Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Spencer Arbre
"

A story about genetically programmed soulmates.

"

It honestly pained Quinn to go all day without talking to Rachel again. She couldn't even see the girl because she was too busy with Finn. That oaf. She couldn't even remember why she dated him. In fact, she couldn't even understand why her parents wanted her to imprint on him so badly. They didn't even have the right signs for each other. She had never really thought about their matching signs, even before his showed up. Finn had always been a late bloomer, she figured he would get his letters late as well.

Quinn had gotten her sign before she could remember. She had come down with a bad case of pneumonia and had to be flown out to Indiana to be treated for it. When she came back, she had her sign. She hadn't really thought anything of it because she was to young to realize what it was and her parents never noticed because they were, and still are, drunken jack asses who only focused on their perfect daughter Frannie.

It wasn't fair that everyone got their signs at different parts of their lives. It also wasn't fair that they wouldn't know if they were going to have the same sign as their current partner or not. All Quinn knew was that she was glad she had finally found the girl with her initials on her wrist.

When the final bell rang at the end of the day, Quinn pulled out her phone and texted Rachel. 'Where can I give you back the jacket?' -Q' It didn't take long for a response to come. 'My house. I'll meet you there. -R'

Quinn looked down at her phone confused. 'Are you going to be home when I get there? -Q' The phone lit up with a response only a few seconds later. 'Yes, of course, don't worry. -R'

Quinn stared down at the text, questioning whether or not she should actually go to the house without Rachel to accompany her. She decided it was best to go. She needed to learn how to trust Rachel and this would be a good first step. If Rachel said don't worry, she wouldn't.

Quinn got into her car and drove to Rachel's house. She passed it twice mistaking it for a new apartment complex until she realized there was a mailbox that said 'Berry' in the first driveway. Quinn had not realized how big the house was when she snuck over the previous night. She thought it was big before but now she realized exactly how much she underestimated the house.

Quinn was intimidated by the size and wanted to stay in her car until Rachel got home, so she texted Rachel to let her know that she was going to wait for her. She was greeted with a text that read. 'Don't be afraid, Quinn. Jerry will be there. I told him you were coming. -R' Quinn scoffed and sent a response. 'Who is Jerry and why should I trust him? -Q' A few seconds later she was given and answer. 'Jerry is my favorite butler in the house, now go inside. I expect to see your car empty by the time I get there. -R' Quinn sighed, knowing that she would not win this fight. It had not even been twenty four hours and Rachel already wore the pants.

The blonde got out of her car and walked up the driveway, dreading every step. She rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door. When it finally opened, she was greeted by a tall slender man wearing sweat pants and an apron. He smiled brightly and held out his hand for Quinn to shake. "Hi! I'm Jerry. You must be Miss Fabray. Miss Rachel told me you would be arriving. Come in please. I'm just fixing up some snacks for you girls."

Jerry stepped aside and Quinn took a hesitant step into the house. "It's nice to meet you as well, Jerry. But...uh...why aren't you wearing a shirt… Not to be rude or anything. It's just. I've never seen a butler anywhere but on TV and they are always British and wearing suits."

Jerry laughed and waved off her statement. "There are butlers who like to do that. I live here in the house though, so the Berrys let me wear what I want. They don't mind seeing a twenty-two year old guy shirtless either if you know what I mean." Jerry chuckled to himself as he walked down the hallway.

Quinn sat with Jerry for a good ten minutes, but it only took seconds for her to understand why Jerry was Rachel's favorite butler. One: He never left. Two: He was about as animated as she was. Three: He was an even bigger diva than the brunette. Jerry was also very feminine, at least he seemed to be with the way he was only picking up each slice of tomato with his thumb and forefinger as if the fruit might contaminate him.

Jerry was going on about some drama he had with the older butlers who worked in the house when Quinn heard the door slam. A few minutes later, Rachel walked into the kitchen. "Hey, you two." Rachel put down her backpack and sat on a stool in front of the island. "So I bet you are wondering why I asked you to come here, and why I was late to my own house," Rachel said as she spun herself on the stool.

Quinn smiled and shook her head, "No actually I'm wondering how you managed to get a house of this size in Lima." Quinn said.

"I don't know. My dads like to make houses that are also training facilities as well as business centers so they can have more family time with their hectic schedules. It's good for their business, but I don't want to talk about my dads, or my house, or my money. I want to tell you why you are here."

Rachel rose from her stool and walked around the island until she got to Quinn; she folded her hands in front of her body and leaned forward until her lips gently pressed against Quinn's cheek. Quinn felt her entire body go limp when Rachel's lips touched her skin. "What was that for?" Quinn asked touching her cheek where Rachel's lips had just resided.

"I was going to do that before Finn interrupted us. I assure you I didn't ask you to come here just to kiss you on the cheek. I asked you to come here because I want to ask you to go on a date with me." Rachel waited for a response , but Quinn didn't know what to say. She wanted to say yes but that would risk getting seen in public, getting their secret out and eventually finding it's way to her father.

"Rachel...I..you know we can't do that...I would love to, honestly, but I can't risk that.." When Rachel smiled at Quinn's response, the blonde thought the brunette might actually be going crazy.

"I would never put you in jeopardy that way. I want to take you on a date here. In my house. We can keep our secret, but still do nice things. It's perfect, and you can get to know me. What do you say?" Rachel asked hopefully.

"I say yes," Quinn answered more quickly than she felt was appropriate, but she didn't care. She got to go on a date before she figured out how to ask Rachel to officially be with her. She would take what she could get.

Rachel laughed at how eager Quinn was and led her over to the tray that Jerry was putting food on. "Alright. Then let this officially be the beginning of our first date. What better way to start with than food? The first thing you need to know is that I am a vegan. No meat, dairy, fish, or any animal product is ever to be used on my skin or be ingested and Jerry is the best vegan cook I have ever met. I asked him to make my favorite meal while I was at school." Rachel picked up what appeared to be some sort of wrap and took a bite, "It's official name is the smokey tempeh avocado wrap, but i just call it the avi. Try some." Rachel handed a wrap to Quinn and went back to her own food.

Quinn looked down at the food that was just handed to her and questioned it. What was this foreign food? It smelled like a mixture between a deli sandwich and a salad. She wasn't sure if those those two things were something she would mix before they got to her stomach. It looked like it would taste alright, but Quinn was always skeptical of vegan food, and vegans. They were always preaching about how evil people who ate meat were and how everyone would be happier and healthier if they switched. "If I eat this...are you going to force to become a vegan too?"

Rachel almost choked on her food trying not to laugh at Quinn's question. "No, I would never force you to do anything. I'm just trying to introduce you to things I enjoy. Please, try it. You don't have to take another bite if you don't like it." Quinn looked down at the wrap and shrugged her shoulders. She brought it to her mouth and took a small bite, taking a few seconds to decide if it was good or not.

"This is not what I was expecting at all. This is pretty good," Quinn said, surprised at the discovery. Rachel smiled and shoved the rest of her wrap into her mouth before grabbing another. She swallowed the mouthful of food and spoke again, "The second thing you need to know is food is the key to my heart. I love eating almost as much as I love performing."

Quinn nodded, trying to soak up as much of this valuable information as possible, "I will keep that in mind when you get angry with me." The blonde took another bite of her wrap and looked down at Rachel, "How many things do you have planned for this date tonight?"

Rachel could see the panic in Quinn's eyes and she knew it was because of her father. "Don't worry, you'll be home before seven. I promise. I have just a few things planned for tonight. But I don't want to ruin it so finish your wrap so we can get going."

Quinn was still concerned about getting home without her father suspecting anything but she would try to have fun with Rachel anyway. She shoved the rest of her wrap in her mouth and mumbled 'done' with her mouth completely full which in turn caused Rachel to giggle uncontrollably.

Rachel led her down the longest hallway she had ever walked through before they finally came to an actual room. It seemed that every portion in the house had a different theme. The kitchen was completely platinum except for the floor and counter tops. All of the hallways, at least it seemed to Quinn, had black tile floors with white walls. At the end of this particular hallway were a pair of large doors. "This room is very special to me. I mean...it's where I spend most of my days here when I am alone." Rachel swung one of the doors open and revealed a studio. "This is where I practice. I record everything I sing and critique it, even though I do have perfect pitch, there's always something I can improve."

Quinn took a step into the room and thought she might have walked into a whole other world and not just a different room. "How is this even real?" Quinn whispered to herself. The walls were lined with every different type of guitar you could imagine, and there was an electric keyboard along with a grand piano sitting in the middle of the room. A small section was taken up by a sound booth with a sound panel lining the glass window of the space. There were also other instruments: wind instruments, string instruments, drums, everything.

"It's….I ..I'm sorry if this is overwhelming. We can just stick to the normal kind of dates if you want. Like dinner and a movie, or something." Rachel's voice was so small she sounded like a child who had just been scolded.

"No, Rachel, this is amazing. I just...My family is the wealthiest in Lima and I thought I had seen a lot of stuff. I get everything I want without question but this...this is incredible. It's like living in a dream. You literally have everything."

"I do….but everything really does feel like nothing unless you have someone to share it with. Which is why I'm showing you this room. It's expensive and showy, I know, but it's my favorite. I know you already know that I love to sing, but my dream is to be on Broadway one day. I come home every day and, after doing my homework of course, I come in here and practice for hours. I try to replicate my idols styles and techniques. Specifically Barbra Streisand. I've been working on 'My Man' from Funny Girl for about six years now and I still can't sing it as well as her."

Quinn listened intently as she walked further into the room. "I'm sorry, who?" Quinn asked finally being snapping back into reality. "I don't know who that is, or what that is…"

Rachel's face went blank, and she stared at Quinn for a long moment, "You don't know who Barbra is…?"

Quinn took a step back at the seriousness of the question; if looks could kill she would be dead. "No, I'm sorry. Lima isn't a very cultured town."

Rachel grabbed Quinn's hand and dragged her out of the room, "Change of plans. We cannot continue in this relationship if you do not know what Funny Girl is and especially not if you don't know who Barbra is." Rachel dragged Quinn down the long hallway and across the main hall to what seemed to be another endless hallway on the other side. The girls came to another pair of large doors when Rachel finally stopped. "Quinn, we will frequent this room often and it will be a learning experience for you. This is the theater in our house. Yes we have a theater.." Rachel said when she saw Quinn gaping again, "You will have to get used to my stuff. Anyway. We are going to watch Funny Girl. So please," Rachel swung one of the doors open to reveal a dimly lit room with lines of red velvet chairs, "go take a seat."

Quinn walked into the dark room and took a seat in the back row, a few seconds later, a bright light shone on the far wall and overture began to play. Rachel came bounding down the aisle and plopped down next to Quinn. "Ready?!" Rachel's excitement brought a smile to Quinn's face, and when Rachel turned to watch the movie, the blonde kept her eyes on the other girl for a moment longer, memorizing the way the light reflected off her glossy eyes and the small smiled that never seemed to leave her lips.

Quinn smiled to herself and turned to watch the movie. She tried not to look over at Rachel too much but every time another song came on, she heard Rachel singing softly to herself. Quinn tried to hide her amusement but a giggle slipped out. Rachel glared at the blonde but eventually turned back to the movie and continued to sing.

Quinn decided she had seen every emotion Rachel Berry had to offer by the end of Funny Girl, but she was proven wrong with the ending ballad. Rachel sang every word of the song as she had throughout the movie, but this time it was different. This time Quinn could tell that Rachel felt the song, she was singing from her heart, even if her voice was small she could tell the girl was trying hard to hold back. A single tear rolled down the brunette's face but they were quickly wiped away. As soon as the musical was over Rachel turned to Quinn expectantly. "So….? Please tell me you loved it because I will not accept any less of an answer."

"I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if i can share your love for Barbra yet, only because I don't quite understand everything about her or this," Quinn motioned to the room, "but one day I assure you I will understand and I will share your passion. Your passions are mine as well."

Rachel smiled and bit her bottom lip. "And you were gushing about how perfect I was for you…"

Quinn blushed and ducked her head, "We're mates, we are supposed to be perfect."

Rachel smiled and rose from her seat. "Unfortunately this date must come to an end because Barbra has taken up two hours of our time and it is already six thirty. You need to get home."

Quinn felt the frown take over her face but rose from her seat as well. "I…" Quinn started but decided not to continue the sentence. "I'll see you tomorrow, right?"

"Of course Quinn. You'll see me every day," Rachel reassured the blonde.

The two girls walked back down the seemingly endless hallways and back to the kitchen where Quinn left her belongings. She gathered her things and walked back to the front door with Rachel. "I guess this is goodnight?" Quinn was unsure of how to end a date. She had been on many but never with anyone she actually cared about. She had never actually had to worry about impressing anyone until Rachel, and the pressure was making her palms sweat and the butterflies in her stomach turn into bats.

"No..not unless you don't plan on texting my alter ego Ray until you fall asleep tonight. If you are going to ditch me then I guess it's goodnight," Rachel teased. She could see that Quinn was flustered with the whole situation and wanted to lighten the mood, but based on the tight smile that formed on Quinn's lips, she had not accomplished her goal. "What's wrong? Did you not like our date? I know my interests are not mainstream or really even that interesting at all but… I was hoping th-"

"No! No, I loved our date," Quinn interrupted Rachel, "It was honestly the best date I have ever been on. I've never had anyone be so open and honest with me. Especially not on a first date. I'm just really not looking forward to going home."

Rachel nodded in understanding, "Well…" Rachel stepped closer, "What if I gave you something to...keep your mind off of things until we see each other tomorrow?"

A small smile played on Quinn's lips, "I would like that very much".

"Alright I'll go get it. Just close your eyes and keep your hands held out like this," Rachel held her hands in front of her with her palms up.

Quinn mirrored the girl's actions and closed her eyes awaiting her surprise. She wasn't sure why she had to close her eyes but played along anyway. She heard the click of Rachel's shoes on the tile fade away down another hallway. She wasn't sure which one because there were so many of them.

It felt like a long time before Quinn heard Rachel's footsteps coming back towards her but when she heard them she couldn't help but let a huge smile take over her face. "What did you bring me?" Quinn asked eagerly.

"It's a surprise, silly, I can't just tell you.." Rachel very quietly placed the item she had brought back for Quinn on the table in the front hallway and stood in front of the blonde once again. "Are you ready for your surprise?" Quinn nodded, Rachel took another step closer to the girl. "Okay, don't move alright?" Quinn nodded again and waited. She didn't feel anything in her hands but she felt the other girl take yet another step closer to her. She was confused as to what was going on until she could feel Rachel's breath tickling her lips as she hovered only inches away from her own. The blonde swallowed hard and tried to keep calm. She wasn't sure that she was prepared for what this moment might bring but she wanted it more than anything.

Rachel was slowly inching closer, she was gently brushing her lips over Quinn's and it was killing her, until Rachel wrapped her arms around Quinn's waist and pulled her in closer. The blonde's breath caught in her throat as she felt Rachel's breath tickle her skin. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest and she thought she literally might be having a heart attack.

"You would love for me to kiss you right now," Rachel's voice was low and husky and nothing like Quinn had ever imagined, "you can think about what it would feel like to kiss me." Rachel ran her hands down Quinn's back before she pulled away and Quinn had to remember how to breathe again. She looked around the room trying to find anything to focus on other than Rachel's lips. "But in all seriousness here is your surprise," Rachel grabbed a journal off the table and handed it to Quinn. "It's my journal? Diary? I don't know. It's mostly just drawings, short poems, stories. I want you to read it. I've never even told anyone about it. But this is me."

Quinn took the journal and gently held it to her chest. "Are you sure? This is only our first date."

"I'm sure, I trust you, Quinn. Please read it." Rachel smiled and kissed Quinn's cheek, "Now please go home, I don't want you to get in trouble because of me." Rachel opened the door for Quinn.

"So you will kiss my cheek but not my lips?" Quinn pouted walking out the door.

"I'll kiss them one day, when you're ready. I know about all the chemicals and whatnot now too. I just...I want to be careful with you. I'm going to take care of you Quinn. I promise." Rachel closed the door behind her and stood on her front steps.

The sun was beginning to set and the dim light made Rachel's skin almost glow. Quinn lost her breath for the second time that day as she looked up at Rachel, her mate. Rachel was in ever sense of the word perfect, she was going to take care of her, that was something she had never heard before. There was always a distance, a barrier keeping people from seeing the real Quinn, from seeing how weak she really was. She needed to be taken care of no matter how much she wanted ot believe that she could do everything on her own. She felt nothing but adoration for the girl, she still wasn't sure how to how it yet but she was slowly learning how to let down her walls and let Rachel in. "Thank you, Rachel."

Rachel folded her arms and nodded towards the car, "You don't have to thank me. Now get home, please."

Quinn did as she was told, she started her car but hesitated before pulling away from the house. She felt like so many things had changed in such a short time. So many things were going to be different in her life now because of Rachel Berry. She felt content for the first time in her life and as she drove home the only thing she thought of were the contents in the journal and Rachel's lips.

Quinn had gotten home at seven fifteen. She entered the house to find her father sitting in the living room. "Hello, Lucy." Quinn hated when her father called her by her real name, but she knew he loved it. He loved to make her feel small and inadequate. The man stood from his chair and walked towards Quinn. She knew she was in trouble, her only towered over her when he wanted to be intimidating. "What's this?" He asked pointing towards the journal.

"It's homework. I need to go do it so I'll just go up to my room and…." But before Quinn could finish her father knocked the journal out of her hands.

"Bullshit." Her father spat out. Quinn wrapped her arms around herself trying to hide from her fathers glare but her leaned closer to her. "I know you have not been at school all this time. Cheerios is over and glee club is not even scheduled today. Where were you?"

Quinn opened and closed her mouth, she had to think about what she was going to say next. Russell Fabray was a large man and Quinn knew that he would not hesitate to hit her if he didn't like her answer. "I was at Finn's house." Quinn lied but she knew she would get away with it.

Russell back away and smoothed his face, "Alright. Don't be late again. You know what happens when you break the rules. Go do your homework, I don't want to see you again until tomorrow after school."

"Yes, sir." Quinn replied as she scurried up the stairs to her room. She closed the door as quietly as she could. She leaned against the door and closed her eyes as the relief washed over her. She couldn't believe she had gotten away with that lie but she was glad she did.

When she calmed down she laid on her bed and pulled out her phone to text Rachel she was home. 'I got back 15 minutes late :/ -Q'

Within a few seconds there was a response 'Are you okay? -R'

'I'm fine, nothing happened. -Q'

'Good, I'll make sure to get you home earlier next time. -R'

'It's okay, I just need to keep an eye on the time. I'm nervous to read your journal.. -Q'

'lol why? -R'

'It's like I'm walking into your mind or something. I feel like I am invading your privacy or somthing. -Q'

'I gave it to you… -R'

'I know but still -Q'

'Just relax, it's not a school assignment you can read it whenever you want. I'm sure your curiosity will get the best of you anyway. -R'

Quinn and Rachel texted until Quinn's eyes started to droop but the blonde forced herself to stay awake. She would rather struggle with exhaustion the next day than miss a second of talking to Rachel.

She closed her eyes and saw Rachel behind her eyelids. She saw her tan skin and her chocolate brown eyes. She imagined how the girl's lips would actually feel on her own. She could almost feel Rachel's lips tickling her skin when her phone buzzed again.

'Quinn your texts are getting farther and farther apart. Go to sleep -R'

'No. I'm going to stay awake! -Q'

'Maybe you'll have dreams about my kisses… -R'

'Goodnight -Q'



© 2015 Spencer Arbre


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on October 14, 2015
Last Updated on October 14, 2015
Tags: love, lust, passion, lesbian, gay, lgbt, soulmates, soulmate, drama, high school


Author

Spencer Arbre
Spencer Arbre

About
22 In College I write stories in my free time I normally write the dreaded fan fiction because I feel very strongly connected to two specific characters.(Judge me) I have ventured here because I w.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Spencer Arbre


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Spencer Arbre


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Spencer Arbre