Sweet Chocolate Overload

Sweet Chocolate Overload

A Story by Robert Aitken
"

This is one for the chocolate addicts of this world. A recipe I threw together just for something to do when I had an excess of mash-mellows and chocolate.

"

Sweet Chocolate Overload

Base

 

Ingredients

 


1 Tbsp. Water

90 gm Butter

250 gm Marshmallows

250 gm Chocolate

¾ Cup glace mixed fruit


 

Method

 

1.      Place the water, butter and marshmallows in a pan and heat gently, stirring continually until the marshmallows are melted. Break the chocolate into squares and add to the pan; remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate melts.

2.      Stir in the glace mixed fruit and pour mixture into a lined 16cm square deep pan or a log pan.  Allow to cool before refrigerating to set.

 

Center

 

Ingredients

 


115 gm unsalted butter

200 gm sweetened condensed milk

115 gm brown sugar

30 ml golden syrup

2 bananas, mashed

Lemon juice

250 gm white chocolate


 

Method

 

1.      To make the center. Place the butter in a pan with the condensed milk, brown sugar and syrup. Heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved.

2.      Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then cook for 7 �" 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and turns a light caramel colour.

3.      Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Then whisk the white chocolate and the mashed bananas until thoroughly blended and smooth.

4.       Pour over the base and then cover with baking paper that has been sprayed with baking spray. Then refrigerate to set.

 

Topping

 

Ingredients

 


250 ml fresh milk

2 tsp. gelatine

115 gm caster sugar

2 eggs, separated

225 gm dark chocolate (80%), roughly chopped

1 tsp. vanilla extract

150 ml fresh cream


 

 

Method

 

1.      Pour the milk into the top of a double-boiler or into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle the gelatine over the surface. Allow it to soften for 2 minutes, then place over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir in half of the caster sugar, both egg yolks and all of the chocolate. Stir constantly over a low heat for 4 �" 5 minutes, until the gelatine has dissolved and the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and beat until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly blended. Stir in the vanilla extract, cover with cling-film and chill in the refrigerator for 45 �" 60 minutes, until just beginning to set.

2.      Whip the cream until it is stiff, then fold in all but about 3 Tbsp. into the chocolate mixture. Whisk the egg whites in another bowl until soft peaks form. Add 2 tsp. of the remaining sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form, fold in the remaining sugar, then fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour the filling onto the center and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight, or until set.

 

 

Assembly

To create this treat, you will need to spray the slice tray with some baking spray and line the base and sides with baking paper.

1.      Pour and level the base layer and chill in the refrigerator. Spray another piece of baking paper and lay the sprayed side down onto the base before refrigerating.

2.      After the base has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and peel off carefully the paper. Pour on the cooled center and level. Place another sheet of sprayed paper on to the top of the center that has been prepared as previously for the base top.

3.      Again, once this has chilled remove from the refrigerator, remove the paper and pour and level the topping. Wrap the entire tray in cling film and refrigerate overnight.

4.      After resting overnight in the refrigerator. Using a hot knife slice the finished slice into finger size pieces. Keep chilled if possible.

© 2017 Robert Aitken


Author's Note

Robert Aitken
This recipe has been consistently flogged by my fellow chefs and I have decided after much coffee to release to the world. Caution: It is addictive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on October 7, 2017
Last Updated on October 7, 2017

Author

Robert Aitken
Robert Aitken

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand



About
I am a retired (yea right) chef due to associated health issues. But I still keep as active as I can. I am studying the Cert. in Arts at Massey University having completed a Creative Writing paper in .. more..

Writing