Welcome the Rain

Welcome the Rain

A Story by Marlena
"

I'm waiting for you to dance in the rain with me.

"

Welcome the Rain

 

I stand here, in the dark thriving metropolis of a city once born of hard work and loyalty. You mock me, the place I stand is nothing more than a mound of dirt, an unpaved trodden road leading to my future and blundering mistakes of mankind. You point the gun at me.

 

I raise my arms from my sides, fingers splayed out in the rain. The water feels comforting on my skin, lulls me back and forth between anger, sheer panic, and this strange sort of happiness.

 

You ask me why, I tell you I don’t know, I was bored.

 

It’s dark here, even streetlights won’t do any good, we shout to hear each other over the dead and steady beat of the rain. I feel as though I am seeing the future, the water forms thick columns around you. It bars you in, traps you off from the outside world if only for a moment before they crash to earth in liquid, shapeless forms.

 

Your hand and arm shake rhythmically, pointing the gun at me, I look at you and you don’t see me. I watch the hysteria in your eyes grow, the feelings in you I can evoke are astounding. You radiate anger, jealousy, fear and pain.

 

I’ll kill you, you say.

 

It won’t help much, but go for it. I shrug and start to lower my hands.

 

Your mind is in a suddenly new area, a struggle to take me up on my offer. Unlike you, I don’t fear death, my number was up long ago and you don’t seem to notice that. No one does. Death follows me, I wonder if I can ward him off tonight?

 

As you wrestle between the consequences of your actions I hear your mental cries of frustration. Steam flares from your nostrils, you chew your lip until it bleeds and at that point, as you move your gaze down to the ground for the briefest of moments, I know what will happen tonight. I understand my fate.

 

Silently, my numb lips turn up, I stretch them into a smile. Now you are watching me.  I raise my hands up above my head, fingers spread, palms up. I cup the rain in my hands, it slides down my sleeves, shimmies down my back and raises goose bumps.  

 

Welcome the rain. I whisper into the wind, my voice carries down the place I stand – my unpaved road of past and strange, confusing memories that in some cases have yet to take place. I shift in place and say to you, as your finger rests on the trigger. The rain is perfect, it can be compared to so many little things, so many events in our lives… I turn my head up.

 

I’ve got your attention. What? passes off your lips and into the air.

 

I go on.

 

The rain, our lives, so many things happen. We’re standing in a downpour, earlier today you got some very bad news- didn’t you?

 

The gun c***s;  that’s a yes. I continue.

 

The rain can be compared to life, the things we go through. Pain is probably one of the easiest examples, losing someone special too or even something else. Something completely different than that based on a whole other emotion or mindset altogether. Love? Happiness? Peace? My point is that every event in our lives is comparative to a drop of rain, a single drop. It flows over you, passes over your presence for just a moment before it’s in the past and it leaves a trail on your life, a wet tingle on your skin. It sinks into you as you absorb it, becomes a part of you like liquid in an overly porous sponge. The day itself can be a storm, and when the storm is over you wring yourself dry and start over. Many people’s entire lives are just big storms, like a Nor Easter, my life has been a hurricane. I’ve come to welcome the rain because I find if I don’t, bad things happen. A person can go insane here, but I always welcome the rain because it lets me know that even if a person dies, I’m still alive. Do you?

 

You are stunned and strangling yourself in your thoughts. I smile wider, a menacing, terrible smile.

 

Give me the rain,  I say,  I’ll dance in it.

 

You look at me, your eyes grow wide and you scream. You throw the gun down at my feet after firing once into the air, you turn and run.

 

I just laugh.

 

The next day the storm is over; forecast is partly cloudy, chance of rain. You sit in your living room, on the couch in front of the T.V. I can see you through the windows. I can see by the glaze of your eyes you are remembering and piecing it back together.

 

Laughing to myself, I walk up to your house, lean a black umbrella against the door with a note tucked into its folds and ring the doorbell before running away to a place where I can watch your reaction.  You answer the door, you look at the gift with fear but pull out the note, I see you mouth the words and I grin that same menacing grin.

 

I’m waiting for you to dance in the rain with me.”

 

© 2009 Marlena


Author's Note

Marlena
I wrote this first at like....one in the morning on a school night XD I don't really know where it came from, and it's kind of funny I'm editing it now, a little past one. I just want to know what you guys think, it's supposed to not give the entire storyline, you know added effect and all that. Totally different than my usual writes. PLEASE tell me what you think, I'm really curious. Thanks ^^ Oh and if you see any typos let me know, okay? :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very good piece of writing!! I was hooked all the way through you should write more! it is that awesome!

Posted 14 Years Ago


You know what? Everytime I see something is written from you I read it cuz im curious as to what it'll be this time...and believe me, you never let me down. This was awesome. I swear you can write about anything. YOur like the jhonny depp of writers lol I mean it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
I loved that last line:

"I'm waiting for you to dance in the rain with me."

It says a multitude in itself. Another Amazing work of art, Aveira! You have plenty of Talent to offer the reader. Keep up the Great work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Woah dude epic. O_O

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2009
Last Updated on August 6, 2009

Author

Marlena
Marlena

NY



About
-What's there to know? It's obvious why I'm here, that's all you need to get it.- more..

Writing
Floating Floating

A Poem by Marlena


Unspoken Unspoken

A Poem by Marlena



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


All of Me All of Me

A Story by Marlena