Special Defence Unit Chapter 2: Holy Smokes!

Special Defence Unit Chapter 2: Holy Smokes!

A Chapter by Sparkly
"

Contains a few swears! After the accident, Ami finds herself in a bit of a pinch! What are you going to do girl???

"

We all helplessly watched as the trail spread, like a twisted Rube Goldberg machine, to the spare gas canister we used to light our bunsen's. As the flames crept closer to our impending doom, my mind only thought of how if we had decided to get take out, we would not have had to go through this situation.
The canister exploded, the force flinging the four of us down. Hitting the ground hard, I gasped as the wind got knocked out of my body. Bad mistake.

My throat burned with bitterness (and slight tomatoey undertones) as I inhaled hot acrid smoke. Clutching my chest, I tried to get up. I managed to get on all fours, and attempted to make my way to the murky glowing green of the emergency exit. I took in another breath of the smoke. Instantly, my arms and feet gave way, and I collapsed as a heap on the ground. The tiled flooring was cool against my skin, yet it felt like every inch of my body was burning. The sounds of coughing and the roar of the fire felt distant and distorted, drowned out by the beating of my heart as my veins coursed with pain. Suddenly, the heat from the fire subsided. I lay on the ground for a few moments, savouring the relief from the pain as the heat lifted away from me. It didn’t last long. I screamed in pain as a freezing cold  pierced through my brain. I couldn’t feel my body anymore. The feeling of panic swelled, only making my throbbing head worse.
I shivered uncontrollably, mind desperately trying to hold on to consciousness.



When I came to, there were two surly looking security guards peering at me.  I tried to get up, but my weakness caused me to slip and hit my head on the floor. I closed my eyes and groaned in pain. One of the security guards sighed.
“There it goes again. The sprinkler systems need to be fixed, man.”
I shivered as the water from sprinkler system hit my body. Still not fully conscious, I waved my hand in a sorry attempt to block the water from getting to me.
Miraculously, it worked. I heard a gasp.
“The f**k?! What the f**k just happened?”
My eyes flew open. My surroundings looked pretty normal for a disaster struck room. Everything was charred black, grey smoke still rising from the blast. There was a faint sound of the sprinklers spurting out water. Water which was suspended in mid air. The security guards looked down at me, noticing that I was awake. Their expressions were stony.
“You’re going to have to come with us.”
“What? Why? Where are my coworkers? Where am I going?” I struggled in the guard’s strong grip as he picked me off the ground with ease.
“The...hospital. You’re covered in bruises and burns.” The hesitation in his voice was worrying.

“I don’t feel anything. I’m fine, I swear. I want to go home.” I tried to push away his arms from my body.
“We can’t do that, sorry. You’re very hurt.”panic swept through me as I writhed between the man’s iron hold on my body. Judging by their expressions, I was probably not going to go to the hospital. I was probably going to get fired, thrown out onto the streets, killed, maybe- I needed to get out.
Suddenly, Something cold and sharp brushed past my cheek. I was ripped from the man’s grasp as he was knocked to the back of the room. I fell to the ground on all fours. He made a choking sound and something splattered onto the ground.  I looked back.  Thousands of shards of ice had pierced his body, sticking out at grotesque angles.Blood seeped out and ran across the sharp edges onto the floor. Did I… do that?

The man muttered something inaudible as he slowly reached down to grasp an icicle that had driven itself through his stomach. His knuckles whitened as he gripped it. Staring at me with a strange sense of determination, he let out a roar, and wrenched the icicle out of himself. Now wielding the impromptu dagger, he charged at me. I screamed and scrambled to my feet.  

The second guard grabbed me by the wrist, hoisting me up by one arm.
“What... are you?”

He slowly twisted my wrist. The pain stung as he tightened his grip. The panting sound of the oncoming guard grew louder. Desperate now, I hastily reached up to set myself free, hitting my captor in the face. He opened his mouth to begin a sentence, but it quickly formed into a large O as he let out an ungodly scream. Looking up in surprise, I was met face to face with a true horror. His entire face had caved in, leaving nothing but a dried mummy of a man. He staggered backward, clutching his face. I was dropped to the ground.
Not wanting to look at the first attacker coming at me, I did the first thing that came to mind: Run away. I could hear the security guard calling for backup behind me.



© 2016 Sparkly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
Added on December 30, 2016
Last Updated on December 30, 2016
Tags: original, superhero


Author

Sparkly
Sparkly

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand



About
I'm not particularly skilled in writing, but I do enjoy it and so I created this account in hopes of getting better through other people's advice. Any kind of feedback is welcome, as long as it isn't .. more..

Writing