Alone In The Gutter With The Devil

Alone In The Gutter With The Devil

A Poem by Scarlet Letter
"

Dark and alone...

"
I slither to the ground,
Defeated and rejected,
My back against the cold, hard wall,
Drenched in pity,
Soaked in self-loathing.
My head between my knees
Rocking back and forth,
Back and forth,
Like a child lost on the streets.
I shudder
As the serpent whispers lies
In my vulnerable ears,
Tainting my innocence
With twisted deceit.
I resist... for a while.
Soon his quiet lies
Entangle my mind
Devouring it's way
Through every crevasse
Until his words
Become my own. 

© 2010 Scarlet Letter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very effective dark and sinister poem.
You have great imagery in this nicely crafted poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was amazing, it catches you from line one.
I like the "slither" in the beginning, it conveys the image of a more gradual descent than a quick fall, and defeat can only be the consequence of an encounter. The first to lines seem quite meaningful to me, and are definitely a good introduction.
The descriptions depict the depression scene vividly.
As for the serpent, I think, though I hate "splitting up" minds, everybody has thoughts they disagree with at first and which they are not really fond of, but can come to defend later. Sometimes we can't help it as our opinions change, even thogh we try not to let them.
You present a case of everything changing for the worse, therefore the metaphor of the seductive serpent, as Twilight has already pointed out representing evil, works very well.
Overall an awesome poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Quite a dark piece, but also rather personal to the writer, perhaps? There are references to spoilt or tainted innocence, confusion and vulnerability. This poem reminded me of someone in a lonely or sad state of mind - entangled in a web of their own thoughts and anxieties? Serpents are traditionally associated with evil, and so it is clear why a serpent is featured in this poem. Thankyou for sharing this with us, and adding it to my writing group!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow theres such rawness to the setting and character you feel like you watching this person. Watching as this serpant changes their lives. It beautiful in desription painting a true emotion of fear and defeat.
I love it.
Well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am in love with the dark and somewhat appalling scenario you set for this poem.
I feel very intimate with this person's suffering.
This is just beautifully obscure.
Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

522 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2010
Last Updated on December 18, 2010
Tags: devil, gutter, depression, sad

Author

Scarlet Letter
Scarlet Letter

Canada



About
I love art of all forms. The types I practice are writing, charcoal/oil pastels, music, photography, and more. Every time I look at something I see if it would be best as a picture, drawing, poem, or .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Its Okay Its Okay

A Poem by Moflo