Plans and Mistakes

Plans and Mistakes

A Chapter by SpaceSword
"

Alice runs her mouth and lands herself in trouble with her mom.

"

I awoke in middle of the night, the moonlight dancing through my bedroom window and unto my face and as I sat up I could see three large doglike creatures loping across my front yard, one with snowy white fur that reflected the moon light and the other two a deep color that could have been possibly black or brown, but in the night I couldn’t tell for sure.

I sat and watched them, my breath catching in my throat as one turned and stared at me with golden eyes. It took a step near and I felt my heart quiver in fear, it was massive in both height and mass and could have broken through my window easily however it stopped and with one quick wag of its massive tail it turned and rushed toward the forest before it lifted its large muzzle, the moonlight causing its eyes to glow slightly before it opened its mouth slightly and let out a long, mournful howl that echoed throughout the house and forest both.

Chills ran through me just as my mom rushed into the room.

“Do you see those wolves?” she asked softly, her voice nervous and low.

“Those are wolves? They have to be the size of a small horse!” I retorted and she nodded.

“Yeah, they must be what they use to call buffalo wolves… they were far larger than normal wolves.” Mom explained and my heart raced as the one that had howled turned back to look at my window once again.

“Mom. I want my room to be in the attic.” I stated in a whisper and she glanced at me.

“I have your father’s gun. If it tries anything it’s dead.” She stated and I snorted

“You need an elephant rifle to get rid of something that size!” I stated in reply just as the wolves began to head back into the woods.

After they left I jerked my curtains closed and fell into an uneasy sleep, dreaming of large wolves watching my every move.

The next morning when I awoke, I quickly dressed and got my mom to drive me to school in opposition of waiting outside on the bus where there was a large pack of monsters running about.

“Mom…. Be careful today.” I stated and she smiled and nodded

“I will.” I answered as I got out of the car, putting on my backpack before shoving my hands into my pockets in order to try to keep warm in the winter winds that threatened snow that was undoubtedly looming as near as those wolves had last night.

As I walked toward the double doors of the large brick building my foot crunched on a thin, invisible layer of ice that threw my feet out from beneath me and landed me hard onto the concrete.

“Whoa! Alice are you okay?” Lane’s voice asked as she suddenly was towering over me as I sat on the freezing, wet ground with pain running though my backside.

“I don’t know.” I answered honestly and she sighed and helped me up, her muscular arm enfolding around my lower back to balance me as she lead me into the school and toward the nurse station.

“Hey Miss Rochelle. This klutz fell in the parking lot and we need to know if she’s hurt or not.” She stated and I noticed that she had a slight southern accent that had faded into her tone.

“Thank you for helping her here Lane.” Nurse Rochelle stated with a smile as she helped me hop over to the cot like bed and helped me sit on it, though the last action caused me a bit of pain.

After she had asked me ten million questions I was released, deciding that I had Marjory bruised my tail bone. As soon as I limped out of the door I noticed that Lane was sitting just outside the door with my mother, talking quietly and laughing a bit at something.

“What did she say?” Mom asked me, standing up as soon as she saw me and I sighed.

“bruised.” I retorted simply and she chuckled.

“Do you wanna go home?” she questioned me and I glanced at Lane, who seemed to be trying not to laugh.

“yes.” I answered, suddenly mad at the strange eyed teen who had that annoying little smirk on her face, even though she had just saved me a lot of humiliation.

“You mom told me about the wolves last night.” She stated suddenly then added “I’ll tell you like I told her, they won’t hurt you. Those oversized beasts here hunt elk mostly…. I’ve been right near the wolves before but they didn’t hurt me.”

Something about her words bothered me, tugging something in my heart that made me want to get to know her but why would that be? Why did my heart flutter whenever she spoke? Why was I so enthralled by her strange eyes and smooth voice?

“Let’s go.” I growled to mom who chuckled and followed me, leaving Lane behind us.

On the way home I tried to sleep, the pain in my heather regions too much to handle.

“Lane seems nice, strange name though.” Mom stated, trying to make conversation.

“I don’t want to talk about that stupid F****t.” I snapped, still bothered by how she haunted my mind with those yellowish eyes.

“Alicia Rene Quinn! I don’t ever want you to say something like that about someone ever again! Why should it matter if she likes guys or girls?” Mom exclaimed, her tone sterner than it had ever been toward me… So stern in fact that I half expected her to spank me when we got back home.

“Sorry but she is.” I grumbled and she glared at me.

“You know what? You want to talk like that about her even though she’s been so nice to you! I’ll give you a reason to” mom stated, glaring over at me with her eyes icy like daggers.

“What are you going to do? Make me move in with her?” I snapped.

That was a bad idea of course because she answered “No, but she will be living with us.

The words had resounded in my mind and my heart stood still.

“No!” I exclaimed and she smirked.

“Oh yes young lady. Lane is also in the system since she was found abandoned by her family. She is currently staying at the group house down town.”

Upon hearing this I instantly felt horrible about what I had said, I didn’t know that she was an orphan.

When we finally got home I headed up to my room and curled up on my bed and drifted into an unrestful slumber that was filled with dreams of large wolves and a certain golden eyed girl that would probably be sitting in my living room by the next day.

 



© 2013 SpaceSword


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I read both of your chapters. A good, original story. Needs some "fleshing out" of the characters maybe some background on them. Some punctuation errors. Add a little meat to your sentances...descriptive words. I like the mystery of the wolves. What about the main character? I am a little confused as to her relationship with Lane. Does she have a crush on her? Is she attracted to her? It seems as if she is interested in her.
So, keep working...I think you have a good story on your hands.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Added on November 29, 2013
Last Updated on November 29, 2013


Author

SpaceSword
SpaceSword

Pikeville, KY



About
A 19 year old liberal who writes mostly for the LGBT community more..

Writing
First sight First sight

A Chapter by SpaceSword