Yelena Marikova

Yelena Marikova

A Chapter by SolSara

- Anya, sit still!
- Mom! Stop pulling my hair! shouted Yelena's daughter with tears in her eyes.
- It wouldn't hurt as much if you could just sit still!
Yelena moved her Kalashnikov out of the way and began brushing her daughters hair again. She pulled a bit too hard when she tried to untangle Anya's hair and with an angry yell, the little girl got away from her mother and fled through the door. Yelena sighed deeply and picked up the comb. Some of her daughters deep brown hair was caught between its teeth. She stiffened when she suddenly heard Anya scream in panic. She got up and ran out the door and down the street. "God, please let my girl be safe!" At the end of the street, she saw three heavily armed men; one was lying on his stomach, trying to reach for something or someone under the terrace. Her daughter screamed again, the sound coming from under the terrace. The men laughed and Yelena, filled with an explosive rush of rage, pulled her Kalashnikov from her back. She killed the first man with a shot in the head and took cover behind a wrecked car before the astonished group of men understood where the fire came from. They fired in response but where no match for Yelena. The next man fell shortly after the first, the last one turned and fled. She shot him in the back and he continued running for some seconds before his brain understood that he was dead. Yelena got up with her gun in her hands and vigilantly crept towards Anya while searching the surroundings for more enemies. Her little girl crawled into her arms and Yelena let her gun fall to the ground. Anya sobbed quietly when Yelena scolded her for being incautious.

A month later, the rain hesitated. The sky had been dark blue for several weeks and Yelena begged God every day for a drop of the precious liquid. Anya lay apathetic on her little bed, all her restless energy had faded into a tiny flame that fluttered back and forth. Even if it saddened her heart to leave her precious little daughter, Yelena needed to find water and food for them both.
- Anya, wake up my little water drop.
Anya groaned and managed to open her eyes a bit. Her head rolled on her pillow and Yelena had to steady it carefully. Her little body was burning with fever.
- Sweetie, mummy must go and get us some water. Don't be scared, it will just be for a little while. Just wait here and everything will be alright.
Anya didn't answer, she just closed her eyes. Yelena lingered in the doorway, watching her daughter breathe slowly and with great pains. She left unwillingly.

Several hours later, Yelena gave up. The city was empty, both of people and of anything edible or drinkable. She had found a bottle half filled with murky water which stank of chemicals, but it was better than nothing. The sky stubbornly refused to give up even a drop of water. Yelena cursed it while she on tired legs forced her way back through the bombed and destroyed streets to her daughter.

The sky had darkened considerably when she finally reached their home. A few lightning bolts crossed the sky but no rain. Yelena limped to Anya.
- I found some water, honey. Here, it is not much but it may get the fever down. Yelena chatted while she tried to make Anya sit up. She was cold and didn't respond but Yelena ignored that desperately. She leaned over Anya and forced the water bottle to her mouth. The water ran out of the corner of her mouth and down her neck. Yelena crawled up into the bed with her girl in her arms, she cried and whispered little nonsense words. The bottle with the foul-smelling water rolled forgotten across the floor, spilling the valuable water.

Yelena woke up several hours later. Her eyes had a feverish look and her tongue felt like cardboard. When she got up, she stepped on the empty bottle and nearly fell over. Yelena kicked it away. Like a sleepwalker she walked slowly through the door, blinded by the flowing tears. She didn't feel the strap to her gun slide down her shoulder and fall to the ground. The thunder rumbled again and the first raindrops hit the ground, slow at first but rising in intensity by every second. Yelena was drenched but continued walking. The streets were washed clean by the rain, the potholes filled with water and a brook started its journey down the steepest road. Struggling to keep her balance, Yelena avoided the largest gaps and reached higher ground. She kept going until she reached the nearly abandoned train station. There, her legs failed her and Yelena fell to the ground, crying her heart out, yelling and howling to the sky which mocked her now. Near unconsciousness, she heard a low rumble which grew louder. She managed to sit up and recognized the sound as an engine noise. The rumble grew in strength and a train flew past her. Yelena got on her feet and started running, Anya forgotten, buried in her mind. Her only thought was about the water and supplies that were transported through the land. As the train slowed down and reached a stop, Yelena caught up with it and managed to crawl onto an old platform at the back of the last train car. She forced the locked door open. The wagon was half filled with crates and barrels piled onto one another. Several of them were lying on the floor, probably due to the hasty stop. One of them had been broken open and its contents were shattered on the floor. An apple rolled towards Yelena and bounced on her boot. She picked it up absentmindedly and took a bite when the train suddenly shook and someone screamed. A rattle of bullets made Yelena throw herself onto the floor and a fire fight began. The train strenuously gained speed and left its pursuer behind it. Yelena heard them shoot after the train car and a bullet bore its way through the wall and into a barrel. Water poured through the hole and Yelena greedily put her mouth to the hole and drank the bitter-tasting water. After she filled her stomach with fruits and beef jerky, Yelena sunk into a plagued dream, where her daughter cried but she was unable to reach her.

The train chugged through the country without stop for many days. It passed several small settlements where the train occasionally was attacked by gangs. The train increased its speed and none of the attacks were successful. At some settlements, the train slowed down enough to unload a couple of barrels and crates. Yelena had no interest in leaving the train, filled as it was with food and water.

The train stopped. Yelena peeped through one of the small windows and saw people emerging from the small forest, rushing towards the train. She expected gun fights and was surprised to hear none. Voices was heard, someone shouted orders and the doors where opened one at a time. The cargo was being unloaded and there was only a matter of time before Yelena would be discovered. She hid behind one of the doors and waited until somebody opened the door and stepped in. She attacked the person and they both fell out of the car. The woman underneath her grunted as they landed on the ground. Yelena got on her feet and tried to get away, but two men grabbed her and dragged her back to the woman, who had gained her breath and was now pulled to her feet by another man. She walked up towards Yelena and gave her a long, searching look.
- Take her to the Stadium; I don't want any rumors about this. It shall be said that the leader of the Knives is merciful, said the woman.
The men began to drag the squirming Yelena away, but she managed to break free and tumbled into the woman, who once again fell. Something hit Yelenas head and while she began to sink into the blessed unconsciousness, she heard the woman shout furiously at her attacker. The darkness swallowed her, making the shouts above her inaudible and Yelena welcomed it gratefully.

When Yelena gained consciousness she was hauled into an old and overgrown sports arena. The grandstand was to a quarter filled with war-scarred people. The woman she had attacked yesterday stood before her.
- This is the Stadium, where scores are settled. I am Candika, the leader of the Knives. Many have tried my strength and all have been defeated. There are no rules. If you defeat me, you are free to go. We'll begin as soon as the Waterlord arrives. Do examine the grounds first; you'll notice that there are but one exit and its gate will only open when one of us lies dead.
Yelena ignored Candikas advice and stood defiant before her. Someone gave Candika a signal and she attacked.

The fight was short, fierce and deadly. Candika had the advantage of being older and more experience. Her face showed her satisfaction as her body obeyed her every thought. It looked like she enjoyed the fight and every blow and damage she caused Yelena. A severe hit knocked Yelena to the ground and Candika's kicks hailed on her. Bleeding and suffering from many bruises, Yelena fumbled after something to haul at her opponent. She caught a handful of dirt and threw it in Candikas face, which shrieked and clutched at her eyes. Yelena got up and staggered towards a large tree. When Candika finally opened her teary and red-trimmed eyes, Yelena hit her with a branch. As Candika fell to the ground, her eyes widen in terror. She realized that she finally have met her superior. Yelena stroke again and again until the branch broke. Candika lay motionless and bleeding on the ground, while Yelena breathed heavily above her with a large stone in her hand and wondering what she should do next. The gate was opened and a tall, dark man with scars on his arms and face entered, flanked by two bodyguards strode towards her. A woman followed them shyly with a little girl in her arms. Yelena dropped the stone and vigilantly waited for the next move. The man nodded towards one of the bodyguards who kneeled at Candikas body and checked her pulse. He shook his head and the man nodded. Candikas body was dragged away while the man stood silently, watching Yelena. When he spoke, Yelena quivered and took a step back.
- Welcome to my city. I believe you already have made some enemies, but you seem to be good at disposing of them. He held out his hand but Yelena didn't take it nor bother to answer. She gazed at the little girl who yawned and opened her eyes. Her eyes were sleepy as first, but when she focused on Yelena, the little face lit up. She struggled to get down and ran giggling towards Yelena, where she reached up towards Yelena and commanded to be lifted. The tall man prevented his bodyguards from interfering and watched as Yelena kneeled and ran her fingers through the girl's short, brown hair.
- Maybe there is another purpose for you here. I am the Waterlord and this is my daughter Nikita Cayenne. I see that Nikita has chosen you as her new guardian. Guards, remove that girl out of my sight.
The woman screamed as the guard dragged her away, but was silenced abruptly. Yelena picked Nikita and held her in her arms. For a moment it felt like her own daughter in her arms. The little girl who was smiling trustingly at her was brown like chocolate and Anya had been rosy-cheeked and white like snow. The only resemblance between Anya and Nikita was their smile and hair color. Yelena looked deeply into the girl's eyes and smiled.
- Okay, she said at last. The Waterlord smiled a cold, gruesome smile and made a sign. The gate opened again and the group left the Stadium.



© 2009 SolSara


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on March 12, 2009


Author

SolSara
SolSara

Skövde, Sweden



About
I'm an aspiring Game Writer from Sweden who currently writes her thesis: a manuscript about �lodie Bauchet, a female assassin during the first three years of the French Revolution. more..

Writing
Jakri Jakri

A Story by SolSara


Decadence Decadence

A Book by SolSara


Echo Aelian Echo Aelian

A Chapter by SolSara