, I mean why would I? It's really the only comeback I have to any of his comments.
"You know it." Joked Albert as he shoved his face full of bread. I don't even think he had a chance to swallow it until he drowned himself in milk.
A loud thud echoes in the feast hall, the once noisy hall is now quiet as everyone tries to figure out what exactly caused the noise. It didn't take long until a female junior student screamed.
"The window! Someone is hanging from the window!" shreaked the student as he pointed above.
We all look at the body, looks like a Valor scout. A message on the scout's chest. A parchment was attached from an arrow pierced into his body. No doubt from the same villian that tied the rope around the scout's neck. It didn't take long for Valor to have this situation under control. Except for maybe they shouldn't have read the note aloud.
The valor soldier read the note to Fox in front of everyone in the hall.
The note said,
Valor,
The fire wasn't such a success afterall. It was really a test just to see what kind of numbers we are dealing with here. We will attack again, quietly, swiftly. You are no threat to us. We just need to make an example, then King Alduin may take us seriously. We will give you one night to send word to the king, you will make hi re-consider his offer, or you're little castle will perish.
-Thrall
An outbreak of panic erupted in the feast hall. 
Fox and a few of his personal gaurd left the hall, no doubt they are sending word to the king. The faces of the Valor members surrounding the hall are all the same, confusion.
"Darius lets get the hell out of here, I'm done eating anyways." said Albert.
"Okay, lets go. I'm sure Mrs.Smith is going to try to calm the crowd somehow, I just can't stand her lectures." I said.
"Once Mrs.Smith gets on the front platform, Valor won't let us leave so lets get out now!" Albert demanded.
Albert and I leave the feast hall in a hurry in hopes no one will stop us. We don't look back until we are safe in the common rooms. As we sat in the common room lobby I hear a strange voice I don't think I have ever heard. It sounded like a mix between a man and a bear, or some loud animal. 
"Albert listen?" I said quickly.
"What is -" 
"Shut up!" I snap "Listen Albert." 
We hear the voice again. No, multiple voices. We can barely make out what they are saying. Whoever it is, they aren't very educated. 
"Use your little powers Darius!" cried Albert.
"Just shush, I don't know if I have enough energy to try and read a mind without direct contact, I'm still recovering from my trial." I say.
"Darius, please." asked Albert. A look of great concern appeard on his face, he's scared.
"Fine" I agree.
I concentrate, fist clenched, jaw locked. I close my eyes and try to search for the minds close to us. Many thoughts start to jump into my mind, this isn't normal. These things, aren't human. I concentrate harder, I'm able to read their thoughts at ease. I see a plan, a hooded figure telling the minotaurs where to strike. I can't make out much at first of the figure. Then I can start to hear it's voice. ".. Then I shall light the fire, you will attack the east wall. While Scar takes his men through the west underground entrance while the fire is roaring above. You will wait until nightfall, then I will spring the next part of my plan."
I don't look for much more until I snap out of it. Albert and I have stumbled upon something I'm not even sure a Valor Soldier could handle.
"Minotaurs!!" I hissed.
"Don't be silly! Darius, please tell me you're kidding." begged Albert.
"No, they are here in the castle. They are underneath us right now, no doubt coming above from the cellars." I say.
"What do we do Darius? Lets go tell someone!" cried Albert.
"Stop being such a knob Albert. We are pretty much adults, we can handle this ourselves. Lets just block the entrance from the stair well then go find some help?" I offered.
"Deal."
Albert and I open the door to the stairwell connected to the cellars. Whoever is coming here to let them in should be here soon, why else would the minotaurs be waiting so impatiently. 
"Albert help me move all these heavy furniture, we are going to push all of it down the stairs, leave that desk there to block the door after!" I tell Albert. 
We pushed at least half a dozen heavy pieces down the stairwell, the minotaurs stopped talking as soon as the first table hit the door. Confused I bet.
After we get the last chair in the stairwell we closed the door and moved the desk in front of it, just to be sure those guys weren't getting through until we get back with help.
"What are you waiting for Darius? Lets go get help!" signaled Albert as he was already halfway down the hallway.
"Albert wait!" I yell. 
As I start to jog to catch up to Albert, I see a shadow come from the side, Headed for Albert!
"Albert look out!" I scream.
The hooded figure pulls out a long and sharp blade, then Albert screams. Chills runs down my back as I witness my friend get murdered in front of me. 
"YOU B*****D!" The words slip out of my mouth as I'm focused on taking down this man. As I run, more shadows take a step out of the dark corridor connected to the main hallway. First one, two, before I knew it 6 figures appeared. I'm a fighter alright, but I can't take on 6 men. Judging by the blade I saw earlier, these guys were with Valor.
                                Hostile Territory
I'm a good fighter, but I know when I'm out matched. A few of the figures see me, I'm suprised they didn't hear me yell. After all the sound of my yell was covered by the screams of Albert. I quickly open the first door closest to me. I run.
No time to keep a thought together, I try to think about what could possibly be going on but I can't get the picture of that man stabbing Albert, these men will pay.
By the time I get to the feast hall it's too late. I can hear the shrieks and screams above an unfamiliar roar. The minotaurs! That's impossible! Albert and I both closed the exit, there is no way they got in and over here so fast. Unless, they were just a few in a large pack. I check behind me, noone. Just the massive feast hall doors in front of me, Locked from the outside. Whoever is doing this had everything planned out. I try to peek through the large keyhole, I can just make out a large creature standing with it's back facing the door. Standing tall like a tower, I imagine this beast is stopping everyone from leaving. What about Valor? There was at least 20 men in there, how many minotaurs could possibly sneak into the castle.
A loud crack behind me makes me jump, I turn quickly and see a senior student running with a group of juniors. They must have made it out alive, I have to help! 
"Hey! You there! Hey!" I shout but they pay me no attention. I feel a vibration, there it is again. Then the beastly roar of a minotaur makes me realize those kids weren't ignoring me, they were running away from a pack of minotaurs!
I run as fast as I can far behind the group of students, minotaurs closing in on me. These creatures run fast for such large beast. I knock down torches aswell as any other object that comes my way in hopes of slowing down the pack of minotaurs. The students are ahead of me inside the armory.
"Don't lock the door yet! Wait!" I shriek. They don't listen. S**T. I'm against the door with nothing but a nearby torch to defend myself. They are getting close, quick Darius. Think. 
My fist clench, I focus harder then I ever have. I took total control over the junior student behind the door.
"It's Darius, Senior student. Mind Thief. Open Door." speaks the boy, then he falls onto the hard stone floor.
Congratulations Darius on controling my first human being! I'll save the celebration for later, I jump inside as soon as the door opens. 
"Quick, Help me lock it!" Ordered the senior student, holding a Valor sword in his hand.
We lock the door quickly, just in time as the beast reach the other side. 
"What is your name?" I ask
"My name is Simon." answered the senior student.
"Tell me everything that happened! How did the minotaurs get inside the hall, also where was Valor?!" I ask.
"The balcony over looking the feast hall. A few hooded men drew bows and quickly took care of the Valor soldiers in the room. Then the doors opened and minotaurs poured in." said Simon.
"Who were the men I wonder" I said.
"Not a clue, they were using Valor equipment but, I got a look at one of their faces. Didn't look like anyone I have ever seen around here. Tattoos on their faces, many scars. Must be mercanaries. Well at least that's what I think!" said Simon.
"Alright Simon, its safe in here. With that door there, the only other exit is behind the shield rack, into the old training room. From there we could make our way to Fox's chamber. If we can get the guild master's help, we can beat these minotaurs." I told Simon.
"We can't leave these kids alone." Simon said.
"Right, bring them. All of you junior students, I don't care which area of study you are here for, grab a sword." I ordered.
We all grabbed equipment, swords, maces, Simon decided to grab a maul. At first glance I thought he wouldn't be able to hold the giant hammer, once he raised it up I knew he would be able to handle it. I took chainmail aswell and a sword. I hid a dagger around my waist.
"Well, everyone ready? Lets move." I state.
"This is it? The training room? Looks like someone hasn't came down here for a centurie, at least!" said a junior student.
"It's called the old training room for a reason." snapped the other junior student.
"Enough guys be quiet, we are about to take the exit. From here we have to run straight down the corridor until we can get to the main hall, then we will be at the guild master's chamber." I explained.
"3, 2, 1, GO!" yelled Simon as he pushed open the door.
We run, we don't look at each other. Or even down the hallways. We can hear what is going on. Students that escaped were being slaughtered, we hear the odd Valor soldier but for the most part where is everyone? Where is Valor?
Luckily, the minotaurs were focused on a a couple Valor members. As we came up to the guild master's chamber, the door was already open ajar. I peak in, noone.
"Get inside!" I whisper as I hold the door open for others.
Fireplace already roaring, glorious swords hung from the wall. A desk, behind it many strange things were stored in jars on a shelf. Pixie wings, giant spider eggs, and goblin brain were only a few things I quickly saw on the shelf. Research, I assume.
"Someone is coming!" said Simon. "Hide!"
We all hid in random places, I was under the desk, Simon behind the curtain. The two junior students were beside each other in the closet, and the one student's clock was hanging out the bottom of the closet.
"YOU'RE CLOAK!" I whisper as loud as I possibly can, they don't hear me.
The door opens, the next three voices I hear shock me.
"...Yes, and the remaining students?" asked Fox.
"They be taken care of sire." spoke the minotaur that followed him in.
"Excellent Scar, Thrall will be pleased." Fox claimed.
"Yes, he will." spoke a familiar voice, Joshua!
The room went quiet for the next few seconds, all of us unsure of what to do. Before I come up with a plan, It's too late.
"What do we have here." growled Fox. "Scar, please take our guest out of the closet."
"Very well sire." said Scar.
The minotaur ripped the doors of the closet without even trying, the expressions on the junior student's faces is pure fear. I have to think, and fast!
I clench my fist together and concentrate. I focus on Simon.
"Simon, when the minotaur goes to strike the students we will jump out. Strike the minotaur as fast as you can with then hammer, if you miss, we die. No pressure." I say to Simon inside his head.
"Why are you in here?" Fox asked. "WHY!?" screamed Fox. Before the students could even answer Fox gives the order. "Scar.."
Scar raises his axe, Before he has time to strike Simon and I jump out.
"ARRRGH!" grunted Simon as the end of the massive stone hammer connects with the skull of Scar, instant death, doesn't matter what you are. Maul to the head will do it. 
I stand and dig my sword deep into Joshua. I speak softly "This is what you deserve." I pull out the blade and let his body hit the floor.
As I go to take down the fox, he already has his sword out. The swing for Simon's head had started the moment he jumped out. Simon's victory was short lived as the smile on the young man's face disappeared as the blade got closer. I couldn't look.
As I open my eyes, I see Simon's head roll across the floor towards the junior student's feet.
"Darius, I always knew you were trouble." said Fox.
"Well Fox, I always knew you were a dick." I snapped.
"Any last words before I kill the three of you?" asked Fox, after letting out a sick chuckle.
"Why did you do it Fox? Valor wasn't enough you needed to alliance with Thrall for the throne? He is a beast and I hope you know he would never give you the crown." I say.
"Well obviously, he is a dumb minotaur, I am a human. You think me a fool? I needed this to happen so the king will plan an attack against Thrall. While he sends his best men, I will walk into the castle through the front door. Alexandria will be mine, the kings head will be mine. When I storm through the castle with my minotaurs, King Alduin won't know what even hit him."
"You sick man you killed my friends, my whole life here has been destroyed!" I yell.
I lunge for Fox with the sword in my hand. He meets my blade with his, our dance begins. Swords clash, a few times Fox was able to get at my shoulders but nothing serious. The chainmail blocked most attacks. I don't think I can win this fight. 
"You think just because you can read a couple minds you can beat me!" yelled Fox. "Valor consist of real men! Knights! Not mind readers and tricksters. When I opened the training grounds for the mind thiefs I thought it was a joke. I admit a few of you gifted people has some talent, but did you really think you could do anything with it?" said Fox.
Finally it comes to me, Fox is so occupied with me he had forgo about the two students. I don't give Fox much time until I go for the second attack. I knock him away, as he looks the other way I turn to the students, I give the younger boy my dagger. Fox comes back at me, I block. I get around Fox so his back is facing the students. Fox strikes, the blow knocks me straight on my arse. If that wasn't bad enough he knocked the wind out of me aswell and injured my arm. As Fox approaches me, I go to stand. Fox laughs.
"Why even try, I'm a powerful man Darius. You think I would like to be master of a school? This place is a joke, it's barely even a guild!" laughed Fox.
The next few words that Fox tried to spit out were cut short when the young boy put the dagger through his throat. Fox drops to his knees. His eyes don't leave mine, as he slowly falls over onto the cold stone floor. I smile, I walk over, then grab the dagger and move it around, causing as much discomfort as I can during Fox's last moments.
"That was for Albert." I softly said, as I pull out the dagger from Fox's neck. I look at the boy, fear in his eyes. "You did good kid, you're going to turn out real tough one day. Don't you forget that! What's your name?"
"My name is Arthur." the boy said.
"Alright Arthur, your friend doesn't talk much does she?" I say.
"Her name is Guinevere." said Arthur. Well lets get out of here before any minotaurs see us. As we walk down the empty hall we notice how quiet it is, where are all the minotaurs? 
"You there." spoke a knight. "I am here on orders from King Alduin himself! I am to bring all survivors to the caravan outside. We are leaving right away for Alexandria."
"King Alduin knew of this?" I ask.
"We have had our eye on Fox for some time now. We didn't know he would sacrifice hundreds of innocent lives, we only thought he was trying to take down King Alduin. It's not safe here we must hurry!" demanded the knight.
As we made our way to the front I can see familiar faces. Then I see her, Emily!
I run to the one of many bed rolls which injured students were laying on. Emily is unconcious but I'm glad she is okay. She looks like an angel when she sleeps, only a few scraps and cuts lay on her perfect skin. I ask the clericwhat her condition is.
"She will be fine! Just a broken leg, she is sleeping now. Better let her get some rest!" the doctor said. Bodies litter the grounds, alive thankfully but badly wounded. Survivors exchange their stories, their descriptions of the minotaurs. Knights are still pulling dead minotaurs out of the guild, well the school. Valor was a lie, just some mediocre band of misfits that could hold a sword. 
I stand away from the crowd of survivors, I don't need to hear any stories of what happened. I experienced this, I ended this.
I look up to the moon, I feel alive. I raise my hand to the moon, and a deep voice echoes in my mind. 
"You have completed your trial, Darius. You are a mind thief."




© 2013 SmugTraveler


Author's Note

SmugTraveler
My first work of fantasy. First published short story. Please leave feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This sounds kind of interesting.

It does make me want to read the whole book.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
1 Review
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on October 9, 2013
Tags: Mind, Theif, Fantasy, War, Myth, Creatures, Swords, Spells, Smug, Traveler, short, story, feedback.

Author

SmugTraveler
SmugTraveler

Brantford, Ontario, Canada



About
I am new to writing but I absolutely love creating new stories and universes. I hope you enjoy my work and I am open to suggestions and constructive criticism! Feedback would be great :) more..

Writing