Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by SnowyPandaa
"

Aunt Christine arrives back home from a trip and Nicole is eager to start her summer off fresh after the pain of yesterday. But is it really over?

"

Chapter 4

     Nicole opened her eyes and gazed around the room.  Noticing how she felt drowsier then she did most mornings.  Noticing how there wasn’t a lump occupying her thoughts.  As soon as her awareness returned, she took a moment to check if she had any new dream experiences from that night; holding her breath as she scanned her memory.  But came out clean.  She breathed out a sigh of relief.  I knew it.  It was all just one big fluke. She smiled, feeling much better now that that was over.  Hoping more than ever that she was right.  

     Feeling like this was the best way to start off the day; she sat up on her bed and let her hair fall down her back.  Slowly breathing in the cool air that drifted through her open window.  Wanting to start the summer off fresh so that she could truly make it the best summer ever.  The summer that she deserved.  As the sun’s rays peeked into her room, she longed to run outside and celebrate the no-show of another dream.  Feeling so overcome by relief to not have to worry about that again!

     As Nicole sat there feeling better than ever, she heard a soft knock on her door, and instantly became curious to know who it was.  “Come in.”  She said quietly as she repositioned herself.  

     “And how’s my honeydew doing?”  A familiar voice spoke as the door opened.

     Nicole stetched open a smile and felt excitement tingling around in her stomach.  “You’re back!”  She said to her aunt, and held her arms out wide for a hug.

    Aunt Christine smiled back and showed her sparkling white teeth.  “Of course I’m back!”  She lowered herself for a hug, her arms wrapped around Nicole.  Both of them embracing it and wishing that it would never end.  But it had to.  She barreled onto the bed and gazed at Nicole with a warm smile.  “So?  Did you enjoy yourself while I was gone?”

     Nicole bit her lower lip, considering the idea of telling her the truth.  The truth that she had had a terrible day yesterday and wished that it had never happened.  But she decided to just keep that to herself.  It was only a dream after all, so why should it matter?  

     She nodded as she returned the smile “yep, it was good!  I spent some time with Katie.  It was fun…”  She trailed off, not noticing that her smile had faded.  “And, how was your trip?  It must have been far more exciting than my boring life here!  Did you meet any cute guys?”

     We both chuckle, and she shakes her head.  “Nope, just a bunch of all ready married guys.”  She tips her head back and lets out a laugh.  As soon as she’s recovered, she continues, “But yeah the rest of the trip was amazing!  I’m glad I brought so many shorts along �" it was so hot in Hawaii!”  

     Nicole began to play with the multi coloured beads that her aunt has braided in her hair.  “Well I’m just glad that you’re back.”  She pauses, “What time did you arrive?”  

     “Just early this morning.   The flight arrived earlier than expected.”  She grins.  “And I’m so glad I’m home!  I’d better go un-pack.  It’s not long before I’ll be going on another trip.”  

     She sits up and shakes her shiny beaded hair.  “So I’m going to go un-pack, okay?  If you want to do something today just let me know.”  She glances back at Nicole and notices her frowning.  “Oh dear, what’s the matter?”

     Nicole shakes her head and looks at her with pleading eyes.  “I don’t want you to leave again.  I want you to stay here.” 

     “I know you do.  And I do too sometimes.  But it’s my job, Nicole.  That’s what travel agents do.”  

     Nicole nods.  “I know.  But that doesn’t mean I like it.”  

     Her eyes flicker with amusement as she squeezes Nicole’s hand.  “I know.”

     And after that she’s off and into her master bedroom, unzipping her suitcase and preparing for her next flight.  Nicole sighs, wishing that she could just keep her aunt at home forever, knowing that there’s nothing she can do about it.  

     She slides off of her bed, and begins to get ready for the day.  Still happy to be able to have her vacation back, and at least be able to spend a week or so with her aunt before she has to leave again.  She puts on a new purple summer dress, admiring the realistic flowers printed all over it.  

     She walks out into the hallway, listening to her aunt opening and closing drawers, switching old clothes for clean ones.  She’s just about to step down the stairs, when she hears her cell ring.  She pauses, and watches it vibrate on the table next to her bed.  It’s Katie.  

     She begins to reach for it.  Not wanting to think about that all over again, wanting her thoughts to remain positive.  But she knew that she had to overcome it at some point.  

     “Hello?”  She speaks quietly into the phone, hoping to not sound reluctant.  This time, there is even more static that fills the line.  

     “Hey.”  Katie’s familiar voice speaks.  “I’ve been waiting all night to call you!  I just couldn’t sleep.”  

     Nicole feels a stab of sympathy for her cousin.  “Yeah, I was worried that you wouldn’t be able to sleep very well.”  

     They both pause.  “Well, anyways I want to tell you what’s bothering me.”  Katie finally speaks, “ I thought that you’d be able to help.”  

     “Oh yeah I was wondering about that. Tell me whatever you feel comfortable telling me.”  Nicole says gently as she tilts her head to the side, bracing herself.  Noticing the tension that builds up inside of her.

     This is it.  This is the moment I’ve been waiting for.  Finally I’m going to know what it is that’s been bothering Katie and hopefully I’ll be able to help her.  And all this crazy stuff can be over with!  I wonder what it is that’s got her so concerned?

     Katie takes a deep breath as she considers her sentence.  It takes a couple of moments before she continues to talk.  “Well, two nights ago… I had this really… scary dream.”

     Nicole freezes entirely.  Feeling alarmed that her cousin might have had the same dream that she did.  She had the urge to tell Katie to not continue, but she knew it would be best to listen.  She forces her lips to move “Go on…”

     Katie’s voice continues, beginning to sound shaky, “Well I know it was just a dream, but it felt strangely real.  There was this shadowy guy and he, he…”  She began to stammer, “I hope you don’t think I’m going insane!”  She laughs nervously, but Nicole just says in her most soothing voice “go on, it’s okay.  I won’t think you’re insane.  I promise.”

     Katie, who seemed slightly more reassured, continued to talk “There was this shadowy guy and he told me… he told me that…” 

     Someone you love is going to die.  Nicole mouths the words, wanting to say them but letting her cousin finish the sentence.  

     “… That someone I love is going to die.”  Katie finally finishes, saying the exact same words.  

     Nicole struggles for words, panic jumping around inside of her.  Knowing that since Katie had the dream too, the exact same one, must mean that it’s real.  

     That it’s no fluke.

     That it wasn’t just a dream.   

     Not knowing what to say, unsure of how to start, Nicole grips the phone tighter and says “I’ll call you later.  I need to go.”  

     And in an instant the call is ended, and Nicole is rushing down the hallway to Aunt Christine’s doorway.



© 2012 SnowyPandaa


Author's Note

SnowyPandaa
What do you think of this one?^^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on September 12, 2012
Last Updated on September 12, 2012
Tags: teen, dream, Nicole, Katie, pressure, happy, summer, fresh, sleep, pain, worry, aunt, travel, distanced


Author

SnowyPandaa
SnowyPandaa

Brampton, Catholic , Canada



About
Hello ^^ I've been writing for a couple of years now, and i think it's just soo awesome !! It's a way to just un wind. To create something new. I looove cats and my goal one day is get a novel pub.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by SnowyPandaa