Welcome to the Academy

Welcome to the Academy

A Chapter by Sorenel Rain
"

This is something I've been thinking about for some time now...i like the plot...and I have hopes that it'll get somewhere.

"

 

            My eyes flickered around the academy’s lavishly decorated auditorium. The floors were carpeted in a plush almost blood red colored carpet; the walls were oddly enough painted sliver with gold stripes. The auditorium seats had small but comfy cushions on them so that for the long lectures that were frequently held here, the student’s butts didn’t go numb. The new first years were file ling in and taking their seats, chatting amongst themselves happily. The academy’s headmasters stood on the stage behind their podium, waiting for the students to settle. Headmaster Drake and his wife, Headmaster May, were waiting to tell the students about the academy and the rules that come with being here. The only reason I was allowed to set foot in this auditorium was because I had to give a speech about the ground rules. I’m a ground Guardian; basically I’m not allowed to have a life outside of guarding the grounds and protecting the students.
           At last the students stopped talking realizing that the headmasters were waiting for them to. Some stared at me with wide eyes, most likely because of my gift from the headmasters for the years I’ve worked for them; they tend to think of me like their own daughter. A year ago they gave me a Gyrfalcon a beautiful bird prey. Her name is Nyx, and at the moment she’s about 26 in long, a weight of 4.6 lbs and has a wingspan of from 64 in. She’s a big bird, the biggest of the falcon family, she is also quite intimidating. Nyx looked at the crowd, looked back at me, and shuffled her feet back and forth, her sharp talons never piercing my skin. She didn’t like being here, around so many people that she didn’t know. Headmaster Drake cleared his throat and made Nyx squawk sharply. 
          His loud booming voice filled the room, “evening everyone, welcome to your new home. There are a few things that need to be addressed. I’m Headmaster Drake and this is my wife Headmaster May, we will be addressed as such and we will have the respect we deserve. To my right is a just as important person, Guardian Cari.” He addressed me with a hand motion. “You will all be getting a hand book about this school and the rules, it is mandatory that each and every one of you read and learn this hand book. It can and will save you on many occasions.” He looked at me, “also everyone is to know the rules of these school grounds. Guardian Cari, if you will tell our new first years the extremely important rules of the grounds.”
          I glided a crossed the stage to the podium, Nyx made a small sound in her throat as if she was going to be the one speaking. “As you all were just told I’m Guardian Cari, I’m sure all of you know how special this school is. It is extremely important that every one of you follow ground rules, it can be a life saver in some situations. Some of you will have a curfew, and this curfew can save your life. Humans, your hours are from 6am till 6pm, after 6pm every human is to be in their dorms, being out past your curfew can put your life in danger. Shape shifters you don’t have a curfew, vampires your curfew is from 6pm till 6am. And sprits you all have free rein during the nighttime hours. Some of you may think it is unfair that you have a curfew but just try and be out, outside your curfew…” All the students stared at me, some looked scared. “As the year goes by you’ll learn more about how this school runs, it is strongly recommended that you read the hand book. We shall see if you all listened to my words and read the hand book. Welcome to UnityAcademy.” I gave a small smile and glided off the stage and out the front doors of the auditorium.
          Nyx nuzzled my hair when we exited the stuffy room; I scratched the side of her head to comfort her. She gave a quick squawk as my two favorite boys walked up to me.
          Mordiki smiled wide and embraced me, narrowly avoiding Nyx’s beak as she tried to bite him. “How is our fierce little Guardian tonight? The fresh meat didn’t give you any trouble did they?”
          I couldn’t help but laugh at Diki’s way of greeting me. “Diki you know that your not supposed to hug me…or greet me in that manner…The headmasters could see you…I don’t want you two to be banned from seeing me.”
          Ayden chuckled, “as if that would stop us Cari. We both are of the strongest bloodlines for our kin. Not even the headmasters can stop us from seeing you.”
          “They could take me away from here…Please for me don’t embrace me until I’m far from the main buildings. Come lets walk, it’s going to be a beautiful night.” Ayden and Mordiki walked along side me, Mordiki for kicks kept trying to pet Nyx, just to have her try and take off his finger each time. For some reason Nyx didn’t like him, it might be because he’s a wolf…but that shouldn’t bother her…


© 2009 Sorenel Rain


Author's Note

Sorenel Rain
Enjoy, and let me know what you think. ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on April 6, 2009


Author

Sorenel Rain
Sorenel Rain

Wyoming, RI



About
I'm very crazy, an odd ball of sorts. I love writing, its the perfect way to vent, or say what your thinking without having to censor anything. I write stories, and poems, if I don't write every week .. more..

Writing